Sian...SCV sport channel increase price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
jeff49er said:
Just my humble opinion, ESPN should pack up and go.

Very sadly we are a small nation and that means we can never enjoy what other mass market can. :cry:

But if ESPN quits, we won't have any more "Buy Buy Buy" shoutings.

:devil:

togu said:

hehehehehe..... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

togu said:

ha-ha-ha.. i try to luff but i cant.... nt funni..... he is Nikon's savior.. 4 brainwashing us to buy more equipments..... and thats good.. cuz it cures our NAS for the next few mths with roti diets.... :thumbsup:

BUY ! BUY ! BUY !

I'm paying the increment for soccer matches which i do not watch.

Not enuf snooker program, definitely cancel sports channel.

glennyong said:
yah... who wants and dares to fight with Singtel and Starhub now... haha.. u know why ? because DPM Lee's wife is the major shareholder of Singtel and Starhub... she holds the the 2nd largest share of Singtel besides Lee Hsien Yang... and i think she holds 75% of Starhub's shares ? :dunno:

simple reason why theres no competitor for Starhub in cable tv ?

because everyones afraid of the lady at the top of the hill.... and if she gets angry.... the bombs start flying and pricings start floating to the sky.. and we will pay more and lose more to her..

in the end.. we are the losing end.....

i wish to correct your stt. PM Lee H L's wife, Mdm Ho Ching is not a major shareholder of Singtel and Starhub. It is one or more of the govt related cos like Temasek Holdings, ST Telemedia, etc.

i'm on ultimate plan so i am not affected... but just hates the sports channel anyway... dunno wats up, the WRC went to AXN, and AXN's timing was the worst... dunno wat is the time they show WRC anyway, and the new commentator sux... y not just show me the race & get on with it...

*me no soccer/nba fanboy.. :x

reachme2003 said:
i wish to correct your stt. PM Lee H L's wife, Mdm Ho Ching is not a major shareholder of Singtel and Starhub. It is one or more of the govt related cos like Temasek Holdings, ST Telemedia, etc.

Hmm.. You're right in saying that Mdm Ho Ching isn't a major shareholder of Singtel and Starhub per se :) However, as you mentioned, Temasek Holdings owns most of Singtel/Starhub and Mdm Ho Ching happens to be the Executive Director and CEO ;)

And I unsubscribed from the sports channel as well.. Not really worth the money.

I just got my letter from Starhub and yes, it does seem a bit of a price hike.

Luckily, my parents from UK are visiting and they told me that they pay around $90 a month for Sky Digital and then some matches cost 5 pounds (15 dollars) pay per view. That sort of puts it into perspective.

We're getting a great deal, it's just that we've been used to getting a REALLY great deal!!

Just to share my experience, i hv very bad experience with starhub leh. Make sure u keep ur work order if u r using MaxOnline. For my case, Maxonline was disrupted twice within 3 weeks.

On the 2nd time, I called the helpdesk for "takan" them explanation. Then the starhub technician called me up to asked for my copy of work order. I checked what is so important on the workorder - MAC address! It makes sense since Maxonline do not need to logon, that is one way to control unauthorised access. I might be wrong but Starhub helpdesk smoke me with stupid explanation and never answer my question.

Best of all part, they keep on "begging" me to accept 1 week wavier of the subscription, constantly reminding me to accept their "good gesture". What so great of the 1 week wavier? Sort of reminded me the SQ incident, accept the compensation and end of story of U no more appealing.

epiphany said:
Hmm.. You're right in saying that Mdm Ho Ching isn't a major shareholder of Singtel and Starhub per se :) However, as you mentioned, Temasek Holdings owns most of Singtel/Starhub and Mdm Ho Ching happens to be the Executive Director and CEO ;)

And I unsubscribed from the sports channel as well.. Not really worth the money.

You are correct that Mdm Ho Ching is an executive employee of Temasek. Despite that, she still does not own a single share in Temasek.

Anyway, if i have to choose between being an employee and a shareholder, i prefer the latter.

