OFFICIAL: CANON EOS 6D - User Thread - Part 3

The first photo is very sharp for a casual hand held photo. Add a little more post processing sharpening will be even sharper.
Don't compare it to those studio shots with controlled lighting and shoot on tripod.

yeap 2nd and 3rd pic is shoot at relatively high iso

yeap you might be correct, i do have shaky hands

i was browsing thru some website which explains sharpness on images, where one of the criteria is seeing the eyelashes clearly, line by line, not smudges even in low resolution

mine are totally lacking in that....

i try to shoot at 1/80 at least, if not faster

i understand that. but my images are lacking that kind of *snap-finger* sharpness i seen on magazines leh...

i used spot metering and auto-focus on the center of the frame, then reframe the shot
1st: iso100, f2.8, 1/320
2nd: iso800, f8, 1/160
3rd: iso400, f2.8, 1/1600

- How much sharpening are you doing in post processing now? What software or plugins? I just randomly added a high pass sharpening layer and you can start to see those "count eyelashes" thingy you are referring to. But at the same time, noise will be sharpened as well.

- For those magazine shots, I'm not sure how much post production they are doing behind the scene.
- For the focus and reframe, most of the time, on crop camera, it isn't that big of an issue. But I suspect it's your subject that moved that bit off. Causing the original intended focused spot to be shifted.

yeap 2nd and 3rd pic is shoot at relatively high iso

yeap you might be correct, i do have shaky hands

i was browsing thru some website which explains sharpness on images, where one of the criteria is seeing the eyelashes clearly, line by line, not smudges even in low resolution

mine are totally lacking in that....

i try to shoot at 1/80 at least, if not faster

i understand that. but my images are lacking that kind of *snap-finger* sharpness i seen on magazines leh...

i used spot metering and auto-focus on the center of the frame, then reframe the shot

I'm not a pro here, but looking at the fact that only 1st & 3rd pics are not sharp (while your 2nd pic is OK), and you mentioned that you used focus & reframe method, this might be the culprit..

When you re-frame (or re-compose), subject to sensor distance might change. On thin DOF (say f/2.8 and short distance), you will miss the focus easily.

Perhaps 2nd pic is better because it's shot at f/8, where you have enough DOF to focus & re-frame.

Try to shoot something (preferably a static subject) using:
- f/2.8
- 1/500 (actually up to you, basically shutter speed fast enough to eliminate shaky hand blur). Use tripod if you want.
- single AF point (say the center point)
- BUT without re-composing.

If it's sharp, then nothing wrong with your camera..

* Masters please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
- How much sharpening are you doing in post processing now? What software or plugins? I just randomly added a high pass sharpening layer and you can start to see those "count eyelashes" thingy you are referring to. But at the same time, noise will be sharpened as well.

- For those magazine shots, I'm not sure how much post production they are doing behind the scene.
- For the focus and reframe, most of the time, on crop camera, it isn't that big of an issue. But I suspect it's your subject that moved that bit off. Causing the original intended focused spot to be shifted.
comparing with images from your flickr, there is a significant level of "clear-ness" (i don't know how to describe) from mine. I have very little clue on how to achieve that...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/yukuang/14945263715/

currently using lightroom
Sharpening Amount 25
Radius 1.0
Details 45
Masking 10

The first photo is very sharp for a casual hand held photo. Add a little more post processing sharpening will be even sharper.
Don't compare it to those studio shots with controlled lighting and shoot on tripod.

most of the time i am doing outdoor shoots with no light modifiers other than flash

i am noob at grasping the sharpening technique

from this i know why liao... u use mid point to focus and recompose shot..the shot wont be as sharp as u frame and focus on the eyes using other af point

comparing with images from your flickr, there is a significant level of "clear-ness" (i don't know how to describe) from mine. I have very little clue on how to achieve that...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/yukuang/14945263715/

currently using lightroom
Sharpening Amount 25
Radius 1.0
Details 45
Masking 10

most of the time i am doing outdoor shoots with no light modifiers other than flash

i am noob at grasping the sharpening technique

Try pushing the sharpening amount abit. But at the same time, take note of the high iso noise ( if shot at high iso). Play around with the combinations (sharpening amt, radius, masking).

Sharpening will make noise more obvious, usually I will perform noise reduction before sharpening.

*Also note that NR will cause certain amount of details to be lost.

Sharpening will only work well if your subject is in focus in the first place. If it's out of focus, then it won't work.

*Otoh, try to use the Canon dpp and export the raw file into jpg...see if the sharpness is better in the jpg..

Last edited:
Hi guys,
Did anyone order 6D from Quiet Electronics Store? Their price is very attractive... Is this a scam?

Hi guys,
Did anyone order 6D from Quiet Electronics Store? Their price is very attractive... Is this a scam?

Check the currency... I believe it's in pounds.

And, never would I buy anything from websites that doesn't even use https when entering personal information. If you are looking for grey sets, there are some shops/websites locally that have it.

Hi All,
I got.a quote from Cathay photo for 6D at S$2192.
Comes with 8GB card and usual accessories.
And collect $210 NTUC vouchers from CSC.
So do anyone have any better price share?

Hi All,
I got.a quote from Cathay photo for 6D at S$2192.
Comes with 8GB card and usual accessories.
And collect $210 NTUC vouchers from CSC.
So do anyone have any better price share?

is that Body Only price?

It's still a great camera, so I'll be happy to keep shooting with it. Pressing the pretty silent shutter is so pleasing to my ears.

It's still a great camera, so I'll be happy to keep shooting with it. Pressing the pretty silent shutter is so pleasing to my ears.
Ditto. I always shoot with silent shutter.

Another feature I find invaluable is the GPS. I use this when travelling. With this switched on, I don't need to remember the locations for each of the hundreds of shots - especially when stopping along a route to shoot photos of opportunities. Only need to remember to carry a spare battery and charge every night.

hi there does anyone know how to fix the d-pad? The right button always seems to be a little unresponsive and requires excessive pressure to get it to work, gets pretty annoying especially when i need to change my AF point :(

Does anyone know how to setup a fast button to enable/disable external flash on Canon 6D? Now I can only turn on/off flash power to control it. Thanks.

Does anyone know how to setup a fast button to enable/disable external flash on Canon 6D? Now I can only turn on/off flash power to control it. Thanks.

Whoa. If possible it's be really awesome!

I would like to know also.

Speaking about fast button..

Today I just realized that you can quickly set exposure compensation using the scroll wheel behind the cam :sweat: No wonder they put a lock switch there.

Do you guys find that the Lens registration on Mac 10.10 sometimes behaves weirdly? I tried and got some error indicating I am not connected. But it was able to transfer pictures, change copyright info etc. It seems intermittent as I finally got my lens registered properly. Somehow I didn't click the OK for the error message, and was on the phone for a bit, then suddenly it connects. That's after many rounds of trying!

Anyways, enough ranting.

I still think it's a great cam, and the following recent shots!

16130407126_84df901916_c.jpg

16314784266_10514c27e9_c.jpg

Last edited: