[ closed ] Olympus Announces its latest Micro4/3 camera and lenses - OM-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
u can always use third party lenses with adaptors. :)

We saw it in the interview... Can't get UWA that is fast without compromising on size. And that seems to be something Oly (rightfully, in my opinion) doesn't want to compromise on..

u can always use third party lenses with adaptors. :)

Do enlighten me on how I can achieve 24-70mm f/2.8 equivalent on m4/3 today? Anyhow, I am very excited that Panasonic is working on 2 out of the 3 "trinity" zoom lenses. Let's hope they perform as well (I am sure they have the potential to) as the APSC and FF equivalents. I wonder if there will be any issue fitting the OIS-equipped lenses on the Olympus body. The in-body sensor-shift IS should probably still work, so I guess I can simply switch off OIS on the lens? And I also hope that Olympus fixes the clicky noise that happens when you mount certain Panny lenses on an Oly body.

I should slightly correct my earlier analogy. The f/2.8 zooms are the grippy street/sport tyres for the Ferrari that is the EM-5. The primes are like race slicks - pricey and highly specialized. :)

Do enlighten me on how I can achieve 24-70mm f/2.8 equivalent on m4/3 today? Anyhow, I am very excited that Panasonic is working on 2 out of the 3 "trinity" zoom lenses. Let's hope they perform as well (I am sure they have the potential to) as the APSC and FF equivalents. I wonder if there will be any issue fitting the OIS-equipped lenses on the Olympus body. The in-body sensor-shift IS should probably still work, so I guess I can simply switch off OIS on the lens? And I also hope that Olympus fixes the clicky noise that happens when you mount certain Panny lenses on an Oly body.

I should slightly correct my earlier analogy. The f/2.8 zooms are the grippy street/sport tyres for the Ferrari that is the EM-5. The primes are like race slicks - pricey and highly specialized. :)

Nice analogy. Which types of tyres do you think Ferrari makes more money from? :p

sorry not a zoom user so I cannot advise you. but f2.8 isn't that wide and fast yet, you should take a look at prime lens which allows you to shoot at f1.4 or even f1.2!

anyway I might be wrong but I think you cannot make f2.8 zoom lenses with micro 3/4 due to the sheer size. so you can only find primes lenses which simpler to build. reason being, for a 24-70 equivalent, you will need a smaller then 24-70 (due to crop factor) and you need bigger glass to make f2.8 lenses (which explains why usually f2.8 needs bigger filter threads).

Last edited:
We saw it in the interview... Can't get UWA that is fast without compromising on size. And that seems to be something Oly (rightfully, in my opinion) doesn't want to compromise on..

Just want to add also, for landscapers like myself who use UWA, fast or not... large or not, doesnt really matters because we usually take landscape shots with f8 or higher...

Just want to add also, for landscapers like myself who use UWA, fast or not... large or not, doesnt really matters because we usually take landscape shots with f8 or higher...

It does matter if you use an optical viewfinder though. Lenses with larger maximum aperture do let in more light into OVFs.

As for translation to EVF, suspect you would have to boost this a lot more which may lead to a rather undesirable image within the EVF, if say, you have a UWA with maximum aperture F/8.. So there has to be a balance taking this point into consideration as well.

The 12mm f/2 (24mm in 35mm-equivalent) is wide but not ultra-wide. The latter refers to really wide (and really expensive) primes like the Canon 14mm f/2.8L and Nikkor AF 14mm f/2.8 ED.

I am sure many landscape shooters are still waiting for the m4/3 equivalent to the venerable Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G. The Panasonic 7-14mm f/4 is sharp, but not quite fast enough. If Tokina can make the very fine 11-16mm f/2.8 and sell it for under $1000, I can't understand why Panasonic and Olympus cannot do so. Maybe Panasonic will make a new X series UWA lens after it releases the 12-35 f/2.8X and 35-100 f/2.8X, to complete the "X trinity"?

Until the f/2.8 zooms hit the market, the EM-5 is a superb body without enough good lenses to match it. It is like having a Ferrari without grippy tyres to put the horsepower to the ground

For this group of people, the Panasonic should suffice.

Body+12-50 lens @ Amazon is 1299USD.

Body alone 999USD. Not too shabby considering it includes a built in VF and the small flash unit.

That is a damn good price and value!!!! I guess, I can forget about the Fuji XPro1 and the X100 for now. Maybe even for the D800...:)

Oh I hear the shutter life is 100,000 actuations. How is that?

Actually, what is the difference between this and the Samsung NX10/11, other than the weather sealing and IS? Just curious, because I don't see any difference...?

Oh I hear the shutter life is 100,000 actuations. How is that?

its the same with the e30 and probably the e-x models, not sure of the Pens though. It just means the camera will outlast us (or our will to shoot continuously) if we are not burst shooters, the most I've shot on a camera is around 30k and I owned that camera for almost 2 years xD. The first 15k must have been on the first 6 months while learning and being excited about the gear then frequency just dropped gradually after that.. then came m4/3s and my photo shooting has taken a bit more consistent curve.

Actually, what is the difference between this and the Samsung NX10/11, other than the weather sealing and IS? Just curious, because I don't see any difference...?

