[ closed ] Olympus Announces its latest Micro4/3 camera and lenses - OM-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nicely said bro.

HAHA, some people might not know because your nickname is Oly... ;p

Thanks. Yah lar...it is the first camera I bought so I just used that for my nick. Was not as forum savvy then to realize the implications.

Anyway, I recommend dpreview. It has got quite a nice 6 page preview there.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusEM5/

Last edited:
Ok found a few things that I do not like -

1. USB 2 only?
2. New battery format.
3. Is there an AF assist lamp on the body .... oh dear if there is none. I see a lamp on the left front top of the camera...I dearly hope it is the AF assist lamp!

Found another thing I like -

1. Customizable function buttons on the camera body AND the 12-50 lens!

Please dont remind us of the battery... :cry: Have to buy extra battery again... haiz...

You guys knows what they said about silver PENS right? Plastic look and etc... But with EM5, it kinda look classy with Silver metallic body.

43 Rumors | Home has some links to images (not full sized) on the various ISO modes.

dont rely too much on these early out-of-camera images ......... the one that I had was only for touch and feel with a ver0.8 firmware and NOT on the final firmware

the actual review sets (in a couple of weeks) should come fully loaded with the proper firmware and image processing engine

Last edited:
dont rely too much on these early out-of-camera images ......... the one that I had was only for touch and feel with a ver0.8 firmware and NOT on the final firmware

the actual review sets (in a couple of weeks) should come fully loaded with the proper firmware and image processing engine

But these sample images are by Oly themselves... I'd be surprised if they weren't pretty good quality already. Maybe not OOC, actually. Don't know, can't read jap.

the only thing i dun like about this cam is the tilting LCD screen...

ha ha ha wait till you are much older with a bad back .... i would just use it at the default resting position if i were not comfortable with a flip-out LCD screen

The images are of pre-production units as was the one in our hands on Friday last week ..... there could be a couple more minor design tweaks before it hit the shelves

My feedback to Olympus was that the UP-DOWN-LEFT-RIGHT buttons are INWARD SLOPING and not easy to press ..... suggested to them to go back to regular flat buttons

See image below ..... very pek chek trying to activate/navigate with these UP-DOWN-LEFT-RIGHT buttons especially if you have fat fingers

photo_16.JPG

HLD-6G_6P_best_back_s1.jpg

Last edited:
No la, I'm just wondering what the hype is about, because the basic concept isn't even new (or fresh). Admittedly the camera looks good, and there are some cool functions and features thrown in that may be useful.

Anyways, thanks for all your clarifications.

What I was alluding to is the fact that m4/3 has the most attractive lens lineup in the current mirrorless market (except Pentax's K-01, which is not in this league). And this being Oly's first m4/3 camera with built-in EVF, weather seals and a jump from the eternal 12mp sensor, current m4/3 users (especially Oly's) are naturally hyped-up about it.

You guys knows what they said about silver PENS right? Plastic look and etc... But with EM5, it kinda look classy with Silver metallic body.

Actually, after looking at both the silver and the black on youtube videos, I am starting to wonder if silver is the colour to get. At first, I was dead fixed on silver because many of the m4/3 lenses are silver. But after looking at the videos, I am starting to think that the black E-M5 looks better. What do you guys think?

Please dont remind us of the battery... :cry: Have to buy extra battery again... haiz...

Battery is a minor distraction .. focus on the camera please .. haha

yup. cos i find tilting screen quite filmsy and extra thing to spoilt for a cam :x

Which camera you have used where the tilting screen spoilt? Nikon or Canon. I have the EPL3, E620, E3 and the E5, never had a problem with the tilting screens. :) If you dun like the screen, then pretend that it is not tiltable and keep it stowed all the time. One reason why I got the EPL3 after getting the EP3, was because of the tilting screen. The other reason was the smaller size and lighter weight.

Actually, after looking at both the silver and the black on youtube videos, I am starting to wonder if silver is the colour to get. At first, I was dead fixed on silver because many of the m4/3 lenses are silver. But after looking at the videos, I am starting to think that the black E-M5 looks better. What do you guys think?

Silver lens on black makes it look a bit off balanced i feel. Black lens on silver body might not be that bad.

But that said, the silver body with the black grip+power pack looks way weird IMO.

one thing I thank Olympus engineers for ...... the 2 piece handgrip and the little thumb grip on the back ..... it makes one-handed shooting a total breeze ..... camera felt so stable

and I actually prefer it with the bottom half removed with just the L handgrip section attached

with the full hand grip attached ...... the entire outfit (especially the Black body) looks seriously handsome and like a D3x

touch and feel overall is S-O-L-I-D

HLD-6G_6P_best_lens-b_b1.jpg

HLD-6G_6P.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.