WHATS NEXT FOR M43, after Olympus, what future is left?

The competition is scary.

Smaller than you.
Lighter than you.
Sensor size almost 4 times bigger.

Much faster and better AF than you.

Higher Megapixel than you.

Cheaper than you !!!

It is the END for M43.

Credit: apotelyt.com

canon-r8-vs-om-system-om-1-front-a.jpg

Last edited:
@ricohflex, yes it's scary but you did a favour to OMDS by highlighting the tough competition for cameras. Do note it is a not apples to apples comparison as R8 is an entry level fullframe Vs OM1 is a professional camera . Sure R8 is bang for buck for stills and video for people that want an easy camera to operate but it's size is from an old canon RP Body with an R6 mk2 sensor and capabilty.

In real world performance it works as intended but still it has predominantly an electronic shutter that can shoot 40fps Vs 6 in 1st. curtain electronic shutter. It still has some warping / curved rolling shutter distortion ( see @9:57 lecross competition stills ) as it is not a bsi stacked sensor like om1.
Nevertheless R8 is perhaps aimed at m43.

Cameras are not perfect including om1. Even the Nikon flagship Z9 can only improve with a firmware update but has it reached the same level as Canon in autofocus? See @9:30...getting close.

The competition is scary.

Smaller than you.
Lighter than you.

Sensor size almost 4 times bigger.

Much faster and better AF than you.

Higher Megapixel than you.

Cheaper than you !!!

It is the END for M43.

Credit: apotelyt.com

canon-r8-vs-om-system-om-1-front-a.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, camera sales will continue to decline despite Sony introducing the A7 V and Canon introduced the R6.
Mobile Phone is to be blamed as more and more users find it more convenient to just take their phone from their pocket and shoot.
But there is also not much innovation from Sony. The Sony A7R5 is almost similar to the A7R4 except for the AI.
How many photographers actually need or want the AI? It is just another gimmick to raise the price.
Same for Canon........ is there any innovations?

Meanwhile, despite a falling market OM Systems has increased its Market share.

Why? Just go to any OM Systems forum and you find that there are so many interesting things happening,
from the OM-1 to the 150-400 Built in TC lenses to the 4x Macro of the OM90.
Even smaller lenses manufacturer come up with lenses for M43, the Laowa 6mm Rectilinear Lenses!!!!!!!

This has nothing to do with how popular a format is. It is about which company is not resting on its laurels and keep coming out with products and lenses which their identified market requires. OM System doesn't care Full Frame has 90% market share. It is not going there to fight with the big boys like Panasonic. It focus on its niche market on outdoor photographers and continue to meet their needs.

(edited)
Camera sales shrank badly worldwide in last few years.

Camera manufacturers fight for survival in the ever reducing pool.

This video is about a sales information from a camera retail chain in Japan.
It is only 1 retail chain in 1 country over a 2 week period.
Does not represent world wide over 1 year.

Reminds me of a boast once made by OMDS that M43 has 21% of the Japan market. (by lens mount).
Also based on a survey by so-called "Four Thirds Secretariat" in the 2019 advertisement.
Later in the 2020 advertsiement, they confessed that it is actually based on an "internal survey". (in the small print).

Internal survey means ownself say ownself is good.

Credit : 43rumors.com

MFT-share-43.jpg

Companies do indulge in this kind of puffing statements. May also be a case of skewed statistics.
For example, if stock was delivered to camera shop but not yet sold to any customer, then they count that as "sold" (to the shop).

Trickery in Statistics is always manipulated by the ASSUMPTIONS.

For what it is worth, do note that M43 cameras from OMDS and Panasonic Lumix have
Zero %
representation in the top 10 sales list that is dominated by Sony, Canon, Nikon and Fuji.

Last edited:
@ricohflex is the one doing all the trickery here!!!!

Not in Top 10 does NOT mean Zero % .

So the Sony A7 R4, Canon R5, Leica, Pentax, Fujifilm XT5 all have zero sales?
And does it mean that all other models not mentioned have Zero sales???

Everyone, please beware of any post made by @ricohflex

His post clearly shows what he is posting trickery and nonsense repeatedly in these Forums.

Camera sales shrank badly worldwide in last few years.

Camera manufacturers fight for survival in the ever reducing pool.

This video is about a sales information from a camera retail chain in Japan.
It is only 1 retail chain in 1 country over a 2 week period.
Does not represent world wide over 1 year.

