WHATS NEXT FOR M43, after Olympus, what future is left?

This video is very apt on the title of this thread, and it takes a very neutral perspective?
"What is the Future of Micro Four Thirds?"

The camera sales ratings from Japan, Sony no longer no:1. Canon clawing back up but may do the cripple hammer again when they have the upper hand. At 8:29 Olympus with 14% market share and Nikon no where in sight.

Market share may matter if one is going to predict what will happen to a particular format or brand of camera,
which is the title of this thread "What's next for m43 after Olympus and what future is left?"

Almost 3 years, OMDS has took over Olympus Camera Division and now still have a market share of 14% for 1 week or 1 month is still pretty decent.

More importantly, let me share you some of my experience. Years back when Canon is No.1 and Sony is nowhere in sight with any market share,
I got a Canon 5Dmk2 with a L-Lenses, using it both for work and leisure. My brother and me went to Japan and we were walking around for 8 hours.
What surprised us is the fatigue of carrying the same camera which we used for 1 to 2 hours shoot for our paid assignments.

After the trip, I got a Canon 70D for myself, and slowly my brother explored lighter formats of Sony and Fujifilm APS as they become available.
I myself subsequently moved to M43 Panasonic before settling down on Olympus EM5 Mk 3. Don't look only at the weight of the camera. Also need to look at the weight of the lenses you need to bring. eg. If I have to bring along telephoto lenses, eg. 70-200 (which is huge on a Full Frame), I will definitely use my M43 system if there is quite a bit of walking.

I slowly realized that no matter how good the features or brand of the camera or market share, what is more important is the camera must be suitable for me.
This is the reason why Large Format Cameras died. No one wants to carry them around.

Smaller and Lighter formats do have a place and I really hope formats like M43 are here to stay.
Otherwise, we will end up with having to choose between FF/APS or Mobile phones, and the choice is obvious.
The general public has already made their choice.

The camera sales ratings from Japan, Sony no longer no:1. Canon clawing back up but may do the cripple hammer again when they have the upper hand. At 8:29 Olympus with 14% market share and Nikon no where in sight.

Last edited:
This is the record of BCN Awards for a few years.

BCN AWARD 2018
Rank 1 Olympus (27.7% share)
Rank 2 Canon (21.3% share)
Rank 3 Sony (20.2% share)

BCN AWARD 2019
Rank 1 Canon (31.6% share)
Rank 2 Olympus (23.5% share)
Rank 3 Sony (22.7% share)

BCN AWARD 2020
Rank 1 Canon (30.9% share)
Rank 2 Sony (25.9% share)
Rank 3 Olympus (23.4% share)

BCN AWARD 2021
Rank 1 Sony (27.4% share)
Rank 2 Canon (23.8% share)

BCN AWARD 2022
Rank 1 Sony (32% share)
Rank 2 Canon (28.2% share)
Rank 3 OM Digital Solutions (12.7% share)

BCN AWARD 2023
Rank 1 Canon (31.7% share)
Rank 2 Sony (29.4% share)
Rank 3 OM Digital Solutions (14.3% share)

The Olympus Camera Division business lost hundreds of millions of US dollars and cannot turn a profit for 3 years prior to being sold.
In June 2020, Olympus announced the end of the Olympus Camera Division.

What does this mean?
It means as far as business survival is concerned, the BCN "AWARD" & % market share (in Japan) are useless.

Better to read this book.
Credit: amazon.com

518MvUkWsmL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Business Survival also depends on Consumer preference. When majority of the consumers chose to use their mobile phones, it has killed off many other cameras, eg. Ricoh (not sure if it has anything to do with @ricohflex LOL), Yashica, Minolta, Konica, Samsung and many more .......

In comparison, Olympus did pretty well to have survived and sold to JIP.
Brands like RIcoh and Yashica and Minox etc did not even managed to find a buyer.

Even Nikon have been restructuring after restructuring. Even brands like Pentax and Hasselbrad is hardly developing anything. At least OMDS have been releasing new lenses and camera bodies.

By repeatedly pointing fingers at Olympus only shows that you are ignorant of what is happening in the market or bias against Olympus or both! LOL

This is the record of BCN Awards for a few years.

