WHATS NEXT FOR M43, after Olympus, what future is left?

Note thread had passed 53k views.

Although such big names use clickbait titles they give their opinions like the one above this post.

Last edited:

This is why M43 is still relevant to the outdoor/wildlife area.

OMDS has been active in developing new products for M43!
This is a good sign as it means that after covering its cost, it has additional funds to do R&D.
This is very different from the pessimistic view of @ricohflex who kept saying that JIP will close down OMDS once it realized that it is not making money.

This is an excellent explanation of practical explanation of each format, be it FF, APS or M43.
And also, another photographer that uses both FF and M43 instead of comparing.

Let's be glad that there is an alternative tool for us to take certain images,
instead of bitching on what Olympus should have done etc etc.

This is why M43 is still relevant to the outdoor/wildlife area.

This is an excellent explanation of practical explanation of each format, be it FF, APS or M43.
And also, another photographer that uses both FF and M43 instead of comparing.

Let's be glad that there is an alternative tool for us to take certain images,
instead of bitching on what Olympus should have done etc etc.

He has shown the different similar class performance bodies and focal length reach for FF system , APSC system and M43 system ’s prices. The price differences are huge. Om1 (see video at 8:18 timeline)is considered same class act as A1 or R3 or Z9 but at a much lower price. Not I say , he say so.

Last edited:
This is unfair to Duade Paton. Don't put words in his mouth.
He never said that " Om1 (see video at 8:18 timeline)is considered same class act as A1 or R3 or Z9".
Not at 8.18 or anywhere else in the video.

Only an insane person will insist that OM-1 is in the same class as those 3 competitors' camera models.
He likes to use grey nebulous words like "similar".
Similar, as in a Tata Nano is a car and a Rolls Royce Phantom is a car.

From 8.59 to 9.01. Quote [ "and the only difference really, is the size of the sensor" ] UnQuote.
It is false that there is no difference between Sony A1 or Nikon Z9 or Canon R3 compared to OMDS OM-1, except for size of the sensor.
Duade Paton has made a factual error here and it is a shockingly stupid mistake.

You can check the detailed specs here.

Comparison OM-1 vs A1

Last edited:
The Exact words he used at 8:18 is the OM-1 is "almost as fast as the A1 or Z9"
All 3 of them max shutter speed is 1/32000 sec.
The OM-1 is capable of 120fps with Pro Capture shooting even before the shutter is pressed.
I have not used the A1 or Z9 before but the published specs in dpreview: max fps is 30fps (not sure if there is any special modes)

The IBIS of the OM-1 is 7 stops vs 5.5 on the A1 and 6 on the Z9.

Anyway, the main point is "almost as fast" but at a fraction of the price and weight.
Just go and check the price and weight of the 600mm F4 on the Sony and Nikon and
after that go and check the price of the Olympus 300mm F4 (which gives the Focal Range of 600mm @ F4)
This is what this video is all about, M43 achieving the same Focal Range / Image size at a fraction of the price and weight.

He never said that " Om1 (see video at 8:18 timeline)is considered same class act as A1 or R3 or Z9".

Only an insane person will insist that OM-1 is in the same class as those 3 competitors' camera models.

From 8.59 to 9.01. Quote [ "and the only difference really, is the size of the sensor" ] UnQuote.
It is false that there is no difference between Sony A1 or Nikon Z9 or Canon R3 compared to OMDS OM-1, except for size of the sensor.
Duade Paton has made a factual error here and it is a shockingly stupid mistake.

Comparison OM-1 vs A1

Comparison OM-1 vs A1
Based on B&H price, OM1+300mmpro combined is cheaper than a A1 body. The point is that there are people who want good quality bird/wildlife images can choose m43 as a option after understanding the pro & con vs your favourite FF system. That’s why m43 has a place in the market and has future.(related to this topic). A1 or Z9 or R3 with those pricing, of course naturally they are or must be better than OM1 in the same/similar class (in term of speed). But ultimately, OM1 can match these beasts in term of speed af. RELAX .. Sorry to hit your nerve.LOL.

Last edited:
Don't panic. This is a survey of 4th largest shop in Japan for a very short period 1 Apr 2023 to 15 Apr 2023.
Definitely not the same statistic as world wide sales market share over a 1 year period.
Note what he says from 0:08 to 0:13.

OMDS and Panasonic Lumix are not in the list. Cannot even get into top 10.

Which seems to contradict another boast in the past by OMDS in 2020 that M43 has the NUMBER 1 market share in Japan.
(OMDS says Based On An Internal Survey)
Ownself Say Ownself Is Good.

All in the top 10 are either (7) Full Frame or (3) APS-C.
None are M43.

Fujifilm and Pentax and Leica are also do not have any of their models in the top 10 models.
Does it mean that these 3 brands are no good?

And the reviewer also said Canon does not have any of its high end models in the top 10.
Does that mean that Canon is no good?

