Should I buy the 24-70 II or the TS-E 17?

Tamron 24-70VC + samyang 14

Covered top to toe
Good combo!

Well... one thing I have to point out here after reading through some of the comments here... TS-E (tilt shift lenses) are perfectly capable of taking portrait shots as well as group photo. It is just that not many people do that, but it does not mean, this lens cannot do it.

Photography Q&A | Tilt Shift Lens (aka “how did you get that blur?”) » Michelle Moore

And if TS really want to try it or have the money to get that lens and play around with it, then by all means, it is a fun lens to use.

Second, there really is nothing wrong with using fully manual lens to capture event, before AF came into place, photographers had been using manual focus in events and sports and if they can do it, I don't see why TS or anyone now couldn't, it needed practice and lots of patients thats all.

Fully agree. Nowadays some are really spoilt with EF USM lenses until they forget how to focus. Although it isn't as fun as before with the split level focusing screens, its still possible to get sharply focused images manually.

Hello everyone, I almost decided to go for TS-E24(sorry not the TS-E17, I've changed my mind. Since after reading some reviews, I found the 17 can't use with filters, easy to catch flare. I can stitch the image from 24 to get a wider image. The TS-E24 has the best-in-class IQ @24mm than 24 1.4L/16-35 II/17-40L, and it has creative usage).

When I was using the 16-35 II, I found the distortion unacceptable below 28mm, and IQ is not sharp.

And the 24-70 II's lens hood is not as cool as the 1st gen. I've been using 50mm, and I think the perspective of 50 mm is good for sometimes, but I can use the 70mm from my 70-200 II to simulate it. For 35mm, I can just crop the image from 24 to get it. So I think the range benefit of 24-70 is not attractive for me.

Hello everyone, I almost decided to go for TS-E24(sorry not the TS-E17, I've changed my mind. Since after reading some reviews, I found the 17 can't use with filters, easy to catch flare. I can stitch the image from 24 to get a wider image. The TS-E24 has the best-in-class IQ @24mm than 24 1.4L/16-35 II/17-40L, and it has creative usage).

When I was using the 16-35 II, I found the distortion unacceptable below 28mm, and IQ is not sharp.

And the 24-70 II's lens hood is not as cool as the 1st gen. I've been using 50mm, and I think the perspective of 50 mm is good for sometimes, but I can use the 70mm from my 70-200 II to simulate it. For 35mm, I can just crop the image from 24 to get it. So I think the range benefit of 24-70 is not attractive for me.

lol. so you plan to shoot mf all the time huh, must be pro.

Well... one thing I have to point out here after reading through some of the comments here... TS-E (tilt shift lenses) are perfectly capable of taking portrait shots as well as group photo. It is just that not many people do that, but it does not mean, this lens cannot do it.

Photography Q&A | Tilt Shift Lens (aka “how did you get that blur?”) » Michelle Moore

And if TS really want to try it or have the money to get that lens and play around with it, then by all means, it is a fun lens to use.

Second, there really is nothing wrong with using fully manual lens to capture event, before AF came into place, photographers had been using manual focus in events and sports and if they can do it, I don't see why TS or anyone now couldn't, it needed practice and lots of patients thats all.

The main issue here is TS doesn't seem to really understand what he wants.
All he seems to be doing is: oh, i need a 17mm. TS-E 17 is 17mm. I need this. NAO. BBB.

Wow! Not choosing a lens because the lens hood is not cool! Just wow!!!! I am totally speechless!

Last edited:

So did the review that you trust so much tells you it's barrel distortion, or perspective distortion?

And the 24-70 II's lens hood is not as cool as the 1st gen.

That's some entertainment.. You buying a lens or the hood? :bsmilie:

Seriously if you want to look rich a cool, buy the 1DX and mount it with the 1200L. :D

Seriously if you want to look rich a cool, buy the 1DX and mount it with the 1200L. :D

Buy a Leica M. coolbeans > 9000.

Of course at the end of the day it's TS' money. But I've gone thru that dreaded cycle of buying stuff that I use like < 10 times then it's just taking space in my room and that money could have been better spent on other things.

Well... since TS had already decided on which lens to get, lets give him/her our blessing. It is his/her money and he/her can choose to spend it anyway he/she wanted.

As to the reasons for his/her decision is really none of our business, and really not whether it is correct or not. And to TS, get whatever you like and whatever make you happy, because photography is a fun thing to do, there really is no need to justify to anyone (except yourself) on what u have gotten or would be getting :)

Be cool and happy :)

forget about the original Canon lens hood,

use this,

LEE Filters P105 Wide Angle Lens Hood KIT-WALHFP105-PLC105 B&H

it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo cool,

and you can use it with TS-E17 too

JHP Blog - August 18, 2011 &#8211 Mounting a Lee SW150 Filter Holder on a Canon TS-E 17

anyway, you will look so cool and so pro with this lens hood, even it is on a 50mmf1.8 lens

Last edited:
avsquare said:
So did the review that you trust so much tells you it's barrel distortion, or perspective distortion?

That's some entertainment.. You buying a lens or the hood? :bsmilie:

Next time when i go buy lens I will be sure to check if the hood is cool or not. If not cool I won't buy. Thanks for the reminder.

lololol.

**** nowsadays CS got alot of these kind of posters.

i think people are just getting richer day by day. wonder why i so poor.

Again. Its proven. Its more important to look cool and good.
:bsmilie:

Congrats on your decision and hopefully more people would come up to you and say u look great. ;)

I didn't choose because it looks cool, the TS-E24 has following advantages:
1) leading IQ @24mm
2) tilt/shift to correct distortion
3) 0.39x magnification, can be used as macro lens
4) tile/shift can be used to create funny effect like miniature, etc.

And about the manual focus, if shoot at landscape, the depth of field is big enough, I can easily get focus, no need to always use the live view to get focus.

dtwatson said:
I didn't choose because it looks cool, the TS-E24 has following advantages:
1) leading IQ @24mm

And about the manual focus, if shoot at landscape, the depth of field is big enough, I can easily get focus, no need to always use the live view to get focus.

Eh brudder, you DO realise that the NEW 24-70 beats the TS-E 24 in IQ yes? Well according to this review at least.

In answer to your other points:

How badly distorted do you expect people to be with a 24-70?

Er.... Good luck with that mate. If I had wanted macro I would use a dedicated macro lens or even a Raynox converter but your money, your call.

So can photoshop's layer mask and gradient blur but again, your money, your call.

wah kao, da fug i just read?

I like ans i hv 17tse because it doesnt hv any lens hood and cannot put filter :)

The shape of the lens is awesome, ppl will look at my camera and ask.. What lens is that hahaha :)

dronell said:
I like ans i hv 17tse because it doesnt hv any lens hood and cannot put filter :)

The shape of the lens is awesome, ppl will look at my camera and ask.. What lens is that hahaha :)

Woah sooooooo cool! Hahahahah.