[ Rubbish Thread ] Why so many people use canon rather than olympus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thots on sensor size: ....Actually its not juz about the size. I rate sensor quality 30%, the other 70% goes to the DSP behind. There was once upon a time a FF DSLR call NX digital by Contax featuring 6MP, it's not even close to the E1 or any of the 6MP crop sensor of its time. Although 4/3 sensor is marginally smaller in absolute dimension than those 1.5/1.6/1.7x crop sensor, but i can see Oly continuously putting in effort to improve it. Juz look at the cheapo PL1, pretty impressed for what Oly has achieved. :)

1) Purple banding, not noise

This one relates to the circuitry design, so dun think can totally eliminate, but can be toned down by refining the circuit design.

boonsong said:
2) Refusal to produce affordable low light lens

Kind of agree with this point. How difficult its to make a F1.8 85mm or 50mm or 35mm or 22mm or 14mm prime? This kind of focal length i consider "classic" length, shudn't be that hard to refine old OM design & put them in modern mount & electronics.

boonsong said:
3) Poor autofocus in low light
This one has plagued Oly since E1 days. Maybe Oly is tackling one issue at a time with every release of the pro body. Eeeks!! That means the improvement is going to be once every 3yrs?? :sweat:

boonsong said:
4) Poor software
How many event shooters out there actually use Studio/Master to organize the photos?
I am not sure how good the new viewer software is. Hopefully it is better.

Actually while i was using E1 for jobs, i use the Studio for all the conversion needs. Pretty good le. I do time lapse with it, batch rename, etc. I stick to Studio mainly becos i cudn't find another 3rd party app that cud give the same IQ standard, closest i found was the Capture 1 from Phase.

boonsong said:
5) Not listening to users-- e.g. E-3 Battery Grip issues.

This point no comments cos i never find a grip useful. Film days, yes, cos it functioned as a winder & motordrive, no need to recock the lever everytime. If canon makes a 1Ds w/o grip for $4k+ i'll probably get it. I find the 1 series IQ unrivaled by their lower end models 5D2 incl. So getting rid of the vert grip & weight & lowering the price is good for me :lovegrin:

boonsong said:
Conclusion
Fix the purple banding artifacts, fix the poor software, fix the autofocus issue and start listening to users. And while you are at it, make ISO1600 decent for users. Sorry but I simply have no taste for photos with flash and zero ambient light...

Actually Oly does listen to customers. As per any company, they will balance feedback & feasibility & strategy with their respective dept. I hope their next pro body has some jaw dropping break thru. IMHO, they shud seek their "NASA" dept to help sought out the noise & DR issue :light:

Well, whether canon or olympus, the setup of lenses are important... not forgetting ur budget... and the available reviews for research before purchasing...
I'm still stuck btwn canon and pentax, but leaning more towards canon due to #mm lenses available like 24L II, 135L, 85 F1.8 for expansion.
Well more importantly as an end user, is how connected you are to your camera... Each system has pros and cons. criteria for choosing them is What would u want to fight for, and what can u compromise...

I was also considering between Canon and Pentax, but after reading the reviews, I got a EOS 7D yesterday. This is my first DSLR camera. Previously I was using Lumix DMC FZ5 for the simple reason that it was what I could afford at the time. Prior to that I was using Nikon SLRs.

This point no comments cos i never find a grip useful. Film days, yes, cos it functioned as a winder & motordrive, no need to recock the lever everytime. If canon makes a 1Ds w/o grip for $4k+ i'll probably get it. I find the 1 series IQ unrivaled by their lower end models 5D2 incl. So getting rid of the vert grip & weight & lowering the price is good for me :lovegrin:

never like a grip either, but when you at an event shooting from almost 8am to 10pm and working with longer lenses, it helps to carry it like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDsx3-FWfwk :D

Actually Oly does listen to customers. As per any company, they will balance feedback & feasibility & strategy with their respective dept. I hope their next pro body has some jaw dropping break thru. IMHO, they shud seek their "NASA" dept to help sought out the noise & DR issue :light:

Yeah right. Jaw dropping break-through... When E-3 was introduced in Autumn 2007, it is (and still is) plague with DR issues (blown highlights), battery life don't perform as expected when use with HLD-4, banding occurred (depending on scene) at ISO above 800, AF issues in general and worst, AF does not work well (or fail) when use with 14-35 f2 and 35-100 f2. Jaw dropping indeed !!

I hope the eventual replacement will not cause my jaw to drop further.

Olympus' colour and tone is balanced and nice and E-3's ORF has quality. This is the only reasons that I'm still holding on to E-3.

In my view, Olympus's camera division should harness the technology from their medical division. This division is renowned for optical and image quality from the equipment used in medical industry.