This video actually do not make any sense with such a short period and only 1 chain store.

Videos like this are usually created as bait hooks (it definitely hooked @ricohflex and me!

It is still best to base your decision of getting a new camera on your needs and not from any of these youtube reviews.

M43 has always had a very small sensor with all its characteristic disadvantages/failures.

M43 has always had lousy AF.

Previously M43 claimed these advantages - M43 is:
smallest.
lightest.
cheapest.
(which once upon a time worked). But not anymore.

What to do?

Try a New trick - use snake oil salesmen to tell stories about "dynamic range".
To some how convince buyers that M43 is not so bad after all.
Instead of comparing the size of the sensor, the YouTube video uploader makes a big fuss over "dynamic range".

This is scraping the bottom of the barrel. Run out of ideas.

Finally M43 makers have realised that employing "ambassadors & visionaries" is bad for the company.
Because some Internet savvy consumers regard these "ambassadors & visionaries" as unprincipled paid flatterers.
Generally their over-the-top praise of M43 products no longer work to increase sales.

Now M43 makers have less official "ambassadors & visionaries" .
Recently you see NEW snake oil salesmen out of the blue, making YouTube videos to praise M43 products.
Sometimes they make stupid factual mistakes in their exaggerated efforts to over-sell M43.

This is a NEW marketing trick. But how are these new snake oil salesmen paid?
There are many ways that M43 companies can indirectly pay these new Snake Oil salesmen.
For example by engaging their photo services or sponsoring one of their books or exhibitions.

Wow! @ricohflex what an angry senseless article. Did a couple of M43 cameras just drop on your feet? LOL

1) GoPros, Drones, Compact Cameras (Sony RX100 is so popular that it is now in its 7 gen) all have small sensors. Are they failures?

2) All sensor size cameras have small and large bodies to meet certain needs. I bought the EM5 Mk3 because it is small and light. I love it. Sony even tried to come up a similar size 7c and pretend it is small size by providing a Pan Cake kit lens. When I first tested it at the show room, I was shocked that the image quality is not as good as my EM5 mk3 at 1/3 the price. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the 7c sensor. It was the pancake lenses. Because when I plug in the 24-70 GM on the 7c, the image quality is superb! But it was so unbalanced. Just go to any Sony showroom to test the 7c with the pancake and the GM lenses in case some of you think I am bias.

@ricohflex, I have replied many times. Main advantage of M43 is the lenses are much lighter and lower cost. Don't keep looking at the camera body only. A camera body has to be paired with a lenses, in case you do not know. AND the weight difference of a 600mm F4 lenses on a FF camera is several times heavier and several times more costly than a M43 camera and lenses!

3) AF has nothing to do with sensor size. The Fujifilm Medium Format AF cannot match the OM-1 AF, and when it comes to tracking birds in action, many FF Mirrorless can beat the OM-1, unless you pay a few times more for the Sony A1 etc. Again, don't say I am bias. Join some birding groups, make friends and exchange cameras to track birds in action. Some of them are so impressed with the OM-1 that they bought the OM-1 as the 2nd camera.

4) I have never heard M43 cameras advertising Dynamic Range. Where did you get that from? Anyway, Dymanic Range used to be important during the era of the Nikon D850. After that with the advancement of cameras, software and hardware, there are tons of ways to increase dynamic range of your photos. Hardly any camera makers talk about it anymore.

5) I have also not come across any M43 users that bought M43 because of dynamic range! Please give us some respect. M43 users are not that dumb. We are aware that larger sensors generally has a slight advantage in dynamic range. M43 users I know usually buy M43 because the small sensor provides better IBIS, and able to have smaller size lenses. There is no trickery. You are the one that has been trying to trick us!

M43 has always had a very small sensor with all its characteristic disadvantages/failures.

M43 has always had lousy AF.

Previously M43 claimed these advantages - M43 is:
smallest.
lightest.
cheapest.
(which once upon a time worked). But not anymore.

What to do?

Try a New trick - use snake oil salesmen to tell stories about "dynamic range".
To some how convince buyers that M43 is not so bad after all.
Instead of comparing the size of the sensor, the YouTube video uploader makes a big fuss over "dynamic range".

This is scraping the bottom of the barrel. Run out of ideas.

Finally M43 makers have realised that employing "ambassadors & visionaries" is bad for the company.
Because some Internet savvy consumers regard these "ambassadors & visionaries" as unprincipled paid flatterers.
Generally their over-the-top praise of M43 products no longer work to increase sales.

Now M43 makers have less official "ambassadors & visionaries" .
Recently you see NEW snake oil salesmen out of the blue, making YouTube videos to praise M43 products.
Sometimes they make stupid factual mistakes in their exaggerated efforts to over-sell M43.

This is a NEW marketing trick. But how are these new snake oil salesmen paid?
There are many ways that M43 companies can indirectly pay these new Snake Oil salesmen.
For example by engaging their photo services or sponsoring one of their books or exhibitions.

