Official Canon EOS 60D User Thread Part I

BTW, saw this in dpreview forum which I find it quite true...

I actually feel sorry for canon some days. Yes I know...a multi biliion $$ company...boohoo. But this is why. When the 7D was released I remember seeing a whole bunch of people get really upset about it. They generally felt that it was too expensive and geared too much towards the action/sports/nature photographers, while the landscape, city, people shooters had been left out. Given that there was also no idea at the time that there would definately be a 60D, they also got upset at having to pay more money to upgrade to a 7D rather than just update to the latest version of the xxD line.

Many of the comments seemed to focus around not needing or wanting to pay for a fancy new AF system, but rather wanting an articulated LCD screen to allow shooting at weird angles, lighter weight for those times when your holding the camera out at arms length to get those unusual angles, cleaner high ISO, and all at the price of the existing xxD line. And at the time I could understand their point since while the 7D was my dream camera I could see how it wouldn't be ideal for these "other guys".

So wind the clock forward and now we have...wait for it...taadaaaaa...a new xxD with guess what, an articulated screen, lighter weight, no new fancy AF system but the tried and true xxD system, all the old xxD controls you know and love (well minus the joystick but early adopters seem to be OK with that) all in a less expensive package. As for high ISO...well we will have to wait and see (yes I know its the same sensor as the 7D but that doesn't rule out the possibility that canon have tweeked it in some ways...only reviews will tell). Pretty much exactly what all those people not happy with the 7D had asked for.

So is all happy in the land of canon. No. We still get endless whining. Now from what I can tell it seems to be mainly from people who want a 7D but at the xxD price point. Now I can understand someone being dissppointed about a camera not having the exact feature list they want and expressing that. But there is a big difference between that and this endless "canon is dead", "canon screwed me", type comments going on and on and on and on. Holy heck...you would think just shot their dog or something.

Look if you're not happy fine. I can understand that. But please move on. If you decide to switch to Nikon fine...good, they make nice stuff as well. I hope you will be happy. Just please do so and move on already. That's the great thing about this field. There are so many good options. If you hate canon so much why are you still here?

Last edited:
I doubt that there will be a unified level of satisfactory regardless of what Canon (or any vendor) produces. There is a constant need for product innovation. In this case, new innovation means gradual release of features to keep customers in wanting to ask for more so that they will end up buying and buying.

BTW, saw this in dpreview forum which I find it quite true...

I doubt that there will be a unified level of satisfactory regardless of what Canon (or any vendor) produces. There is a constant need for product innovation. In this case, new innovation means gradual release of features to keep customers in wanting to ask for more so that they will end up buying and buying.
I agree, I truly think Nikon has the pulse of its customer base locked down in this regard.

Don’t get me wrong, i’m not saying Canon produces crappy cameras. Just saying in terms of listening to and understanding their customers, Nikon one-ups poor Canon.

Yeah I know. The weight is precisely why I did not get the xxD series till now and have been changing around in the xxxD series.

I cannot go to a XXXD cam because I seriously dislike the shallow grip of the cam.... so my target is a XXD or XD...... ;)

Hehe... u try 50D or 7D... even more heavier... wahaha!

It is much more heavier.... but I think 50D and 60D diff is not that much.....

I think 7D is more challenging... and if you mount a 70-200 F2.8..... :bsmilie:

I am looking to getting mine and add battery grip.....

Last edited:
After getting the Canon 18-200mm, holding 550D with it feels unstable and not very secure.....

I think with your 60D, a heavier cam body, deeper grip.... the balance will be much better.... :)

Now, when I mount my 17-55mm on my 400D... It really look funny.... and it is so front heavy and poor balance.....

Last edited:
Does anyone knows of any "purchase with purchase" promotion for the 60d?

580ex ii?

580ex ii?

No, there is none because it is a new model.

The PwP promotion for 580EX mk II is only for EOS 7D.

580ex ii?

The PwP is for the 55-250 lens. U didn't read my earlier post? I bot it for its range & regret. Shud bite the bullet & get the 70-200 F4 instead. :cry: But self consolation wud be the weight :embrass:

The PwP is for the 55-250 lens. U didn't read my earlier post? I bot it for its range & regret. Shud bite the bullet & get the 70-200 F4 instead. :cry: But self consolation wud be the weight :embrass:

Does EOS 60D has PwP promotion?

http://www.canon.com.sg/personal/buying/promotions

This means that Canon website is out-dated or is a special deal by the shop itself.

Does EOS 60D has PwP promotion?

http://www.canon.com.sg/personal/buying/promotions

This means that Canon website is out-dated or is a special deal by the shop itself.

Cud be from the shop itself. My gut feeling is they r trying to clear the 55-250 lens. The promo i saw was quite old. Maybe i kenna con :sweat: Probably selling that price to everyone who walks in. Got it from AP for $390 incl GST, but IMO not even worth $100, after testing the IQ, however build quality i can accept from a cheap lens.

and than i see many complain why plastic body??!!:dunno:

My only complain is they steer away from CF cards. Waste money buying new SD cards :angry:

But smaller & lighter than 40D. Features & IQ also better. Kind of balance out for me :sweat:

My only complain is they steer away from CF cards. Waste money buying new SD cards :angry:

But smaller & lighter than 40D. Features & IQ also better. Kind of balance out for me :sweat:

Hi Nightpiper,

Just wanna ask if the IQ is considerably, as in noticeably better than the 40D? Even in lowlight high iso shots?

Coming from a 550D upgrader, I am SO GLAD they switched to SD, else I might have to end up getting more CF cards...

and than i see many complain why plastic body??!!:dunno:
Not me. I don't really bother if it is magnesium body or titanium body. A body that works well and save weight is the best for me.

Hey, I am not going into any warzones or extreme places to shoot stuff man! Leave those WEATHER SEALED things to the FF series!