A whole range of m4/3 lenses that would not work with NX10/11. ;)

I believe Olympus will organize a preview for E club members right?

Interesting camera.

I think Samsung has got a bigger sensor - APS sized.

First and foremost, I like the form factor and look of the OM-D. I also like the ability to modularize the camera from a small compact OM type size, to a near DSLR size with full grip and battery, or an intermediate size with just the grip alone.

The second thing I like is the weather proofing. It is a major thing and its one of the bad things of having the PENS now in that there is no weather proof. Weather proof for what, you say? Well....how about shooting IN a foam party versus shooting outside of it, just to name an example. And please note, even the flash is weatherproof!!!

Third is innovation. 5 axis IS, just shows how thoughtful the engineers are in Olympus. I would have thought 2 axis is good enough. Dun even realize that there are other axes to think about. They are trying to go for perfection, these Japanese people.

Fourth - World's fastest AF. Faster or as fast as the pro DSLRS in Canon and Nikon (as of Nov 2010). Won't you want to have a camera that is so small but can AF just as fast?

Fifth - Image quality and colours - Olympus has always been focused on producing sharp images with nice colours. In order to achieve this, there has to be synergism between the sensor, camera, and the lens. Big sensor, crap lens - bad photo - quite common in many of the other brands where the lens quality cannot even match the sensor resolution. If you actually shoot with Leica lenses, you will understand what Olympus is trying to copy.

Sixth - 9.5 fps. That is a significant improvement from 5 fps. Never felt the need for this since I do predictive single shots. But it would be nice for me, and I think for others, may be a big draw. Sony has the fastest now, if I am not wrong, at 10 fps.

Note : I also own Fuji cameras, panny lenses, and am also considering the Nikon D800. So do not think that I am an Oly fan. I just buy whatever that suits my needs or fancy, AND budget (very important) out there, irrespective of brand.

Last edited:
A whole range of m4/3 lenses that would not work with NX10/11. ;)
No la, I'm just wondering what the hype is about, because the basic concept isn't even new (or fresh). Admittedly the camera looks good, and there are some cool functions and features thrown in that may be useful.

Anyways, thanks for all your clarifications.

"The company has also totally reworked its built-in image stabilization system. The new design is described as 5-axis (translational movement vertically and horizontally, and rotational movement around 3 axes - shown below), in contrast to the previous system that only corrected for up/down and left/right rotation. If it works, the ability to correct for rotation around the lens axis caused by pressing the shutter button offers a clear advantage over in-lens stabilization systems. Meanwhile, correction for translational movements promises more effective stabilization for macro photography at high magnifications (like Canon's 'Hybrid IS'). The system continues to work in video. Although none of these systems is inherently original, this is the first camera we've seen to incorporate them all at once, so we'll be interested to see how well the system works."

From dpreview....

I think Samsung has got a bigger sensor - APS sized.

First and foremost, I like the form factor and look of the OM-D. I also like the ability to modularize the camera from a small compact OM type size, to a near DSLR size with full grip and battery, or an intermediate size with just the grip alone. The second thing I like is the weather proofing. It is a major thing and its one of the bad things of having the PENS now in that there is no weather proof. Weather proof for what, you say? Well....how about shooting IN a foam party versus shooting outside of it, just to name an example.

Second is innovation. 5 axis IS, just shows how thoughtful the engineers are in Olympus. I would have thought 2 axis is good enough. Dun even realize that there are other axes to think about. They are trying to go for perfection, these Japanese people.

Third - World's fastest AF. Faster or as fast as the pro DSLRS in Canon and Nikon (as of Nov 2010). Won't you want to have a camera that is so small but can AF just as fast?

Fourth - Image quality and colours - Olympus has always been focused on producing sharp images with nice colours. In order to achieve this, there has to be synergism between the sensor, camera, and the lens. Big sensor, crap lens - bad photo - quite common in many of the other brands where the lens quality cannot even match the sensor resolution. If you actually shoot with Leica lenses, you will understand what Olympus is trying to copy.

Fifth - 9.5 fps. That is a significant improvement from 5 fps. Never felt the need for this since I do predictive single shots. But it would be nice for me, and I think for others, may be a big draw. Sony has the fastest now, if I am not wrong, at 10 fps.

Note : I also own Fuji cameras, panny lenses, and am also considering the Nikon D800. So do not think that I am an Oly fan. I just buy whatever that suits my needs or fancy, AND budget (very important) out there, irrespective of brand.

Nicely said bro.

HAHA, some people might not know because your nickname is Oly... ;p

Ok found a few things that I do not like -

1. USB 2 only?
2. New battery format.
3. Is there an AF assist lamp on the body .... oh dear if there is none. I see a lamp on the left front top of the camera...I dearly hope it is the AF assist lamp!

Found another thing I like -

1. Customizable function buttons on the camera body AND the 12-50 lens!
2. The size! It is actually smaller than the EP3. I find the EP3 a little big. This is very welcoming. My concern with the Fuji X-Pro1 is the size actually. I love the size of the Fuji X10. I think that size is just nice. The EPL3 size is also very nice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.