Official Canon 550D User Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
how long did you guys first charge your 550d original battery?

hi guys!.. i am planning to join the club real soon and this is my first DSLR.. i was hoping someone could give me advice man..

i am currently using a compact LX3 and i often find that the low light picture's quality is poor(picture looks noisy). to counter the noise issue, i will often try to set the ISO low and in the end, i get blurry pic as my shutter speed drops to ard 1/6 sec..

my current plan is to get a Canon 550D Body + Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 lens.. wad do you tink?

i also have thoughts of getting the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 instead due to its price but it doesn't have IS and i am worried i might get blurry pics again.. what is the recommended shutter speed for a lens without IS?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Remote Wireless Shutter | Wired Shutter Release | ???

Remote Wireless Shutter

- Canon RC-6, Simple and Small Tiny Size that sits into your bag easily. Does not need a receiver, just point it at your IR Receiver, that's all ! Price ? $37

Remote Wireless Shutter 3rd Party ?? Why so of them so expensive ??

- Phottix Cleon II, Can be use both Wired/Wireless, With more features. Price ? 59
http://shuttercentral.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=114

When coming to get a Remote Shutter Release, [cos I intend to shoot Cityscapes], I'd asked myself whether should I need a high end expensive Shutter Release.. But to me, a basic RC-6 is enough..

For me, I drain the battery firs, then I charge it till its full

According to my friend, not necessary to do that for Lithium Batteries...If you're draining the remaining battery after a days shoot then you're wasting charge cycles :bsmilie:

cuz the battery lifetime in charge cycles.. if you use half, then charge to full, use half, then charge to full...you essentially just used 1 charge cycle...half+half XD.

Unless you have plenty to batteries to bring outfield at half battery or less...haha.

Remote Wireless Shutter

- Canon RC-6, Simple and Small Tiny Size that sits into your bag easily. Does not need a receiver, just point it at your IR Receiver, that's all ! Price ? $37

- Phottix Cleon II, Can be use both Wired/Wireless, With more features. Price ? 59

When coming to get a Remote Shutter Release, [cos I intend to shoot Cityscapes], I'd asked myself whether should I need a high end expensive Shutter Release.. But to me, a basic RC-6 is enough..

Hmm. The RC-6 how's the..."sending power"? Do you find it triggering easily? Something lacking on the RC-6 is the 2-sec delay shot which is good when you enable mirror-lock..
something a 6-8dollar 3rd party can do !! $37 is an overpriced infra red piece, even if slightly more reliable :lovegrin:

According to my friend, not necessary to do that for Lithium Batteries...If you're draining the remaining battery after a days shoot then you're wasting charge cycles :bsmilie:

cuz the battery lifetime in charge cycles.. if you use half, then charge to full, use half, then charge to full...you essentially just used 1 charge cycle...half+half XD.

Unless you have plenty to batteries to bring outfield at half battery or less...haha.

Hmm. The RC-6 how's the..."sending power"? Do you find it triggering easily? Something lacking on the RC-6 is the 2-sec delay shot which is good when you enable mirror-lock..
something a 6-8dollar 3rd party can do !! $37 is an overpriced infra red piece, even if slightly more reliable :lovegrin:

There's a SWITCH at the back of the RC-6. Whether you wanna 2 sec timer first or Straight away shutter.

For me, I'd shoot usually Landscapes, and I only need a shutter release that's all.. nothing else..

Remote Wireless Shutter

The phottix one is what my friend has. That's my other alternative, but I'm still leaning towards getting the RC 6.

HELP!!!!!!!!

Bro.... Im super new to this digital photography thingy. Now a Question with RAW.... i understand the file extention is .CR as stated in the Manual. Now.. I tried shooting RAW + L. What came out in my computer is 2 jpeg files in this format for example.. IMG_001.jpg and IMG_001(1).jpg. I check this in the bundled software "Digital Photo Professional" which clearly states it can process RAW files. Also checked the file type on my cam.... it says its RAW... Even shot some pics using RAW only. Please help me! Thanks in advance!

i jus got back from my trip n my pictures are pretty awful :cry:..... tink i have to attend the basic course offered by canon at $250 ... anybody attending or attended this class? was it helpful?

i jus got back from my trip n my pictures are pretty awful :cry:..... tink i have to attend the basic course offered by canon at $250 ... anybody attending or attended this class? was it helpful?

please share, let us take a look..

Ms colour selling at $1130 with gst 2 weeks ago.What is the latest price now?

There's a SWITCH at the back of the RC-6. Whether you wanna 2 sec timer first or Straight away shutter.

For me, I'd shoot usually Landscapes, and I only need a shutter release that's all.. nothing else..

I see...you don't use mirror-lock?

Thanks for the heads-up on the switch thing...haha.

I see...you don't use mirror-lock?

Thanks for the heads-up on the switch thing...haha.

Nope.

Usually when I shoot Landscapes/City-Scapes, I set my RC-6 to the neutral mode, not the 2 sec timer. Point it to the IR Receiver and press. It automatically AutoFocus for you and snap..

for those using kitII lens, what filter and lens hood are you using? or anyone can rec? thanks :D

My friend is attending that at the moment. Seems to be useful for him. He's sharing the materials with me haha!
HELP!!!!!!!!

Bro.... Im super new to this digital photography thingy. Now a Question with RAW.... i understand the file extention is .CR as stated in the Manual. Now.. I tried shooting RAW + L. What came out in my computer is 2 jpeg files in this format for example.. IMG_001.jpg and IMG_001(1).jpg. I check this in the bundled software "Digital Photo Professional" which clearly states it can process RAW files. Also checked the file type on my cam.... it says its RAW... Even shot some pics using RAW only. Please help me! Thanks in advance!
Hmm when I shoot in RAW+Jpeg, I get two files like IMG_001.CR2 and IMG_001.Jpeg. I have never encountered what you are encountering. Did you format your SD card first before taking shots?

I just bought my dry cabinet today. May I know if it's ok to place my dry cab in the HDB bomb shelter? :)

I just join the 550D club. Any users have any issues or compliments about this camera. Just tried a few shots.....pics look very good.

hi guys!.. i am planning to join the club real soon and this is my first DSLR.. i was hoping someone could give me advice man..

i am currently using a compact LX3 and i often find that the low light picture's quality is poor(picture looks noisy). to counter the noise issue, i will often try to set the ISO low and in the end, i get blurry pic as my shutter speed drops to ard 1/6 sec..

my current plan is to get a Canon 550D Body + Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 lens.. wad do you tink?

i also have thoughts of getting the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 instead due to its price but it doesn't have IS and i am worried i might get blurry pics again.. what is the recommended shutter speed for a lens without IS?

Thanks!

minimum shutter speed for a lens without IS is 1/focal length (for still objects). So if you're using EF 50mm, then minimum shutter speed is 1/50 sec. Above 1/50 you'll need a tripod.

Status
Not open for further replies.