Nikon's: A photographer is only as good as the equipment he uses!!!

'to a certain extent'? Lol must have been a very very little extent, because 'the best photographer in the world' cannot become the worst just by selling away all his gear.

That has to be the worst thing i ever heard all day...
if he sold all his gear, he retires so would he cares if he is still the best photographer in the world?

If talking about birding, I totally agree with you. Then again, I put forth another question to you, a 600/4 lens mounted on a D3s and an iphone in hand. Something 10m from you happens and unravels. Which one will catch the moment better?

I think what you are talking about and what I am talking about are 2 completely different matter.

Actually there was a photographer in ClubSNAP, cannot remember his nick but his name is Arthur Chng, he put many 600mm and 500mm and big DSLR owners to shame, with his stunning bird photos, shot with a pns coupled with pns telephoto attachment. He used to post alot of his pictures here many years ago. There are also macro many photogs who use pns to shoot insects and yet many with a high end DSLR cannot even come close to it. :)

Last edited:
Rasdeep, probably the only time where you have "everything being equal" is in a lab experiment. It is a totally moot point.

I dunno abt you, but when I look at a photo that captures my attention, the first thought isn't "was it captured with a DSLR?"

There is already a thread on this, I have moved it to kopitiam. Let the forum here discuss technical issues rather than these type of silliness which many in kopitiam will like to participate :)

if he sold all his gear, he retires so would he cares if he is still the best photographer in the world?

I do. I still care about Ansel Adam's work even though he is dead. And many others still do, and still study his works. And at one point before he passed, he did retire and not shoot any more.

Actually there was a photographer in ClubSNAP, cannot remember his nick but his name is Arthur Chng, he put many 600mm and 500mm and big DSLR owners to shame, with his stunning bird photos, shot with a pns coupled with pns telephoto attachment. He used to post alot of his pictures here many years ago. There are also macro many photogs who use pns to shoot insects and yet many with a high end DSLR cannot even come close to it. :)
maybe he upgraded to dslr.. hehe :bsmilie:

Rasdeep, probably the only time where you have "everything being equal" is in a lab experiment. It is a totally moot point.

I dunno abt you, but when I look at a photo that captures my attention, the first thought isn't "was it captured with a DSLR?"
everything being equal is valid in this discussion because we are comparing iphone vs dslr!

well, that may not be the first thought for me but the thought of "which dslr?" certainly crossed my mind..

Yeah. Agree. The first thing tt usually comes through my mind is "Wow" then think about the shot. Who cares what it was shot with? With good lighting and the right timing, any phone with a decent camera will do a good job. N for iphone n Android phones, there are apps to enhance your photos. :)

1. what i type may not be as clear because to me it seems clear but anyway, what i meant was if there were any contest whereby an iphone pics won an award against dslr pics. the link you sent was iphone vs iphone pics so definitely an iphone won the award. i am asking about iphone vs dslr pics
2. again, nobody is saying without a good camera, the picture will not be great so re-read what i wrote. i said comparing in a situation where everything being equal, the better equipment wins. period, and dont confuse with so many ifs and buts.. just a situation where everything being equal except equipment of capture.

iphone vs iphone?? ok... lets put it straight once and for all. You need to look at the section it won... It is the FEATURE PICTURE STORY award in the NEWSPAPER DIVISION for the 68th POYI awards. which happens to be one of the most prestigious awards internationally. No restrictions whatsoever on camera used. If you clicked on first place, 2nd place or the other consolation winners, you will see that they are NOT shot with the iphone.

http://www.poyi.org/68/68winnerslist.html

NEWSPAPER DIVISION

ISSUE REPORTING PICTURE STORY

First Place, Barbara Davidson, Los Angelos Times — STRAY BULLETS

Second Place, Lisa Krantz, San Antonio Express-News — I AM SAM: A YEAR OF INNOCENCE AND ANGUISH AT SAM HOUSTON HIGH SCHOOL

Third Place, Carolyn Cole, Los Angeles Times — GULF OF GRIEF

Award of Excellence, Michael Holahan, The Augusta Chronicle — NO PLACE LIKE HOME

Award of Excellence, Peter Power, The Globe and Mail— NUNAVUT—THE TROUBLED NORTH

FEATURE PICTURE STORY

First Place, Barbara Davidson, Los Angelos Times — A FAMILY SCARRED

Second Place, Preston Gannaway, The Virginian-Pilot — CHOSEN ONES

Third Place, Damon Winter, The New York Times — A GRUNT’S LIFE

Last edited:
I do. I still care about Ansel Adam's work even though he is dead. And many others still do, and still study his works. And at one point before he passed, he did retire and not shoot any more.
and Ansel Andam is using what camera? Large-format btw and so equipment to him did matter!

everything being equal is valid in this discussion because we are comparing iphone vs dslr!

well, that may not be the first thought for me but the thought of "which dslr?" certainly crossed my mind..

I think whatever the picture was shot with would make much of a difference. I would probably be more interested in the location, as well as the lens used

maybe he upgraded to dslr.. hehe :bsmilie:

Yes he did, not because he think it will make him a better photographer. But it help him to achieved the results with lesser difficulties and challenges. The point is that the person behind the lens is equally if not more important, while the correct and good equipment certainly help.

Last edited:
and Ansel Andam is using what camera? Large-format btw and so equipment to him did matter!

and people with all the best digital technology cannot re-recreate what he is doing. Thank you for stating my point.

Be more specific.. Where does it say its iphone pic taking using histamatic app?

iphone vs iphone?? ok... lets put it straight once and for all. You need to look at the section it won... It is the FEATURE PICTURE STORY award in the NEWSPAPER DIVISION for the 68th POYI awards. which happens to be one of the most prestigious awards internationally. No restrictions whatsoever on camera used. If you clicked on first place, 2nd place or the other consolation winners, you will see that they are NOT shot with the iphone.

http://www.poyi.org/68/68winnerslist.html

But Nikon feel otherwise, only with Nikon equipment's, then you are consider Good.

and people with all the best digital technology cannot re-recreate what he is doing. Thank you for stating my point.

I would say, "having the right light" is most important.

errr.. wait, during that time, large format was top of the line gear so it still show equipment matters!

Yes he did, not because he think it will make him a better photographer. But it help him to achieved the results with lesser difficulties and challenges. The point is that the person behind the lens is equally if not more important, while the correct and good equipment certainly help.
agree that photographer is equally as important as equipment but people here do not think equipment matters which i disagree