Reminds me of a boast once made by Olympus that M43 has 21% of the Japan market.
Olympus indulges in this kind of self-delusion. May also be a case of skewed statistics.
For example, if stock was delivered to camera shop but not yet sold to any customer, then they count that as "sold" (to the shop).

Trickery in Statistics is always manipulated by the ASSUMPTIONS.

For what it is worth, do note that M43 cameras from OMDS and Panasonic Lumix have
Zero %
representation in the top 10 sales list that is dominated by Sony, Canon, Nikon and Fuji.

Last edited:
Guys, keep it civilized. Animals in front of the lens are fine, but not when referring to other people.

OM-1 Sales is doing well.

However, I do not agree on the idea of a E-M1x successor as i think most of the features of the E-M1x eg. Subject detection, High IBIS etc have all been ported to the OM-1. If I need a vertical grip, I will just get one instead of a fixed one like the E-M1x. Just wondering what else can a E-M1x can offer on top of what the OM-1 already have.

If resources are limited, I would prefer OMDS focus on further improving the AF of the OM-1.

The other thing OMDS should do is to upgrade the OM-5 sensor. For me I still prefer the size of the OM-5 / EM5 for my trips.
A OM-5 mk2 with built in ND would be perfect for my trekking trips for landscape photography.

I will reach out to my OM-1 if the need subject id and high speed frame rates etc.

The Sony 7c is NOT a M43 killer like what @ricohflex keep saying.
The Sony 7C is instead a Leica Killer!
(not I say but what this reviewer say, watch the youtube).

Why..... because M43 has unique features like 2x focal multiplier, pro capture modes etc to appeal to the outdoor market

(edited)
If OMDS is #1 camera manufacturer, then M43 has a future. Which would be relevant to this thread title topic.
Unfortunately according to this person, some other company is the #1 camera manufacturer over the last 20 consecutive years.
Probably another company making puffing statement.

In the video he says it is based on an internal survey by the company.
When the boss tells his employees to do a survey about how well the company is doing, you can predict the result.
Ownself say ownself is good. That is the problem with Japan camera industry today.
Too much reliance on ambassadors, visionaries, influencers on social media/YouTube. Paid flatterers are not trustworthy.

He say. (this video uploader is not an ambassador of any company) Not I say.

Last edited:
@ricohflex Again you either misquote the video on purpose to mislead others or you totally cannot comprehend what the person is saying.

He keep asking "DOes it matter who is number 1?"

Also, your logic on "If OMDS is #1 camera manufacturer, then M43 has a future. "
So Canon is #1, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic, Leica, Fujifilm all has no future?

Thanks for keeping us entertained on your illogical logic.
I did had a good laugh thinking of how you think.

If OMDS is #1 camera manufacturer, then M43 has a future. Which would be relevant to this thread title topic.
Unfortunately according to this person, some other company is the #1 camera manufacturer over the last 20 consecutive years.
Probably another company making puffing statement.

In the video he says it is based on an internal survey by the company.
Ownself say ownself is good. That is the problem with Japan camera industry today.
Too much reliance on ambassadors, visionaries, influencers on social media/YouTube. Paid flatterers are not trustworthy.

He say. Not I say.

@Ricohflex , even fullframe or mirrorless is over? Every man for himself. :oops:

It is over for this person. Economy is bad. Even Twitter, Google, Meta, Amazon are firing huge numbers of employees.
We are talking about thousands of people. If you work for Credit Suisse or Silicon Valley Bank, then the future is not rosy.
Camera manufacturers terminate their ambassadors to cut costs.

Pundits anticipate a recession. That means luxury item like camera/lens is not priority.

Mobile phones have replaced the role of cheap compact cameras in past era.

In the present mobile phone era, those buyers who really bother to buy a camera system with many lenses - can afford it.
They are not looking for a 2 points out of 10 sub-standard camera system (M43). (my opinion)
They want the best and will pay for it.

When the decreasing pool of buyers demand the highest quality.
M43 is practically a non-starter. Just cast aside by huge majority of buyers in their purchasing decision matrix.
That means M43 is difficult to sell to new buyers and future generation.

Tony Northrup, Kazuto Yamaki and Gerald Undone are correct about M43.
Those who have sunken costs in M43 keep protesting that M43 is (to them) not defunct.
They still don''t get it.

