Some HW help needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dennis said:
Yeh now NAS is getting cheaper by the day because of usage of non SCSI HD as well.
BTW there are not many wireless routers with GB LAN support currently.
I am currently testing the D-Link 4300 Gaming Router.
Well if I'm going to use it for data only, I can survive with my router @ MB-LAN, just work off my RAID 1 HDDs on the main PC, after that run a cron job/script to copy to GB-LAN NAS. :think:

espn said:
But talking about resilent & ease of heart, RAID 5 offers me more redundancy over RAID 1, 0+1
RAID 5, 1 or 1+0 offer the same redundancy. It's the number of disk and amount of "wastage" that you need to consider.

espn said:
Thot RAID 50 best? :sticktong I'm not that rich though.
RAID 0+1 or 1+0 or 10 is the best. All of them refer to the same thing.

Ola said:
RAID 5, 1 or 1+0 offer the same redundancy. It's the number of disk and amount of "wastage" that you need to consider.
Having lost my data and system setup fail on me so often (2ce in the last 10months), I think a little expenditure probably can help me to ease my heartpain :cry:

lol .. alot of pro here...

may be we should have a premenant thread for this...

yah NAS is the better solution..

+

dual boot os.....

espn said:
Having lost my data and system setup fail on me so often (2ce in the last 10months), I think a little expenditure probably can help me to ease my heartpain :cry:
True... backup has always been the lowest priority for everyone until data are lost.
Can consider the following if you are interested in home NAS.
http://www.buffalo-asia.com/cgi-bin/products/detail.cgi?country=sg&code=2&id=117
http://www.buffalo-asia.com/cgi-bin/products/detail.cgi?country=sg&code=2&id=45

On this note, the old model Buffalo 1Tb Terastation is going for $1399, The newer model (Terastation Pro) will be in around Apr IIRC and should retail around $1799.
Actually the Terastation is currently quite good value for money.

Ola said:
True... backup has always been the lowest priority for everyone until data are lost.
Can consider the following if you are interested in home NAS.
http://www.buffalo-asia.com/cgi-bin/products/detail.cgi?country=sg&code=2&id=117
http://www.buffalo-asia.com/cgi-bin/products/detail.cgi?country=sg&code=2&id=45

Dennis said:
On this note, the old model Buffalo 1Tb Terastation is going for $1399, The newer model (Terastation Pro) will be in around Apr IIRC and should retail around $1799.
Actually the Terastation is currently quite good value for money.
Are you referring to this?
http://www.buffalo-asia.com/cgi-bin/products/comingsoon.cgi?country=sg

I am waiting for it.

espn said:

King, are you still having problems with your computer? where you stay? maybe free service for you to fix your computer.

Dennis said:
Yes, this is the Terastation Pro, it should be in Singapore round Apr.
Original also wanted this but can't wait and anyway now the one I have is better.
What did you get? So far I couldn't find one that is better than the Terastation series and the Terastation has limitation.

Got a Thecus 4100 with 4 x 300Gb 7200.9 Sata II Seagate HD.
Equal to Terastation Pro and with hotswap.
They have also just launch the 5200.

Ola said:
What did you get? So far I couldn't find one that is better than the Terastation series and the Terastation has limitation.

Dennis said:
How much did the setup cost you? You didn't arrange for hotspares?

Total $2030, with 4 disk raid 5 I think no need for hot spare (Waste money leh).
If not too fussy can get Terastation at $1399, 1 Tb, after format raid 5 maybe around 750Gb

espn said:
How much did the setup cost you? You didn't arrange for hotspares?

Dennis said:
Total $2030, with 4 disk raid 5 I think no need for hot spare (Waste money leh).
If not too fussy can get Terastation at $1399, 1 Tb, after format raid 5 maybe around 750Gb
2K sounds ok. At least if I can sleep at night, tomorrow night and every night... :think:

Dennis said:
Does it support Chinese character? The Terastation has problem with Chinese character. If the filename is in Chinese, it will not be able to save in the terastation.
BTW where or which vendor did you get your Thecus from?

Yeh, that is what I thought so too. I nearly lost my data when my old machine died once on me. Luckily can get back. So from than onwards I was looking for new machine and a new storage system. Now my new PC and new storage systems works wonderfully together and I get reliability and peace of mind.

espn said:
2K sounds ok. At least if I can sleep at night, tomorrow night and every night... :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.