K-01 Unboxing ...

fengwei said:
I don't see an option to change color, so I guess it's the same as Ricoh GXR one, which some considered as even better than the NEX FP :)

Hontoni?

fengwei said:
Since I've already played the camera before, I'm more interested in how the new lens perform on a film camera. It doesn't look bad when mounted on the most beautiful Pentax film camera:

It can work on film cam? Oh man ... silver mz-s! I have been hunting for one. Can i rob u?

wedgehammer said:
wow that is one beautiful camera!! why not pentax just use that design instead of wasting money on that marc designer

The marc newson design is very nice. I think its worthwhile to invest in good product design.

I don't see an option to change color, so I guess it's the same as Ricoh GXR one, which some considered as even better than the NEX FP :)

The focus peaking in the GXR is only excellent because of the buttons layout and the mode that changes everything to grey leaving only the white outlines.

The marc newson design is very nice. I think its worthwhile to invest in good product design.

well, you know how it is with design, very subjective... i agree it is worthwhile to invest in great design, but sometimes people and companies make the wrong investment hehe... with regards to the k-01, i admit it is a unique-looking design but even in the press and forums there seems to be a lot of negative reaction to the design... i guess this is a classic example of a love or hate thing

oops sorry for the ot!

The focus peaking in the GXR is only excellent because of the buttons layout and the mode that changes everything to grey leaving only the white outlines.
Yeah, that's what I thought otherwise in color mode the white peaking color is hard to see. Not really needed with the NEX, you can choose between 3 colors.

well, you know how it is with design, very subjective... i agree it is worthwhile to invest in great design, but sometimes people and companies make the wrong investment hehe... with regards to the k-01, i admit it is a unique-looking design but even in the press and forums there seems to be a lot of negative reaction to the design... i guess this is a classic example of a love or hate thing

oops sorry for the ot!

u say its "subjective" but u seem to be only interested on the negative reactions... i've seen both positive and negative reactions though.

if u dun like it, just dun buy it. i dun see why u have to bring your negativity into this happy discussion.

It can work on film cam? Oh man ... silver mz-s! I have been hunting for one. Can i rob u?

Finished one roll of film in 60min today, now I need to find a place developing the film ... My usual place (Gombak Station) is too far, and the service is too lousy nowadays :(

Yeah, it's a silver MZ-S, a very pretty camera indeed :)

u say its "subjective" but u seem to be only interested on the negative reactions... i've seen both positive and negative reactions though.

if u dun like it, just dun buy it. i dun see why u have to bring your negativity into this happy discussion.

wow why so defensive?? youre the one turning it into an ugly discussion, i just commented that the older cam is nicer looking! like that cannot comment on the cameras look now, can only post positive comments. i wonder why that is

Why did Pentax approach industrial designer / firm Marc Newson to design this camera? Any reason for not having it done in-house themselves?

Why did Pentax approach industrial designer / firm Marc Newson to design this camera? Any reason for not having it done in-house themselves?

Gimmick. Nothing more, nothing less.

Take it easy, guys. No point discussing why the camera was designed and fabricated like this 'cause it's already released and sold in shops :)

It's a very fine camera, doesn't look bad at all if you look at the actual thing. It feels very solid in hand, much solid than any m4/3 camera out there.

relax bro, got negative then got improvement unlike others no improvement or whatever rip off hahaha

Take it easy, guys. No point discussing why the camera was designed and fabricated like this 'cause it's already released and sold in shops :)

It's a very fine camera, doesn't look bad at all if you look at the actual thing. It feels very solid in hand, much solid than any m4/3 camera out there.

It is made of aluminium but don't know how tough aluminium actually hits if compare to mag alloy? Can zhi dian zhi dian abit? Does it feels much better than polycarbonated plastic? I wanna know if there is anything that can do to dye the rubber grip hahahaha unless the colour goes off

I don't know, much like how Canon gets Avril Lavinge to endorse their products or why Leica chooses to display Wu Bai's pictures in their Singapore store for a period of time I guess, reasons will only be known to the company.

Let's refrain from creating an atmosphere of vigilantes telling what's right and what's wrong. We should allow for views from all ends. Creating an ambience like this only seeks to bring us further apart. We are each entitled to our own views. It would be sad if I were not allowed to air my own opinion in the fear of someone lashing at me.

Please.

I don't know, much like how Canon gets Avril Lavinge to endorse their products or why Leica chooses to display Wu Bai's pictures in their Singapore store for a period of time I guess, reasons will only be known to the company.

If I own a camera company ... I'll get you to pose nude for my campaigns! :D

Got your K-01 already?

Gimmick. Nothing more, nothing less.

He may well be worth the "designer fees" ;)
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/VzE338AgAYl/Marc+Newson+Pentax+Unveiling+K+01+Champagne

Fashion blogger Garance Doré seen using K-01 too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9QNPk4sFwRs

Anyway, agree with FW.
Just be happy over what the new MILC brings.
I know that the folks who've just got it have a very good deal.
K5 sensor, focus peaking, latest camera, full K-mount compatibility and lenses for a price of $690-700.

Wait for the next camera if the current one is somehow not agreeable.
Take it as save money :D

Last edited:

I didn't know Wu Bai is brand ambassador for Leica.
Kinda mismatch.... he's macham Ah Beng Ah Seng and Leica is class class. :D

JK - you are ever so diplomatic :)