People are not saying the M43 camera will suddenly stop functioning and refuse to take pictures.
People are saying that as far as NEW sales to NEW buyers is concerned, M43 is already at a very low market share.
That is fast diiminishing to even lower sales figures. No camera manufacturer can sustain big losses over a long period of time.

Last edited:
Maarten Heilbron is holding a 1950's vintage camera ILOCA Quick model branded Reporter made for the Kaufhof department-store chain.

When he said It's Over.

Maybe he meant the Olympus OM-D E-M1X is over priced and over weight and over sized for such a very small sensor camera.

I shared the same view until I tried the E-M1x at one of Olympus Birding workshop.

When paired with the Olympus 300mm with a 2xTC, I got a focal range of 1200mm and I find it totally unbelievable that I am able to shoot HANDHELD on small birds flying around, as a beginner.

The balance and grip is excellent when paired with a long telephoto lenses, which was not the case when I put the same lens on my EM5.

Small sensor does not mean camera body have to be small, though that could be one of the objectives for me.
Small sensor also mean faster processing speed and better IBIS, which the EM1x was leading at that time, before the OM-1.

At the End of the day, I thought it was wise for OMDS to offer a vertical grip for the OM-1 for those occasions where we need to shoot portrait mode or mount large lenses, so that we can keep the OM-1 small enough for other usage.

That is why I am not for the idea that OMDS spent resources to develop the EM1x mk2, unless they can produce certain advantages over the OM-1.
The OM-1 is already able to capture at 120fps and 7 stops IBIS which is meeting the needs of most sports and birds photography.

Maarten Heilbron is holding a 1950's vintage camera ILOCA Quick model branded Reporter made for the Kaufhof department-store chain.

When he said It's Over.

Maybe he meant the Olympus OM-D E-M1X is over priced and over weight and over sized for such a very small sensor camera.

OMDS OM1 recieved best m43 camera award TIPA 2023. Not dead yet.. :D @5:57

See this Olympics 100m final. What do you see? 8 competitors in the race. 1 winner.
For heaven's sake. M43 is a TWO HORSE race. OMDS and Panasonic. It is like a lower grade event that others do not even bother to take part.
What is so great about "winning" such a race?

Credit: sbnation.com

20120805_lbm_am8_5022_extra_large_medium.jpg

Last edited:
Same for Medium Format SLRs, only Hasselblad and Fujifilm still active.
Same for Action Cameras, only GoPRo and DJI still active.

@ricohflex why don't you also go to their forums and compare them with Full Frame?

Every format has their own advantages.

Otherwise, you might as well say Hasselblad, Fujifilm, Go Pro and DJI adopt full frame format?
Now you know how ridiculous you look in this thread, always trying to compare.

See this Olympics 100m final. What do you see? 8 competitors in the race. 1 winner.
For heaven's sake. M43 is a TWO HORSE race. OMDS and Panasonic. It is like a lower grade event that others do not even bother to take part.
What is so great about "winning" such a race?

M43, Hasselblad, Fujifilm, GoPRo, DJI are not even in that race. They are all swimming happily in their own blue ocean !!! LOL

Credit: sbnation.com

20120805_lbm_am8_5022_extra_large_medium.jpg

In this world of A.I., photography may be a thing of the past. So be it mFT or FF or MF, it may soon be history. like those plates and gunpowder.

Agreed. Besides AI photography, consumer's behavior also play a big part in deciding which format will stay or be gone in history.

Mobile phone initially hardly threatened M43, FF or MF.
BUT as mobile phone cameras get better and apps for sharing images become popular, more and more people are sharing photos via Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp and Wechat, people print photos lesser and lesser. And hence, they began to stop using their cameras (I am talking of the general public, not professionals or hobbyists). This causes a huge drop in demand for cameras.

In this world of A.I., photography may be a thing of the past. So be it mFT or FF or MF, it may soon be history. like those plates and gunpowder.

Sorry I feel I have to repeat this here as myths repeated becomes fact to nip this in the bud. To all when you come across such provocative clickbait titles is to use your own discernment and ask who is the person making such statements. The content provider is just a writer, check his background. He is not a real working professional photographer. He writes for a living so does he have the pulse on the industry first hand? As usual on YouTube people jump on the bandwagon as viewership numbers determine how a youtuber's content get bumped up on the algorithm to be visible on people's attention.

@6:10

@3:30 AI all looks the same! :eek: