Official Canon EOS 60D User Thread Part I

KHC

Jan 22, 2006
south
This thread for EOS 60D cam user to discuss or want to be 60D user soon or later.
Information sharing on this new camera feature.like or so so.

Kick start.

Tested the 60D cam set at vivo showroom short period of time.
The variangle LCD on the back of the cam is plus sign.
May want went the same route offered by other camp,S,N,O.
It not too late for C to get this feature in the sandwich in between mid or entry DSLR cam.

Features Button location wise of the cam ,not use to it. it blend in between the old XXD with XXXD model cam.
The 4 ways pad surrounded the set button are not that friendly. it may be me.
Need sometime to get use to it.

Top LCD buttons.Most of them flash to the cam body.need some force to press further.:sweat:

Wireless flash control.for strobish or off camera flash ppl.it a plus sign.

CF card or SD card.it just memory card. get a branded one and good speed,it will do.

Plastic or Magnesium body.It just a protected layer for the cam.
Cam it just a tool to capture image from the time of moment.
It still depend the skill and experience of the man behind camTrigger the shutter.sometime luck.

Canon always left some features behind for next model.so they can extract $$ from the user.

For New 60D user,Enjoy your newly brought cam. tempted to try the 60D first can head down VivoCity canon showroom to hand on the 60D cam.

Cheer.............................

Last edited:
Lets predict than ... ,

how many firmware upgrade version will release for this new body ?

less than 10x ( just for fun ) ?

you can also say that Canon left some features out to make the camera affortable, so
that users who don't need those features aren't burden with something they don't use ?

:))

7D is very nice, but I like Variangle LCD more than those weather proof features.

19 AF points inside the same area as the 9 points really dont offer more options, May be good
for those doing tracking focus......

19 AF points inside the same area as the 9 points really dont offer more options, May be good for those doing tracking focus......
actually, 7D's 19 AF points have better coverage of the corner thirds of the frame. Makes it easier than the old 9-point layout to compose rule of thirds.

Congratulation to those who has bought 60D :thumbsup:
Whether can share some photos here ?

Some quick & dirty shots:

Test04.jpg

Test03.jpg

Test02.jpg

Test01.jpg

U can see how's the tonal qualities. The above shots were done with the 55-250mm cheapo lens. IMO, totally not even worth S$100, really crap stuff. There's a purchase with purchase to get it cheap, but i really dun recommend

Toescrop.jpg

This shot was 100% crop from 100mm macro prime lens, shot at 1/160 ISO400 F5.6. Think 60D quality is only so so. Even with a prime lens dun look good *CRY*

All shots in RAW & converted using DPP. Will upload more when i have the time

Last edited:
Here is a shot to test hi ISO. Set at 6400, the original pic is such:

Test07.jpg

Using DPP, u can set the NR with Luma or Chroma reduction. This one is all off (at 100% crop):

6400noNR.jpg

This one is with Chroma NR On only, Luma NR is untouched to maintain details

6400NRChroma.jpg

I think at 6400, its still usable. Noise wise i think not too far off from 40D, considering that this is a 18MP monster instead of 10MP. Well done for Canon

I also found that the new DPP 3.9 do away with a simple slider of "Sharpness". It now substitutes with a controller using Unsharp Mask having finer controls. Can be a good or bad thing depending on ur competency.

There's another sharpness control at the "RBG" tab, that gives some control as well

After playing with a few shots, the built on flash won't fire proper TTL if u r too near the subject, say about 1.5m & less

Here's a quick look

Test08.jpg

But i can pull back a little to make it look good since its not blown out. Here's the "after pull back"

Test09.jpg

Here's a 100% crop to see how well the Unsharp Mask work

Bird100.jpg

In terms of DR, i feel this new 60D is a little less than 40D. Maybe 0.3EV to 0.5EV?

Here's another quick look

Test13.jpg

100% crop at swan

Swan100.jpg

The swan was shot with the 100mm prime & after sharpening, looks pretty good on the 18MP sensor

Here r a few more for u guys to see how this new cam fair

Test10.jpg

Test12.jpg

Nothing flattering as i juz use the direct flash to fill, not bounced or diffused cos this is to test camera & lens, not competition. :angel:

Test11.jpg

Apple grows on trees, but shaft on tree??? This one must be the master piece of Snow White the litter bug. HAHAHAHA!!!