Last edited:
The comments below refer to DSLR

Canon = Exciting
Olympus = Boring

Canon has many choices, large fans base, many info resources, many active forums, easily available anywhere.

Olympus has limited everything.

So why buy a boring brand and limit yourself?

If image quality of Canon = Olympus, but has many other advantages over Olympus in other aspects, why choose Olymp?

Simple?

Yeah right. Jaw dropping break-through... When E-3 was introduced in Autumn 2007, it is (and still is) plague with DR issues (blown highlights), battery life don't perform as expected when use with HLD-4, banding occurred (depending on scene) at ISO above 800, AF issues in general and worst, AF does not work well (or fail) when use with 14-35 f2 and 35-100 f2. Jaw dropping indeed !!

I hope the eventual replacement will not cause by jaw to drop further.

Olympus' colour and tone is balanced and nice and E-3's ORF has quality. This is the only reasons that I'm still holding on to E-3.

In my view, Olympus's camera division should harness the technology from their medical division. This division is renowned for optical and image quality from the equipment used in medical industry.

ask u guys is the epl1 so far featured the best colour and dr from the oly technology?

Canon = Exciting
Olympus = Boring

Canon has many choices, large fans base, many info resources, many active forums, easily available anywhere.

I think you have that backwards, considering Olympus has Micro FourThirds, and Panasonic's offerings...a LOT more choice than Canon.

The only way I would describe Canon as not being boring is the backwards, non-intuitive controls having to make you think, and the fact they don't even use the standard names for Aperture and Shutter priority modes.

If image quality of Canon = Olympus, but has many other advantages over Olympus in other aspects, why choose Olymp?

Simple?

Ergonomics. Even though the E-3 slipped in that regard, it's not nearly as bad as any Canon SLR.

Canon = Exciting
Olympus = Boring

Simple?
This forum is not a place for you to do brand-bashing.

I'll like to keep this forum a friendly one and I believe many others share the same sentiments. We have our opinions. We state it, discuss it and can be passionate about it. We should agree to disagree.

If you cannot agree then get lost.

By and large the IQ with respect to DR for E-P1 already out-performed E-3...

Had better pray oly better come up with a better sensor soon for their 4/3, if epl1 is better than ep2,1 which in turn better than the E-3.

Had better pray oly better come up with a better sensor soon for their 4/3, if epl1 is better than ep2,1 which in turn better than the E-3.

Oly don't make sensors, so they're stuck with Panasonic for now.

Oly don't make sensors, so they're stuck with Panasonic for now.
Sensor is one issue, image processor that processed the raw data captured and the relevant supporting electronic circuitry is as important.

The PEN models (E-P1, E-P2 and E-PL1) on the market right now should have the same performance in term of IQ. For E-PL1 it is the video capability that shine...

The PEN models (E-P1, E-P2 and E-PL1) on the market right now should have the same performance in term of IQ. For E-PL1 it is the video capability that shine...

the E-PL1 has a lighter AA filter than any other 10m< Pen or E-series camera to date. so right now it produces the most detailed 12mp output in the series.

Canon = Exciting
Olympus = Boring

Simple?

as dicam as already pointed out, brand bashing in any forum in CS is not tolerated and will only invite flared tempers. if you have a point to make, please do so in a constructive manner to support your opinion.

Canon = Exciting
Olympus = Boring

i find the masses of canon sheep (not all canon users are sheep, but i think majority of the entry level users especially just blindly followed), and their bleating (canon good! olympus boring! for example) extremely boring.

in the first place, a camera is for you to take photographs. do i feel happier just because 8000 people are using my camera and out of these 8000 people 7999 take snapshots? in fact, why should i be concerned with what other people shoot?

a photographer photographs.

a fanboy chats about equipment all day long and polishes his lenses. sometimes he goes around to try to justify his fanboy-ism.

be a photographer, not a cameraman. :thumbsup:

I am so confused why people are using canon rather than olympus. Canon does have more variety for lens and cameras. But canon is becoming a trend. People are saying my olympus e-620 is not good while having a canon 1000d is good enough. Sometimes, i feel like changing my system to canon. Any opinions on this issue?

Well from this, the usual brand name flame war erupts.

By the way, there is nothing wrong with just liking a camera, a watch, a car, a pen or any equipment just for its own sake. You admire the design, craftsmanship and its function.
It does not matter if you cannot take a photograph to save your life.

So it seems you need some assurance.
We should therefore reassure you.

Yes, you are right.
I agree with everything you say.
Please go ahead and do whatever you have more or less already decided to do.

There.....you feel better already.

All is wonderful with the world.

Canon = Exciting
Olympus = Boring

Simple?

dun crap here . i own both system and each has their pros and cons.

Status
Not open for further replies.