Where to shoot birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm toking about the trees in front of the coffee shops. The last time I went there, got at least 50 of them Parakets and a dozen cockatoos.

Wat a gang!! Then my fav nesting pair kana raided by gangsters liao or maybe da babies grow up loh. :)

no pain no gain man. =)

Hi guys. I would like to know where I can shoot birds in Singapore. My friend and I would really want to know a few places around Singapore other than the Bird Park, Punggol and Sungei Buloh Wetland/Nature Reserves. Anywhere is fine. But hopefully there is a place to sit down and rest, and if there is a shelter it's even better. But even if there is no seats or shelter it's fine too. Thanks beforehand :)
Hi,

Firstly, applaud you for your interest in shooting wild birds (meaning the free flying ones outside of JBP/zoo). Wild birds can be found in most parks and gardens in Singapore, and places like the nature reserves and near the sea (coastal areas). For wild bird photography, equipment do play a part but equally important is the willingness to learn and passion to explore. Wild bird photography is challenging, and let me forewarn you that it can involve long hours of walking and trekking under the blazing sun without seeing or even shooting anything. But it can be rewarding too.

Equipment wise: generally recommend to have a DSLR (any kind) and a lens with focal length of 300mm or more...you can never have enough focal length for birds. Along with good stable tripod. Dress lightly in muted colours, and bring a hat if u have. Bring lots of water and if possible a pair of small binos for bird spotting.

I'm assuming you guys don't drive...but don't worry, there's still many places in sg that can be explored on foot.

Other than those u mentioned, some of the popular spots for bird photography are:

• Bukit Batok Nature Park (hilly terrain, look for the resident White-crested Laughing thrushes, they are quite tame and easy to shoot)
  • Chinese Garden/Japanese Gardens (lots of kingfishers, bulbuls, and look out for raptors like White-bellied sea eagle flying over the lake)
  • Changi Boardwalk (overflying raptors, white collared kingfisher, asian glossy starlings, dollarbird frolicking among the bamboo poles next to boardwalk - if lucky can occasionally spot terns flying nearby)
  • Central Catchment Areas (i.e MacRitchie, Seletar, Peirce reservoirs), challenging terrain and walking though...best explored during the dry season. Many forest birds abound but takes skill to spot let alone shoot
  • Bukit Timah Nature Park (challenging coz of hilly terrain, but also good place to spot birds)
  • Punggol Park (wide open space with a big lake, woodpeckers, cuckoos, kingfishers, bitterns, sunbirds etc.)
  • Pulau Ubin (plenty of birds but be prepared for a lot of walking..highlights is the Oriental Pied Hornbill)
  • Mandai Orchid Garden (near zoo along Mandai Lake Rd, sunbirds, spiderhunters, bulbuls, magpie robin)

Last but not least, have fun! ;)

Hi,

Firstly, applaud you for your interest in shooting wild birds (meaning the free flying ones outside of JBP/zoo). Wild birds can be found in most parks and gardens in Singapore, and places like the nature reserves and near the sea (coastal areas). For wild bird photography, equipment do play a part but equally important is the willingness to learn and passion to explore. Wild bird photography is challenging, and let me forewarn you that it can involve long hours of walking and trekking under the blazing sun without seeing or even shooting anything. But it can be rewarding too.

Equipment wise: generally recommend to have a DSLR (any kind) and a lens with focal length of 300mm or more...you can never have enough focal length for birds. Along with good stable tripod. Dress lightly in muted colours, and bring a hat if u have. Bring lots of water and if possible a pair of small binos for bird spotting.

I'm assuming you guys don't drive...but don't worry, there's still many places in sg that can be explored on foot.

Other than those u mentioned, some of the popular spots for bird photography are:

• Bukit Batok Nature Park (hilly terrain, look for the resident White-crested Laughing thrushes, they are quite tame and easy to shoot)
  • Chinese Garden/Japanese Gardens (lots of kingfishers, bulbuls, and look out for raptors like White-bellied sea eagle flying over the lake)
  • Changi Boardwalk (overflying raptors, white collared kingfisher, asian glossy starlings, dollarbird frolicking among the bamboo poles next to boardwalk - if lucky can occasionally spot terns flying nearby)
  • Central Catchment Areas (i.e MacRitchie, Seletar, Peirce reservoirs), challenging terrain and walking though...best explored during the dry season. Many forest birds abound but takes skill to spot let alone shoot
  • Bukit Timah Nature Park (challenging coz of hilly terrain, but also good place to spot birds)
  • Punggol Park (wide open space with a big lake, woodpeckers, cuckoos, kingfishers, bitterns, sunbirds etc.)
  • Pulau Ubin (plenty of birds but be prepared for a lot of walking..highlights is the Oriental Pied Hornbill)
  • Mandai Orchid Garden (near zoo along Mandai Lake Rd, sunbirds, spiderhunters, bulbuls, magpie robin)

Last but not least, have fun! ;)

Very informative post from a birding guru..:thumbsup:

hmmmm I thought can go to SAF Range.... everyday a lot of fella there shoot Bird.... :bsmilie:.... sorry just joking.... Sungei Buloh a good place, but bring long tele lens...and I mean... long tele lens.... :devil:.

Rememeber that time go with a 18-200mm.... :rolleyes:...... saw the Bird gang there taking out their equip, I pack up and go home..... :sweat::sweatsm:

hmmmm I thought can go to SAF Range.... everyday a lot of fella there shoot Bird........ sorry just joking.... Sungei Buloh a good place, but bring long tele lens...and I mean... long tele lens....

Rememeber that time go with a 18-200mm......... saw the Bird gang there taking out their equip, I pack up and go home.....

No woriez. Tis great lens to bring much closer n great with TCs. :thumbsup:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=332697

hmmmm I thought can go to SAF Range.... everyday a lot of fella there shoot Bird.... :bsmilie:.... sorry just joking.... Sungei Buloh a good place, but bring long tele lens...and I mean... long tele lens.... :devil:.

Rememeber that time go with a 18-200mm.... :rolleyes:...... saw the Bird gang there taking out their equip, I pack up and go home..... :sweat:
Long tele lens doesn';t necessarily mean stunning bird pics. Its the photographer "eye" thats more impt.

18-200mm can take nice pics of the waders and the surroundings also mar. Shots that show the birds in its natural environment. Or flight shots of a group of birds as they take off ...using slow shutter to convey the effect of motion. Anything is possible, the only limitation is your mind. :)

Long tele lens doesn';t necessarily mean stunning bird pics. Its the photographer "eye" thats more impt.

18-200mm can take nice pics of the waders and the surroundings also mar. Shots that show the birds in its natural environment. Or flight shots of a group of birds as they take off ...using slow shutter to convey the effect of motion. Anything is possible, the only limitation is your mind. :)

Yeah! If u r lucky enough..35mm can shoot good birds too. -> Here

lol how lucky of catching the bird there. i will bring it home and shoot with kit lens.

Any Cgulls in Sg?

lol how lucky of catching the bird there. i will bring it home and shoot with kit lens.

Any Cgulls in Sg?

Dun think so... you may catch some terns if you're lucky though.

Btw... I'm curious on the species of that poor bird. Is is an Eursaian Kestrel?
Looks more like a Peregrine Falcon to me.

I shot one before opposite my home:

peregrine_002.jpg

Thanks... I see

Looks like another rare visitor to SG also...

Status
Not open for further replies.