Some HW help needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
wantunn said:
Ouch. Too late for that option then. Good luck on the recovery
Sigh thanks, hope none of you have to face such pain :cry:

espn said:
I used to have the knoppix, but I can't find the disc now, and it's no use because the partition is gone already, even if I mount it, the filesystem is not complete anymore :(

:( :(
I believe there is still a chance to recover the data even with the partition gone. Can try the following software.
http://www.partition-recovery.com/

Hope it helps. ;)

espn said:
Yeah now seriously contemplating to run RAID 1 off my SATA controllers, but that means I need to buy 2 200GB SATA HDDs and what will I do with my current PATA? Sian 0.5 liao. Sigh. I prefer to run HW RAID as I'm afraid SW RAID cannot duplicate the array properly.

There's no abnormal sound, if there is I'd have noticed and avoid booting up the HDD already. Sigh, very sad hor? Just boot up PC to find that I have to perspire, dismantle and troubleshoot at 9.30pm :( fortunately I still have a PowerBook to come online and post for help. So far people are very helpful :thumbsup:

The HDD's MBR is already gone, bo pian liao, even if can mount it cannot detect a filesystem, gotta format, FDISK again :( sigh. I'm only planning to reinstall Windows on the HDD as my current 40GB has some other valuable information which I need to keep. So I'm going to risk losing that 10GB+ of data which I hope won't be anything important to me. I'm well aware of the risk of doing it lor, but I don't have a choice. Sigh.

I only want back my duck shots taken from dec till now. Fortunately my other shots from last saturday are still intact on my CF card. :sweat: else I really :mad2:

With hard disk getting cheaper now, you should run RAID 1 on your SATA controller and have your current PATA hard disk replaced and use as a backup disk. That's what I have been doing.

HW and SW RAID both works fine. For HW RAID, when either drive is faulty, it will still boot up normally. For SW RAID, usually called poor man RAID will need to do some re-configuration if the failed hard disk is the first hard disk. If possible always go for HW RAID.

Sometime the abnormal sound is not very obvious, it take a trained ear to notice. You might have done more damage and reduce the chance of recovering your data. I hope it not some very important data. It's always good to have a standard backup routine which depend on how much data you can afford to lose.

Wish you all the luck in recovering your data.

Wah King's Shot!

duck2.jpg

duck3.jpg

espn said:
:kok: :kok:

Formatting is fine as it's not a low level format, formatting doesn't destroy the data, it just erases the FAT totally, the OS will see the space in use marked as available and will just overwrite with data when necessary. Reconstructing the FAT table will enable the files to be found back.

Buying a 2nd HDD is no problem, but then my data is all missing as I found the partitions all gone liao :(

Learnt something new.. err.. tot XP is NTFS??!

That's why I use DVD back up. cheaper, safer and efficient.

Ola said:
I believe there is still a chance to recover the data even with the partition gone. Can try the following software.
http://www.partition-recovery.com/

Hope it helps. ;)
My software has recovered most of my NEFs, fortunately I had already backed up my Japan trip's images. Phew.

Now the system is hitting another error, the system after I installed some applications would freeze for a whlie, then reverts to 640 x 480 in 256 colours and prompts me to save work and reboot as it has hit a serious problem. After rebooting it would prompt me to send the error to M$.

It was working fine till I installed my s/w, got a feeling it's the video card. Will be getting a spare one to test it if tonight I reach home and the same problem occurs.

Ola said:
With hard disk getting cheaper now, you should run RAID 1 on your SATA controller and have your current PATA hard disk replaced and use as a backup disk. That's what I have been doing.

HW and SW RAID both works fine. For HW RAID, when either drive is faulty, it will still boot up normally. For SW RAID, usually called poor man RAID will need to do some re-configuration if the failed hard disk is the first hard disk. If possible always go for HW RAID.

Sometime the abnormal sound is not very obvious, it take a trained ear to notice. You might have done more damage and reduce the chance of recovering your data. I hope it not some very important data. It's always good to have a standard backup routine which depend on how much data you can afford to lose.

Wish you all the luck in recovering your data.
Yep, have seriously considered, so will get a 200GB this weekend and do normal back up, if anything happens at least I still have a copy. Spent a night scanning my drives for lost NEFs, found 18xx NEFs but about at least 1xx are damaged, but hey, who am I to complain?

erizai said:
Learnt something new.. err.. tot XP is NTFS??!
I was referring to the file allocation table (FAT) not FAT or FAT32 as in file system.

erizai said:
That's why I use DVD back up. cheaper, safer and efficient.
If the OS and HDD refuses to boot, even if you have CISCO tape backup also no use.

espn said:
My software has recovered most of my NEFs, fortunately I had already backed up my Japan trip's images. Phew.

