Official Canon 550D User Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just join the 550D club. Any users have any issues or compliments about this camera. Just tried a few shots.....pics look very good.

welcome to CS :D.. only 1 complaint, 550D + external flash = inbalance.. need battery grip..

for those using kitII lens, what filter and lens hood are you using? or anyone can rec? thanks :D

I'm using the Kit II 18-135 lens.

I'll use

FILTER - Hoya HMC UV 67mm Filter

LENS HOOD - EW-73B [3rd Party bought from Mass Sales, cost me $13, Original is $49 !]

Hey Everyone! Just Join The Forum
Always Been In Love With DSLR But No Money To Get One
Recently Lady Luck Been Smiling On Me =)
So Got A Canon 550D Kit II ( 18-135Mm ) + Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR LD Aspherical (IF )
Equipped With A Hoya UV Filter + Crumpler Industrial Disgrace With A Crumple 5 Million Dollar Canon Edition Bag .
Just Got My Digi-Cabi DB-036 Today! =)

So Got A Canon 550D Kit II ( 18-135Mm ) + Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR LD Aspherical (IF )
Equipped With A Hoya UV Filter + Crumpler Industrial Disgrace With A Crumple 5 Million Dollar Canon Edition Bag .
Hey Welcome! ;)

Where and how much you got your Tamron?

Thought the Canon Crumpler promo over liao leh. Or you bought it from Canon Service Centre?

Nope.

Usually when I shoot Landscapes/City-Scapes, I set my RC-6 to the neutral mode, not the 2 sec timer. Point it to the IR Receiver and press. It automatically AutoFocus for you and snap..

I see...well if you are absolutely picky on tack sharp photos is better do mirror-lock imo. And I typically turn off auto-focus when doing such shoots, especially in difficult to track situations you might get a wrong focus even after composition. Also to boot...use hyperfocal distance..still learning to put this one into practice lol - it's so convenient to take the shortcut and set to infinity :bigeyes:

Let us know how long the RC-6 battery last :) maybe the effective range too? In ur own experience :bsmilie:

minimum shutter speed for a lens without IS is 1/focal length (for still objects). So if you're using EF 50mm, then minimum shutter speed is 1/50 sec. Above 1/50 you'll need a tripod.

Above 1/50, isn't it faster shutter? Why need tripod? Or you meant slower shutter?

Welcome to the club! :D

I see...well if you are absolutely picky on tack sharp photos is better do mirror-lock imo. And I typically turn off auto-focus when doing such shoots, especially in difficult to track situations you might get a wrong focus even after composition. Also to boot...use hyperfocal distance..still learning to put this one into practice lol - it's so convenient to take the shortcut and set to infinity :bigeyes:

Let us know how long the RC-6 battery last :) maybe the effective range too? In ur own experience :bsmilie:

mirror-lock? how to do that?

you off auto-focus and put to manual focus? but do you set the focusing point? or you let it detect the focusing points itself?

Welcome to the club! :D

mirror-lock? how to do that?

you off auto-focus and put to manual focus? but do you set the focusing point? or you let it detect the focusing points itself?

Go to functions in the menu and enable mirror lock. Must remember cannot use normal mode to shoot else you can't get anything...instead use the IR...or set it to 2 second delay. Google mirror-lock for more info :)

Manual focus..yes. Manual Focus, nvr set focusing point, just leave at centre point. I'm finding it really difficult to put hyperfocussing into practice...zzz. Need to intentionally try and memorize when I'm not rushed for time..else I need a shifu~~~

is there anyone using aputure combo ? please share your experience ...

Last Saturday, I bought an Aputure combo (InfraRed + cable) in artworkfoto for my 550d, it's only 20$. The good thing is there is 1s and 5s delay you can set for IR mode, of course you can use it for shutter release with the cable. At least it didn't fork out my wallet. Not slim as RC-6, but it is still okay for me :)

Just wondering what u get when you bot 550D? I got creamed on memory card, only 8G micro-SD card that could not take video recording. Plus canon camera bag and the usual canon accessories like battery, charger, straps. Wonder if anyone gets mini-HDMI to HDMI cable with the package?

1.4 is faster than 1.8 by 1/3 stop only. 1.8 should serve its purpose good enough.

Hi i juz bought a 550D too :D its a week old... looking for some good lenses :p now have kit lens with 50mm f1.8 and a freakin old 38-76mm f4-5.6 that i pulled from my dad's eos 888 film camera xD surprisingly it still works!

Just wondering what u get when you bot 550D? I got creamed on memory card, only 8G micro-SD card that could not take video recording. Plus canon camera bag and the usual canon accessories like battery, charger, straps. Wonder if anyone gets mini-HDMI to HDMI cable with the package?

same package as you, why did u get 8GB micro-SD card ? I got SD-Card instead of micro-SD with adapter. The brand is Pendrive, I got it from Canon in Harbourfront. I didn't get the mini-HDMI cable.

same i bought mine from funan though.. song bro gave extra 1pc 8gb and a filter

Hey Welcome! ;)

Where and how much you got your Tamron?

Thought the Canon Crumpler promo over liao leh. Or you bought it from Canon Service Centre?

I Got It From Crumpler @ Raffles Place =) But I Think I Got The Last Pcs Got The Tamron For $500 =)

I Got It From Crumpler @ Raffles Place =) But I Think I Got The Last Pcs Got The Tamron For $500 =)

ah I see. Thanks for the info!

Hope to see some shots taken with your Tamron soon! :)

good price for Tamron 17-50MM f2.8.. cheaper than Canon 17-55MM f2.8

Last edited:
voxies : can your nissin di622 set to master/ slave?

yes can..

master = put the flash in your camera and became your master flash
slave = unplug the flash, when your camera fires pop up flash, the Nissin also fire another flash..

correct me if i am wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.