BCN AWARD 2018
Rank 1 Olympus (27.7% share)
Rank 2 Canon (21.3% share)
Rank 3 Sony (20.2% share)

BCN AWARD 2019
Rank 1 Canon (31.6% share)
Rank 2 Olympus (23.5% share)
Rank 3 Sony (22.7% share)

BCN AWARD 2020
Rank 1 Canon (30.9% share)
Rank 2 Sony (25.9% share)

BCN AWARD 2021
Rank 1 Sony (27.4% share)
Rank 2 Canon (23.8% share)

BCN AWARD 2022
Rank 1 Sony (32% share)
Rank 2 Canon (28.2% share)
Rank 3 OM Digital Solutions (12.7% share)

BCN AWARD 2023
Rank 1 Canon (31.7% share)
Rank 2 Sony (29.4% share)
Rank 3 OM Digital Solutions (14.3% share)

The Olympus Camera Division business lost hundreds of millions of US dollars and cannot turn a profit for 3 years prior to being sold.
In June 2020, Olympus announced the end of the Olympus Camera Division.

What does this mean?
It means as far as business survival is concerned, the BCN "AWARD" & % market share (in Japan) are useless.

Better to read this book.
Credit: amazon.com

518MvUkWsmL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Don't trust too much what you read on Internet about "surveys", especially internal surveys. + "awards".
Much of it is rubbish. Instead watch what happens to the company - does it close shop and sell away the business.
Watch what they do - not what they say. That is - does M43 have a future?

Did you read about the Singaporean lady who got badly bitten by bed bugs in LiT Hotel in Bangkok?
Well, if you search the Internet hotel websites, all you get are rave reviews and glowing praise left by posters who claim to have stayed there.
That's right - it seems the reviews are mostly FAKE. Or "paid for".

This type of Blatant Lies happens in the Hotel business and of course also in the Camera business.

@ricohflex, you need to change your mindset. It does not mean that bigger companies are safer.

I have a friend who bought Canon EOS-M series and lamenting that Canon more or less abandon the series as it did not release any lenses for the EOS-M series except the miserable 1 or 2 lenses that it first launched. I have another friend who bought the initial Sony Alpha series with the A-mount, but Sony abandon it too and move on to its E-mount. And same for Nikon V-series is also being abandon by Nikon.

At the end of the day, all the M43 users are still happily using our system, despite the change or ownership to JIP, we still have regular firmware updates and new lenses and bodies. I am really thankful OMDS actually provides firmware updates for all my Olympus and Panasonic Lenses I bought several years ago when I got my OM-1.

Don't trust too much what you read on Internet about "surveys", especially internal surveys. + "awards".
Much of it is rubbish. Instead watch what happens to the company - does it close shop and sell away the business.
Watch what they do - not what they say. That is - does M43 have a future?

Did you read about the Singaporean lady who got badly bitten by bed bugs in LiT Hotel in Bangkok?
Well, if you search the Internet hotel websites, all you get are rave reviews and glowing praise left by posters who claim to have stayed there.
That's right - it seems the reviews are mostly FAKE. Or "paid for".

This type of Blatant Lies happens in the Hotel business and of course also in the Camera business.

Best of all, we have adapters (mmf) that make all the lenses of the past usable on the current bodies.

Olympus, under OMDS / JIP keep having new developments.
Anyone tried astro photography knows how tough it is to get the right effects without a astro tracker.
Just like Pro Capture for capturing birds in motions and Live Composite mode for capturing light trails,
it seems that OMDS is developing another Computational feature. :)

M43 Rocks!

It takes 5 to 10 years to build a brand. To get brand recognition by the buying public.
That was why OMDS first camera OM-1 after 2020 is branded "Olympus".
OMDS was afraid of the massive rejection of an unknown brand.

Do they really expect new buyers to buy a strange camera labeled " OM System " on the camera body ?
What kind of a lousy, lifeless, schmuck brand name is that, anyway? That name was created by an office politician and not by a marketing genius.
Now that they tried to pull that stunt on the buying public, the OM System OM-5 ended in failure. With widespread criticism.

Imagine some one trying to sell a soft drink named "Coca System".
Or a phone named "Apple System".
All will end up in the dustbin.

Last edited:
Yeah.... OM-5 is just a rebranding and minor upgrade.

I wouldn't spent time watching this Camera Conspiracy channel , he is not teaching anything useful in photography but making corny jokes which are not even funny. I don't know, maybe he tickle and entertain @ricohflex a lot since he seems to be quoting him several times.

Releasing a minor release with a few small improvements is normal. Look at Sony A7 R4 and A7 R5. Exactly the same sensor. With AI but costs a lot more? Come on, the A7 R4 is pretty smart in subject identification already, the AI is obviously a branding exercise to be in line with the latest buzz word. And look at Sony R100 from Mk1 to 7. Was there major improvements between all the 7 models?

OM-5 is probably targeted to less serious hobbyists or those who want a even smaller camera body as not eveyone wants to commit to the OM-1 straight away. No need to over think and speculate. OMDS is slowly phasing out the Olympus brand on their products and as the stocks are being sold away, it is slowly replaced with the OM Systems brand. Surely you don't expect OMDS to continue manufacturing the Olympus EM5 Mk3 once the stock is depleted.

Don't think JIP the owners of OMDS are fools. As investors, their eyes are on the numbers all the time. Do you think they are really foolish enough to start a new line to manufacture OM-5 if there are lots of stocks of EM5-mk3? Obviously the stock is pretty low already then they will start the manufacture.

It takes 5 to 10 years to build a brand. To get brand recognition by the buying public.
That was why OMDS first camera OM-1 after 2020 is branded "Olympus".
OMDS was afraid of the massive rejection of an unknown brand.

Do they really expect new buyers to buy a strange camera labeled " OM System " on the camera body ?
What kind of a lousy, lifeless, schmuck brand name is that, anyway? That name was created by an office politician and not by a marketing genius.
Now that they tried to pull that stunt on the buying public, the OM System OM-5 ended in failure. With widespread criticism.

Imagine some one trying to sell a soft drink named "Coca System".
Or a phone named "Apple System".
All will end up in the dustbin.

Public service announcement, we should be thankful camera companies did not shirk it's responsibilities to loyal customers although there were incidents that left a bitter aftertaste with big name brands. Here is a lesson I hope will never happen although computers are needed to process photos. :eek:

The answer to this thread's question.
MFT has no future.

Sharp abandoned its proposed MFT camera after it realised it had made a fatal error to choose the MFT format.
In 2016, Sharp with more than a century history was sold to Foxconn at a bargain basement price. Serves them right.

Panasonic must learn from the demise of Olympus Camera Division and Sharp Corporation.
Panasonic must abandon MFT ASAP before it becomes the Next Victim.

Last edited:
Sharp abandonment has nothing to do with MFT format. Sharp has not been able to come out with anything substantial since Foxconn has took over it in 2016. Unfortunately, Foxconn as the new owner has been focusing on manufacturing iPhones which is much more lucrative. So in fact Sharp itself is an abandoned child. I cannot even find any Sharp cameras listed in DPreview even though I have some memory that it did came out with some cameras. That is how insignificant their cameras was. It is likely that Foxconn took over Sharp for other IP other than those on cameras.

JIP, on the other hand, when they took over Olympus, is much more committed, from the products and firmware update they released.

Panasonic did try to venture into Full Frame, but it quickly realized it is not a bed of roses. It is a red sea where Canon, Sony and Nikon is there. How would Panasonic going to persuade users to choose Panasonic over the big brands? It cannot be just "Oh... now Panasonic has Full Frame too"......... Panasonic or another manufacturer venturing into Full Frame has to be able to find a Unique Selling Point(s) to succeed.

On the other hand, what I found from people buying OM-1 is they need some of the USPs offered by OM-1, the computational features which is difficult to implement on Full Frame cameras, eg. ProCapture, SH2 modes, Live Composite, Live ND etc.

Panasonic should instead focus on improving the GH6 on M43 format, now that Sony is releasing the OM-1 sensor to other manufacturers after the exclusive period granted to OMDS. This will provide the Phase Detect AF most users complained missing in the GH6.

The answer to this thread's question.
MFT has no future.

Sharp abandoned its proposed MFT camera after it realised it had made a fatal error to choose the MFT format.
In 2016, Sharp with more than a century history was sold to Foxconn at a bargain basement price. Serves them right.

Panasonic must learn from the demise of Olympus Camera Division and Sharp Corporation.
Panasonic must abandon MFT ASAP before it becomes the Next Victim.

Now, why do a manufacturer want to choose M43 instead of FF mount to launch it's new 4K streaming video camera?

Obvious reason is the choice of lenses available for the intended purpose.

1. As long as a sensor is able to deliver images / video for the intended purpose, it does not matter whether you are using a GoPro or Full Frame sensor. After all, how many photographers actually sent the full resolution of the Sony A7R4 or R5 to a minilab to print the photos. The photographers I knew always complained they are required to downsize the photos even though they are printing 8R or 12R.

2. You only need 10 megapixel to delivery 4K videos.

3. Thanks to Panasonic which has some great lenses eg. 10-25 F1.7 which is a great lenses for Indoor video and FF can not provide.

Commen Sense will tell you that Yongnua must be done a through survey of the market ensure that M43 is going to survive in the long hual (at least 3 to 5 years) before choosing a mount to base its products on.

He says.

camera brands ranked

Well, it looks like Lumix & OMDS are not doing well. Actually OMDS should be ranked below Lumix.

10. Pentax

9. Lumix

8. Sigma

7. Nikon

6. OM System

5. Sony

4. Canon

3. Fujifilm

2. Hasselblad

1. Leica