Ring flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good choice but I think jeanie can't use this.

The sigma ring flash, if I remamber correctly, is a 52mm filter size. Our dear jeanie's lens all big big one, filter size bigger than 52mm.

What to do? That's the down side to being able to afford good lens :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

2 diff views but I tent to agreed with theRBK on this.

I've used the Bowen flash before many years back and it is as what theRBK have stated, subject close to b/g, the ring flash will cast a even/halo shadow around the subject. Depanding on how far the subject is from the b/g, the halo shadow will be either bigger or smaller but even when the subkect is resting on the b/g, there is still a halo shadow. The way to "remove the halo shadow is to place the subject away from the b/g and either light up the b/g or to keep the b/g darker than the halo shadow so that it blands into the b/g. We were using a Bowen ringlight with a defuser so the shadow was a soft halo shadow.

I think you are right...

BC:)

actually, for studio shoot, even not using ringflash, but normal studio strobes,subject is suppose to stand further from backdrop aint it?

Not really, depands on the concept that you want. You only die die must have the subject away from the b/g if you don't want any shadow ( actually, this one can backlight ), want to cast a light on b/g, maintain a diff f/stop between subject and b/g or to pervent colour cast reflected from the b/g to the subject, just to name a few, other that that, I don't see why not?

actually, for studio shoot, even not using ringflash, but normal studio strobes,subject is suppose to stand further from backdrop aint it?
suppose so, but depends what effects you want to achieve,
ideally, if you use a normal lens to shoot a full length subject, the subject to background distance is the same as camera to subject distance, so you are able to use another lights to light the background separately and will not affected by main or key light.

Good choice but I think jeanie can't use this.

The sigma ring flash, if I remamber correctly, is a 52mm filter size. Our dear jeanie's lens all big big one, filter size bigger than 52mm.

What to do? That's the down side to being able to afford good lens :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
According to the manual (http://www.sigmaphoto.com/flashes/manuals/F30NA.pdf)

"Ø55mm, and Ø58mm filter MacroFlash Adapters are bundled with your flashgun. If you want to attach your flashgun to a lens which has a different filter size then please purchase separately a MacroFlash Adapter.(Only Ø52mm, Ø62mm, Ø72mm, Ø77mm macroflash adapters are available)"

BTW, I am curious to find out... has anyone has tried a macro ringflash for portraits? What is the effect like?

BC

I still have a Sunpak one but only TTL, no iTTL and not even dTTL, so cannot use with dSLR unless I want to use manual power control. But if shooting macro insects, by the time you adjust something, it will be gone.. :(

if you shoot macro at max reproduction all the time
then the flash to subject will be the same
so you can set to Manual, get the correct aperture
and shoot without worries

the master of macro has spoken. Jot it down.

am thinking of getting a ring flash.
i'm talking about huge type that can reflect in the subject's pupils.
i did a search and realised there's one for sale at 4.5k.
too expensive.
are there any cheaper recommendations?

Looking for 1 also ..
can try out the sigma Ring flash.. other then that.. the cost will be the next hindering factor

Good point you have there. :thumbsup: But unfortunately, handheld macro shots doesn't always allow me to fix my magnification ratio. :( But suddenly, you just gave me the thought that manual flash can actually work for me since I mostly shoot in available light most of the time, I do not really need an accurate exposure from the flash.. Time for me to bring out that ringlight again! Muhahahaha!!

According to the manual (http://www.sigmaphoto.com/flashes/manuals/F30NA.pdf)

"Ø55mm, and Ø58mm filter MacroFlash Adapters are bundled with your flashgun. If you want to attach your flashgun to a lens which has a different filter size then please purchase separately a MacroFlash Adapter.(Only Ø52mm, Ø62mm, Ø72mm, Ø77mm macroflash adapters are available)"

BC

Yeah, you're right. Only thing is that the org ring size is 52mm so even if you buy a step up ring adaptor
the org size is still 52mm and this may cause your images to have dark shadow on the image corners ( there's a name for it.... ve... damn!! brain not working today!!! )
I use to have a step up ring from 62mm to 77mm. When I use it on my 80-200, I get a little bit of the shadow thingy at 80mm, I suspect that jeanie's lens are mainly 72/77mm filter size.

cheers :)

Yeah, you're right. Only thing is that the org ring size is 52mm so even if you buy a step up ring adaptor
the org size is still 52mm and this may cause your images to have dark shadow on the image corners ( there's a name for it.... ve... damn!! brain not working today!!! )
I use to have a step up ring from 62mm to 77mm. When I use it on my 80-200, I get a little bit of the shadow thingy at 80mm, I suspect that jeanie's lens are mainly 72/77mm filter size.

Micro 60, 105, 105VR threads are 62mm. Micro 105 is actually 52mm but there is another outer ring on the barrel which is 62mm.

vigneete

Status
Not open for further replies.