Reactions: Octarine
Read this thread posted by a user in DPreview forum before DPreview shuts down :)
The user is comparing the AF of the Sony A1 and the OM-1.
Look at the photos captured by the OM-1. Then read the last sentence.
"And for those wondering, where's the A1 images, it got 0 in focus against the grass, which is the most intense part of this morning's test. "

@ricohflex by saying M43 has lousy AF only means you have been cursing at the M43 camera you used to have and did not get to understand the characteristics of the M43 camera LOL LOL

I am not saying that M43 or A1 has better AF, just that each camera is fine tuned for a certain purpose and each have its strength.

See what he says about M43 from 9.33 to 11.33.

1. This guy is not a professional photographer, but a youtuber creating content for click baits. Just look at the titles of his content in his channel.
2. He has always been against M43.
3. He chose a time to say M43 is boring after OMDS and Panasonic accounced all their new products a couple of months ago when there was much excitment among M43 users.
4. He has no idea how convenient is the OMDS 90mm Macro lenses. He just pass a comment to say it is useless while all the M43 Macro photographers are going gaga over the lenses. To be credible, he should at least do a similar set up with Sony Nikon or Canon to get the same magnification and take a photo of how clunky are those set up, eg. with extenders, teleconverters, 3rd party manual adapters etc. And after all the attachments still water proof.

@ricohflex if you are worth your salt, please find a similar lenses setup which is weather proof and have the same magnification as the OM 90mm macro lenses.

See what he says about M43 from 9.33 to 11.33.

Why M43 has no future?
Because it has no credibility.
Too many blatant lies over a long period of time, to artificially boost its status.

Remember the lie where an Olympus official categorically denied that Olympus Camera Division will be closing?
Here is another one I spotted accidentally.
One day just browsing Internet.

A website about M43 claimed this.

Magnum photographer Jérôme Sessini wins 1st price at World Press Photo Award (with the EM-1)

Jérôme Sessini did not win first prize in the 2015 awards.
Jérôme Sessini won 2nd prize (Spot News category) for his 2014 photo.
Mads Nissen was the 2015 World Press Photo winner.

This untruth is not the fault of the photographer. Somebody misused his name.
A more blatant lie is that Jérôme Sessini used an Olympus EM-1 to take the award winning photo/s.
I have checked and on another website, a photo by Jérôme Sessini in that assignment was clearly noted as taken with Canon 5D Mk2 using Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM lens at 1/125 sec, f/5 and ISO200.

After a while, you realise that you cannot trust these M43 folks. They are too desperate to spin stories.

Last edited:
Why M43 has no future?
Too many blatant lies over a long period of time, to artificially boost its status.

Remember the lie where an Olympus official categorically denied that Olympus Camera Division will be closing?

Magnum photographer Jérôme Sessini wins 1st price at World Press Photo Award (with the EM-1)

A more blatant lie is that Jérôme Sessini used an Olympus EM-1 to take the award winning photo/s.
I have checked and on another website, a photo by Jérôme Sessini in that assignment was clearly noted as taken with Canon 5D Mk2 using Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM lens at 1/125 sec, f/5 and ISO200.

After a while, you realise that you cannot trust these M43 folks. They are too desperate to spin stories.
SO you are saying this is fake?

Attachments

• IMG_7468.png
    IMG_7468.png
    115.7 KB · Views: 28
Olympus did not lie....... Olympus Camera Division did not close down.
"Closing Down" and "Being Sold" have very different meanings.
@ricohflex you may want to consult a dictionary on the 2 phases LOL

What website is that. Please substantiate your statements by posting the URL here.
If it is a mistake, it will quite easy for anyone to write to them to correct it.
@ricohflex I hope you are not in the marketing line to even think that this is a workable marketing ploy!
Olympus will not be so stupid to do something like this...... if the photo is taken by a Canon camera,
Canon will immediately point it out and it will definitely backfire.

Why M43 has no future?

[/QUOTE]

Pls refer to this https://www.worldpressphoto.org/collection/photocontest/2015

The M43 stated correctly Jerome Sessini won 1st place of the 2015 spot News category.

Pls show us which website you mentioned that Jerome Sessini is using Canon5D ii and 40mm for these set of winning shots. BTW he is a Canon Ambassador for many years. Worldpressphoto published in the website that he is using EM1 on the winning photo, he will correct it immediately if there is a mistake.

Last edited:
M43 continues to be busy with innovations.
There is a rumor that Panasonic may introduce the G6 ii soon (probably with phase detect) LOL
and OMDS may introduced a mid level camera (probably OM-5 with the new OM-1 sensor) OR
the much requested 50-200 F2.8 or 50-250 F4 (this was in their lens road map but specs not clearly defined yet).

The 50-200 gives a focal range of 100-400 @F2.8 and with a TC, 200-800 F5.6.