Overall, i feel the 60D has improved in terms of tonality & features over my 40D. IQ wise... of cos can't compare to 5D2 & the 1D series, but its very acceptable & usable. Only the DR is a little weak but thats to be expected since the pixels r now so much smaller. Nevertheless, Canon did a very good job with this one. Kudos!! :thumbsup:

Here r a few more for u guys to see how this new cam fair

Apple grows on trees, but shaft on tree??? This one must be the master piece of Snow White the litter bug. HAHAHAHA!!!

Overall, i feel the 60D has improved in terms of tonality & features over my 40D. IQ wise... of cos can't compare to 5D2 & the 1D series, but its very acceptable & usable. Only the DR is a little weak but thats to be expected since the pixels r now so much smaller. Nevertheless, Canon did a very good job with this one. Kudos!! :thumbsup:

Hi nightpiper... Nice sample pics you got there. One question. Is the iso at 6400 for 60D more usable than the 40D or was it vice versa? Im interested to get the cam and the 6400 iso pics looks very very usable !!

Btw how is tonailty different from dynamic range? Ev wise?

Last edited:
No hard & fast rules with ISO6400 as long as u find it usable, then its usable lor. :D I hardly use past 1250 on the 40D to be honest, so i dun see myself changing that habit.

Tonality refers to colour rendition. DR refers to the usable range before the signal clips on both shadows & highlights

Keep on shooting :lovegrin:

No hard & fast rules with ISO6400 as long as u find it usable, then its usable lor. :D I hardly use past 1250 on the 40D to be honest, so i dun see myself changing that habit.

Tonality refers to colour rendition. DR refers to the usable range before the signal clips on both shadows & highlights

Keep on shooting :lovegrin:

Thanks for the info. So you do see improvement from your 40D huh.. ok got it.

Hope to see more sample pics =D preferably at high iso too ;p

wah nice pics. nightpiper thks for sharing :thumbsup:

Have you all tried the video recording feature? I can only record the video for up to 10secs before it automatically stopped recording. Any ideas?

I find the ISO 6400 pretty impressive... how about 12800? about 800 pixels on the longer length... :-D

IMO the 12800 is not usable. Its juz a no. for marketing purpose, more of a "use it at ur own risk" kind of thingy.

100% crop 12800, all NR off

12800100.jpg

Have you all tried the video recording feature? I can only record the video for up to 10secs before it automatically stopped recording. Any ideas?

The video is damn good!! :heart: I have no trouble shooting 2+mins continuous. Probably ur settings in the cam. The quality is really good. No jello effect :lovegrin:

@ZuneL
Did something like a testtube with 5 blocks of squares appear on the right side of the LCD while you were recording?
If yes, it means that the 60D can't write data fast enough to your SD card. To solve it, get a faster SD card.

Yes, the freebie SD card given is slow performing and can't be written on fast enough for HD recording. Lower the resolution to 640x480 and it'll be able to keep up.

Alternatively, get a faster card as suggested. :)

tested 60D in vivo today, there are few feature that i like, but there are also some issue that i dont like..
1. the mode button, you have to press the middle button before change from Av to Tv.. it's really annoying..
2. Delete button was changed to left top corner..

Just touch the 60D at Jurong Point Harvey Norman... cannot switch it on as it is not a demo set so can only have a feel of the exterior only...

1. Body definitely a better grip compared to 550D... great for people who already own lens which are on the heavy side or having big hands...
2. All the buttons are pretty easy to press...
3. Regarding the mode button... the middle button is pretty easy to press... just need a bit of time to get used to it...
4. Cannot confirm it is a problem yet... i find the navigation (up down left right thingy) is not so easy to press... have to on the demo set and try to confirm its responsiveness....
5. Well... I think got reports saying the screen is fingerprint free... that is erm... 75% correct? It will still have fingerprint marks but much better resistance compared to my 1000D...