Some HW help needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dennis said:
Wah just saw your problem bro. So now OK liow ?.
If still need spare graphic card I have, HD I also have.
I just upgraded to Raid 5 and is happy with my current system.
Added
If need to use Exboot for system backup and recovery also I have.
If need info on the Raid 5 I using PM me.
Wah brudder, RAID 5 ah... I thought you upgraded to RAID 50 liao leh. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the offer, but so far everything seems to be up liao, if need to trouble you will let you know.

Just that now very heart pain, lost a few good NEFs that cannot be retrieved properly. Sigh. If you'd buy me a D2X, it might soothen my pain and loss.

I was nearly contemplating RAID 5 + 1 hot spare, but my mobo only support SATA RAID and I'm still using PATA, so thought of getting a HW RAID card, $40+ only. But at this moment will get another 200GB to do manual backups, once I can afford it, I will implement RAID 5 + 1 hotspare.

iria said:
u just answer it. give stress your comp. see if it comes back..
btw u did backup your important data liao?
Yup last night backed up my saturday's shots (which was still in my CF) and also backed up my duck shots, salvaged whatever that's left. :(

Also transferred some shots to my PowerBook for keeping.

espn said:
If I understand all the 0s and 1s printed in the log that is... :sweat:
The event log is a useful place to start. It's in English and should not be a problem reading it. If it is hardware error, sometime the event might not even be register there. In fact, the best is the memory dump file if you know how to analyze it. ;)

Ola said:
The event log is a useful place to start. It's in English and should not be a problem reading it. If it is hardware error, sometime the event might not even be register there. In fact, the best is the memory dump file if you know how to analyze it. ;)
Wahaha.. I'll have to be a M$ advocate to understand M$ dump files ;) Thanks for the highlight, some are easy to resolve when in plain english, some are ambiguous and vague and I hate to troubleshoot M$ as the answers out there on google are mostly very ambiguous or everybody just accepts the problem as is. :)

No need raid 5 plus hot spare, just raid 5 plus hot swap can lah.
No need motherboard to support, like that very troublesome.
My raid is external, I run Gigabit network, also upgraded my router to have wireless and gigabit switch. Now all PC can retrive data from my almost 1Tb storage. :lovegrin:

espn said:
Wah brudder, RAID 5 ah... I thought you upgraded to RAID 50 liao leh. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the offer, but so far everything seems to be up liao, if need to trouble you will let you know.

Just that now very heart pain, lost a few good NEFs that cannot be retrieved properly. Sigh. If you'd buy me a D2X, it might soothen my pain and loss.

I was nearly contemplating RAID 5 + 1 hot spare, but my mobo only support SATA RAID and I'm still using PATA, so thought of getting a HW RAID card, $40+ only. But at this moment will get another 200GB to do manual backups, once I can afford it, I will implement RAID 5 + 1 hotspare.

espn said:

those Sata raid not really 100% "h/w" raid ..

only those like adaptec scis raid card = h/w raid

Dennis said:
My raid is external, I run Gigabit network, also upgraded my router to have wireless and gigabit switch. Now all PC can retrive data from my almost 1Tb storage. :lovegrin:
Wahaha... well if I can have a StorEdge attached to my system... :thumbsup: I also no need to worry... but as usual I'm just dreaming :D

espn said:
Wahaha.. I'll have to be a M$ advocate to understand M$ dump files ;) Thanks for the highlight, some are easy to resolve when in plain english, some are ambiguous and vague and I hate to troubleshoot M$ as the answers out there on google are mostly very ambiguous or everybody just accepts the problem as is. :)
That's how BG becomes the richest man in the world. ;)
If you need performance, use RAID 1 or RAID 0+1 (best).
RAID 5 has lousy write performance.

Dennis said:

dont uderstand.."My raid is external:

u mean NAS???

iria said:
those Sata raid not really 100% "h/w" raid ..

only those like adaptec scis raid card = h/w raid
Erm.. me not going to buy 10K RPM SCSI drives and use as RAID ;p IDE cheaper.

Dennis said:
:eek: Is that your home network or office?

Ola said:
But talking about resilent & ease of heart, RAID 5 offers me more redundancy over RAID 1, 0+1

Ola said:

tgt 10 the best..
if y got 4 HDD though.. hehe

Ola said:
:eek: Is that your home network or office?
Nowdays, home using NAS is very common also, technology costs is going down.

iria said:
tgt 10 the best..
if y got 4 HDD though.. hehe
Thot RAID 50 best? :sticktong I'm not that rich though.

Dennis said:
Oh external means it is a box by itself.
This is in my home lah, office use less advance stuff leh.
Maybe got time over kopi I talk to you more on NAS, my current system got GB-LAN also, but my router still 100mbps.

Yeh now NAS is getting cheaper by the day because of usage of non SCSI HD as well.
BTW there are not many wireless routers with GB LAN support currently.
I am currently testing the D-Link 4300 Gaming Router.

espn said:
But talking about resilent & ease of heart, RAID 5 offers me more redundancy over RAID 1, 0+1

what i did is

do paritioning..

2 pri ==> for 2 OS (dual boot capablitily).

the rest for your storage -- up to u. , but need to backup data regularly.
RAID 1 if you like.. but be careful here.

btw i ghost the image for the 2 OSs. just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.