Phildate said:
We're getting a great deal, it's just that we've been used to getting a REALLY great deal!!
For soccer afficionados, perhaps. But definitely not for those aren't (it sucks!)! ;)

:Later,

Come on people ... let's keep politics out of this; to begin with the price hike has nothing to do with it! (For those who have been following the development should know what are the real reasons)

For me, bo bian lor ... I can't live without football ... :confused:

can you just close the thread the way u did for http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=97852 ? Thanks.

AdamGoi said:
Come on people ... let's keep politics out of this; to begin with the price hike has nothing to do with it! (For those who have been following the development should know what are the real reasons)

For me, bo bian lor ... I can't without football ... :confused:

Phildate said:
I just got my letter from Starhub and yes, it does seem a bit of a price hike.

Luckily, my parents from UK are visiting and they told me that they pay around $90 a month for Sky Digital and then some matches cost 5 pounds (15 dollars) pay per view. That sort of puts it into perspective.

but then again, it's also about standard of living

the brits are paid more, which makes the amt they pay for cable relatively ok.

anyway

i'm such an idiot, i'm going to miss my EPL like crazy, but i was really pissed at the increase and i called to terminate my sports channel.

i never like to be help ransom by a corporation. even if it's just my one voice, i intend to make a stand.

hopefully, if enough people do the same, it may just make enough of a difference for scv to wake up and do something, increase sponsorship, do charity, but costs internally etc.

Aton said:
I'm paying the increment for soccer matches which i do not watch.

Not enuf snooker program, definitely cancel sports channel.

Yes yes! Not enough snooker program :confused: If only they broadcast it 'live' :think:

Cancelled the sports channel liao. So how many people cancelled the sports channel because of this increase? Just curious because Starhub might be shotting itself on the leg by increasing the price.

Regards

reachme2003 said:
You are correct that Mdm Ho Ching is an executive employee of Temasek. Despite that, she still does not own a single share in Temasek.

Anyway, if i have to choose between being an employee and a shareholder, i prefer the latter.

are you sure??

for high position directors, they are always given some form of shares as incentive.
with more option to purchase at lower than market price.
with shares, the higher management will work harder. (better profit, higher share price)

starhub will cover more than enuff with all the cancelling.
they should anticipated and compute - certain percentage of cancelling with
the number of no choice subscriber (pub owners/hardcore EPL viewers).

Put it in this way scenario.

ESPN contract - $4million
eg. 100,000 subscriber - $8
Profit $4million

new contract

ESPN contract - $8million
80,000 subscriber - $15
Profit $4million

So for those who cancelled, they already budgeted. those pubs who want beer/liquor business, won't consider cancelling.

Yes, senior position directors often do have performance share awards and share options, even in Gov owned companies. But they do not in anyway have a 'major share'. Most of the time their personal shares are less than 1% of the total shares.

As far as Starhub is concerned - it is under ST Telemedia (a holding company), which is under Singapore Technologies (until Dec 31), and will eventually be held under Temasek. And as far as I know, Temasek doesn't issue shares - it is the subsidiaries companies (eg. SIA, Singtel, NOL, etc) which do.

Back to the topic.....I am unsubscribing from the sports channel. Doesn't have much of the sports I watch anyways.

bwilly said:
are you sure??

for high position directors, they are always given some form of shares as incentive.
with more option to purchase at lower than market price.
with shares, the higher management will work harder. (better profit, higher share price)

starhub will cover more than enuff with all the cancelling.
they should anticipated and compute - certain percentage of cancelling with
the number of no choice subscriber (pub owners/hardcore EPL viewers).

Put it in this way scenario.

ESPN contract - $4million
eg. 100,000 subscriber - $8
Profit $4million

new contract

ESPN contract - $8million
80,000 subscriber - $15
Profit $4million

So for those who cancelled, they already budgeted. those pubs who want beer/liquor business, won't consider cancelling.

If i read you correctly, you think that senior mgt positions have more benefits than shareholders. That is something i have no problem with because it is your opinion. But I throw one question to you. Shareholders can sack senior mgt positions including directors but not the reverse. Shareholders can dangle carrots to pressure directors to perform. If they do not, shareholders sack them and rehire new directors. Who cares about share options, fringe benefits etc, when shareholders have profits in cash!

Status
Not open for further replies.