Now the system is hitting another error, the system after I installed some applications would freeze for a whlie, then reverts to 640 x 480 in 256 colours and prompts me to save work and reboot as it has hit a serious problem. After rebooting it would prompt me to send the error to M$.

It was working fine till I installed my s/w, got a feeling it's the video card. Will be getting a spare one to test it if tonight I reach home and the same problem occurs.
Sound like a bad video card or video driver. It also could be your applications (slim chance). Just made sure you are using the latest stable driver for your video card and update whatever patches for your applications if necessary.
If your hard disk is working fine, do scan for boot sector virus. It strange that your system can just lost it FAT without warning.

Ola said:
Sound like a bad video card or video driver. It also could be your applications (slim chance). Just made sure you are using the latest stable driver for your video card and update whatever patches for your applications if necessary.
If your hard disk is working fine, do scan for boot sector virus. It strange that your system can just lost it FAT without warning.
I'm off to SLS later with markccm, will probably purchase a temp VC to use on my system (^^$^^) and see if the same problem occured, problem occured after installing my VIA 4-in-1 methinks.

Yeah, it's just plain weird for no reason my MBR/FAT is all gone too. Sigh.

espn said:
Yep, have seriously considered, so will get a 200GB this weekend and do normal back up, if anything happens at least I still have a copy. Spent a night scanning my drives for lost NEFs, found 18xx NEFs but about at least 1xx are damaged, but hey, who am I to complain?
Sound like you have recovered most of your files. No need to consider. Use your famous line "MTL BBB". Do consider having at least 2 copies of backup. First copy in external hard disk for quick access and second copy in DVD or tape for long term storage. Tape usually is a better options as they last longer if keep in controlled environment. DVD usually have a life span of 10 yrs (might be longer now).

Ola said:
Sound like you have recovered most of your files. No need to consider. Use your famous line "MTL BBB". Do consider having at least 2 copies of backup. First copy in external hard disk for quick access and second copy in DVD or tape for long term storage. Tape usually is a better options as they last longer if keep in controlled environment. DVD usually have a life span of 10 yrs (might be longer now).
When it's necessary, I confirm BBB MTL, no 2nd doubts.

I'm going to get another HDD as back up too, but think today only got time for a VC shopping & upgrade my PB RAM to 1.25GB.

As for DVD backup, it's really my bad, I relied on my HDD too much that I didn't bother to back up :(

espn said:
I'm off to SLS later with markccm, will probably purchase a temp VC to use on my system (^^$^^) and see if the same problem occured, problem occured after installing my VIA 4-in-1 methinks.

Yeah, it's just plain weird for no reason my MBR/FAT is all gone too. Sigh.
VIA 4-in-1 should be your system board drivers. You should get the latest update for your motherboard to try. Could be just the drivers issue.
No harm getting a spare VC too. ;)

espn said:
Hey this is exactly what's happening to me too. I've changed my video card but problem still exist. Now I intend to dismantle each and every hardware and install Windows only and see if the problem persist. It is weird. Working on 2048 x 1536 then suddenly it say hardware error and goes to 640 x 480 and ask me to reboot. After reboot it works fine for about 2 to 3 days before this happens again.

I thought I was the only one who faces this problem. PM me and let me know what works for you so that I can try it too.

Ola said:
VIA 4-in-1 should be your system board drivers. You should get the latest update for your motherboard to try. Could be just the drivers issue.
No harm getting a spare VC too. ;)
I will update to the latest tonight, I was using a copy I downloaded 10mths ago when I built this system.

Just back from SLS with markccm, bought a ATI9250SE @ $62 with DVI :thumbsup:

jbma said:
Hey this is exactly what's happening to me too. I've changed my video card but problem still exist. Now I intend to dismantle each and every hardware and install Windows only and see if the problem persist. It is weird. Working on 2048 x 1536 then suddenly it say hardware error and goes to 640 x 480 and ask me to reboot. After reboot it works fine for about 2 to 3 days before this happens again.

I thought I was the only one who faces this problem. PM me and let me know what works for you so that I can try it too.
No problems, once I test out with my new VC, I see how the results are.

NC30 said:
i surpised no one give this easy steps solve your problem easily

Step 1
Step 2
Step 3
Sure, if your PC is down, I'd like to see how you do search/google when you can't even access the internet. Be smarter if you're trying to make me look stupid because blind copying doesn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.