Nikon's: A photographer is only as good as the equipment he uses!!!

cos u act like u know me, saying i am depressed? who are u to comment and personal attack me? in any case, you have great knowledge and i respect that but that does not mean you can attack people at will..

Was it a personal attack? you better re-read that post. Don't get over sensitive and emo.

Everything I said, was based on fact.

And I said" Sorry IF I made you feel depressed"...did I say you are? I am apologizing if I made you feel that way. and only if you feel that way. Did I say you are depressed? No. Is that an attack? I don't think so. Was is degratory in anyway? I don't think so. I said that because you mentioned something about getting rid of all dslr gear if those award winning pictures are indeed shot on an iphone...

I just stated the matter of the fact that great photos can come from anywhere...

If I indeed made you feel uncomfortable, I am sorry. (again... is this a personal attack?) But I really didn't say anything to attack you personally. I am sorry for you if you take it any other way.

Last edited:
Was it a personal attack? you better re-read that post. Don't get over sensitive and emo.

Everything I said, was based on fact.

And I said" Sorry IF I made you feel depressed"...did I say you are? I am apologizing if I made you feel that way. and only if you feel that way. Did I say you are depressed? No. Is that an attack? I don't think so. Was is degratory in anyway? I don't think so. I said that because you mentioned something about getting rid of all dslr gear if those award winning pictures are indeed shot on an iphone...

I just stated the matter of the fact that great photos can come from anywhere...

If I indeed made you feel uncomfortable, I am sorry. (again... is this a personal attack?) But I really didn't say anything to attack you personally. I am sorry for you if you take it any other way.
agree that great pics can come from anywhere but do not agree that at the same time, same place with a better camera cannot yield even better pics.
the award is great with the story behind, but pic wise, not impressed. but given the situation at war, any pics tell a great story behind

Last edited:
50233_6811664619_6991809_q.jpg
Nikon's:

https://www.facebook.com/nikon/posts/10150316773294620

A photographer is only as good as the equipment he uses, and a good lens is essential to taking good pictures! Do any of our facebook fans use any of the NIKKOR lenses? Which is your favorite and what types of situations do you use it for?

:thumbsd::thumbsd::thumbsd:

We are better, therefore, we do not need to use Nikon equipments.

Isn't it funny how regardless of whether it is Nikon International or Nikon Singapore, the marketing and PR is consistently bad? LOL.

Isn't it funny how regardless of whether it is Nikon International or Nikon Singapore, the marketing and PR is consistently bad? LOL.

Lets put it this way...

The current nikon line-up is still very good and usable and I have no complains about the performance of their D-SLRs. Indeed if you like great customer service and the technicians and division managers to be your "best buddies" you'd need to go to the canon camp.

For those who jump-ship from canon (eg. D3/D700 exodus), ask yourself why you did it, do you have any regrets? For those not satisfied about nikon service/pr/attitude, think about would the world be better when you not using a Nikon D-SLR?

But dun forget without good lighting all camera is useless regardless of how good the equipment and lens is...

Lets put it this way...

The current nikon line-up is still very good and usable and I have no complains about the performance of their D-SLRs. Indeed if you like great customer service and the technicians and division managers to be your "best buddies" you'd need to go to the canon camp.

For those who jump-ship from canon (eg. D3/D700 exodus), ask yourself why you did it, do you have any regrets? For those not satisfied about nikon service/pr/attitude, think about would the world be better when you not using a Nikon D-SLR?
ermm bro, mean no disrespect but are you buying a dslr because you want to take good pics or are you buying "best buddies"? granted that customer service is important but i believed a lot of people have not been to nikon CS (that is including me btw) cos there is no need to (at least for now) unless my equipment starts to crap out on me but nikon cams and lenses are great quality

ermm bro, mean no disrespect but are you buying a dslr because you want to take good pics or are you buying "best buddies"? granted that customer service is important but i believed a lot of people have not been to nikon CS (that is including me btw) cos there is no need to (at least for now) unless my equipment starts to crap out on me but nikon cams and lenses are great quality

I've been to nikon & canon service centres for similar durations in total.

