Some HW help needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
jbma: Now running off my ATI 9250SE, can't find the DVI cable so running on analog for now. So far so good.

ernest_ted said:
so far so good ???

u need to t/loan an ext 300g hdd for backup ?
Currently ok, seems stable, will be backing up the current NEFs into my PB first. Sadly lost some documents that I deemed important. Sigh.

Oh yeah, found the DVI cable, now running off DVI.

eawtan said:
Or bad memory controller ....
Shrugs... kept hitting the BSOD on start, tried to do a system restore, failed, but then it boots back up normally again.

As long as it can let me do my Capture, View, CD/DVD cutting, surfing, DVD/CD printing, PDF/Word, PS, I ok already.

Could it be power supply problem also? As most HWZ people? Sometime that could happen.

espn said:
Shrugs... kept hitting the BSOD on start, tried to do a system restore, failed, but then it boots back up normally again.

As long as it can let me do my Capture, View, CD/DVD cutting, surfing, DVD/CD printing, PDF/Word, PS, I ok already.
From yesterday and your current error, look like your motherboard is failing. Now very good new. When BSOD, what STOP code do you have?

espn said:
I will update to the latest tonight, I was using a copy I downloaded 10mths ago when I built this system.

Just back from SLS with markccm, bought a ATI9250SE @ $62 with DVI :thumbsup:
Good price. I am using the same card too.

guessing.
it should be video failure.
which end up causing your HDD to get corrupt / disk error.

i come across this before.
got my spare video card replaced the existing one.
works fine for a while till i try reformat my HDD. (which is giving some abnormal sound and have problem format certain sectors.)

tested my problem card on a new m/b .. end up the video giving weird display (most of the time).

FYI. my m/b may be dieing also. i guessing my monitor or TV card shock my video card and my m/b.

currently using a new system.
and old system still running. (hopefully that HDD dont give way).

btw ask yourself, is ur pc system properly grounded??

mine not... (like the most of us out there)

hi espn,

i encountered the same problem with my other PC and found out that the VC (AGP) is giving the problem... I put my spare PCI VC and since last week the PC now boot properly (i mean with display and can go through windows)........

hope u recover ur data ......

zcf said:
Could it be power supply problem also? As most HWZ people? Sometime that could happen.
I'm using an AOPEN 350W PSU that I bought the same time when I retrofitted my system 10months ago, running only 1 FDD, 2 HDD, 1 DVD-RW, 1 USB RFID for keyboard/mouse, it might be the PSU, but I think it's pretty unlikely that it should fail so fast... :(

Ola said:
From yesterday and your current error, look like your motherboard is failing. Now very good new. When BSOD, what STOP code do you have?
MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION.

According to M$, http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329284

iria said:
guessing.
it should be video failure.
which end up causing your HDD to get corrupt / disk error.

i come across this before.
got my spare video card replaced the existing one.
works fine for a while till i try reformat my HDD. (which is giving some abnormal sound and have problem format certain sectors.)

tested my problem card on a new m/b .. end up the video giving weird display (most of the time).

FYI. my m/b may be dieing also. i guessing my monitor or TV card shock my video card and my m/b.

currently using a new system.
and old system still running. (hopefully that HDD dont give way).
It's really weird the way devices act now, was online talking to Idor last night and found that technology is moving but all the odler problems aren't being resolved and still up to neck deep of bugs/problems, sigh, problems will never cease.

iria said:
btw ask yourself, is ur pc system properly grounded??

mine not... (like the most of us out there)
:what: Grounded? What's that ? :bsmilie:

No la... I live in HDB, the grounding's already built into the block :)

nywreb said:
hi espn,

i encountered the same problem with my other PC and found out that the VC (AGP) is giving the problem... I put my spare PCI VC and since last week the PC now boot properly (i mean with display and can go through windows)........

hope u recover ur data ......
Thanks nryweb, that was helpful :thumbsup: If only HW problems can be resolved like programming... :rolleyes: HW is too hard to troubleshoot when you've nothing spared at home.. sigh. No $ thanks to photography... :bsmilie:

espn said:
MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION.

According to M$, http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329284

It's really weird the way devices act now, was online talking to Idor last night and found that technology is moving but all the odler problems aren't being resolved and still up to neck deep of bugs/problems, sigh, problems will never cease.
Do you always get the same STOP code?
Sure sound like some hardware issue.
Not going to be easy for you to troubleshoot.
What is the brand and model of your motherboard, CPU and RAM?

espn said:
jbma: Now running off my ATI 9250SE, can't find the DVI cable so running on analog for now. So far so good.
You are right in saying that solving HW problem is never easy unless you have spare of everything. The more I look at it the more I feel sure that my problem is a bad RAM. Will be getting spare RAMS today and see if this will resolve it. I have suspected the memory module but decided to look at the VC first. Now it seems even more certain that in my case the memory is causing it as I do sometimes get a page fault error.

espn said:
:what: Grounded? What's that ? :bsmilie:

No la... I live in HDB, the grounding's already built into the block :)
your equipment grounding has little in connection to HDB's ground provided for by means of the 3 pin power point. The ground point is there but I guess he was asking if your PC is grounded properly to the point. Other grounding points include various points provided on the motherboard to be ground to the casing by means of the screws.

I find hardware all so much easier to troubleshoot than sw :D

jbma said:
You are right in saying that solving HW problem is never easy unless you have spare of everything. The more I look at it the more I feel sure that my problem is a bad RAM. Will be getting spare RAMS today and see if this will resolve it. I have suspected the memory module but decided to look at the VC first. Now it seems even more certain that in my case the memory is causing it as I do sometimes get a page fault error.
If you have more than 1 piece of RAM, it will be easier to troubleshoot. Run the system with 1 piece of RAM until the faulty RAM is identify.

Status
Not open for further replies.