When you start using a system, you may not be a heavy user and have confidence & feel that your equipment is durable. The fact that our lenses and cameras are far less durable than general opinion will change your mindset when something actually fails. Gathering from the frequency of visits of myself & my large pool of nikon/canon user friends (with varying levels of usage/abuse) there is no direct link between brand and durability. Either nikon/canon can fail at anytime, with both having more specific flaws which i will not go in-depth about this topic.

Ask some older-timers and they will tell you that PR is a huge factor in their system decision.

Another example for you...

Ansel Adams' Yosemite series.

Many photographers has tried to replicate his shots. As much as using the best gear, using software to triangulate his exact GPS location... spending months after months trying to achieve the same shots.

None has succeeded.

And what did Mr Adams use? compared to the gear of today?...

Frankly, I dun think his shots are nice. There are tonnes of ppl better than him... No matter wat, it's a fact that equipment matters. It's a fact of life tat we just hav to accept & live with it. Try shooting birds with a iPhone, no way will it fight the big guns.

it is still very much up to the photographer because he understand the ability and limitation of the available gears and make a choice to choose one that will help to achieve the result he desired.

That said. I still can't understand why Nikon is so shortsighted to, not have a UWA tilt-shift lens.

Found some very constructive comments on Nikon's wall...

but many of those comments can be better shown in this pic
WTD95_0.gif

agree that great pics can come from anywhere but do not agree that at the same time, same place with a better camera cannot yield even better pics.
the award is great with the story behind, but pic wise, not impressed. but given the situation at war, any pics tell a great story behind

I hope you re-read what I read.

1. you asked if any iphone pics won an award. I gave you the links to an example. It is as simple as that.

2. If the gear is not an "acceptable one" like a dslr, can good pictures come from it? Why not? If the same photographer use a better camera shoot the same scene, at exactly the same moment, will it turn out better? probably. But that do not mean that without a good camera, the picture will not be great,. Why do I say that? Because I feel some pictures are great not because of technicals, but they are awesome because of the moment. If that moment happens, the camera that is your hand is the BEST camera. not the one in your bag or at home. This is especially true for street or journalistic photography. It is the moment that counts.

Last edited:
Frankly, I dun think his shots are nice. There are tonnes of ppl better than him... No matter wat, it's a fact that equipment matters. It's a fact of life tat we just hav to accept & live with it. Try shooting birds with a iPhone, no way will it fight the big guns.

If talking about birding, I totally agree with you. Then again, I put forth another question to you, a 600/4 lens mounted on a D3s and an iphone in hand. Something 10m from you happens and unravels. Which one will catch the moment better?

I think what you are talking about and what I am talking about are 2 completely different matter.

The fact was the Nikon rep made a rather ill informed statement that betrayed his ignorance in photography.

However well meaning that statement, and it certainly is phrased to mean well, some people will take offense at Nikon getting a non-photographer to market this perspective to them.

It's about customer relations and nikon has made mis-step here.

Customers want to know they are understood by the company. Such a statement might be interpreted as nikon not understanding it's customers.

rasdeep said:
To a certain extend, what that guy said is true. Arrogant? Maybe, but is there a picture taken from iPhone that won an award?

'to a certain extent'? Lol must have been a very very little extent, because 'the best photographer in the world' cannot become the worst just by selling away all his gear.

That has to be the worst thing i ever heard all day...

I hope you re-read what I read.

1. you asked if any iphone pics won an award. I gave you the links to an example. It is as simple as that.

2. If the gear is not an "acceptable one" like a dslr, can good pictures come from it? Why not? If the same photographer use a better camera shoot the same scene, at exactly the same moment, will it turn out better? probably. But that do not mean that without a good camera, the picture will not be great,. Why do I say that? Because I feel some pictures are great not because of technicals, but they are awesome because of the moment. If that moment happens, the camera that is your hand is the BEST camera. not the one in your bag or at home. This is especially true for street or journalistic photography. It is the moment that counts.
1. what i type may not be as clear because to me it seems clear but anyway, what i meant was if there were any contest whereby an iphone pics won an award against dslr pics. the link you sent was iphone vs iphone pics so definitely an iphone won the award. i am asking about iphone vs dslr pics
2. again, nobody is saying without a good camera, the picture will not be great so re-read what i wrote. i said comparing in a situation where everything being equal, the better equipment wins. period, and dont confuse with so many ifs and buts.. just a situation where everything being equal except equipment of capture.

I think they achieved their marketing strategy - getting your attention.