memory cards for trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can advise on type of HDD storage?i dont want to bring a notebook there.
thanks

advice

1. think of what you will bring around outside of hotel without easy access to return to hotel
- would you mind bringing a palm size portable that is about 2cm thick and 200-400g heavy?
- if you do mind that weight, ensure the SD/CF size is more than enough for you to shoot 1 day worth. leave the portable drive at the hotel and transfer to the portable drive every nite so that you have fresh new cards the next day.
- if you dun mind the weight and always bring around, then dun need to invest too much into the cards. get just 2 and have a empty card at all times. once a card is full, slot in the empty new card in (for example you are in the midst of action), and then shortly do the transfer on the run halfway thru the using of the 2nd card. but do remember that portable storage have limited power on the run, so it is not meant to be on at all times and this is a shortcoming to all portable storage.

2. portable storage comes in two types

a) comes with a viewer that shows you the picture
- gd only if the viewer is larger than your LCD on the camera body, if not serves not much purpose. a decent size means an epson and epson only. look into my signature to read more information.
- consumes electricity
- expensive
- have to check compatibility of your raw format if you shoot raw
- may or may not serve with a zoom in function

b) comes with only a LCD that shows you the data in transfer
- limited information
- saves electritcity
- much much cheaper
- no issue with raw format
- just look at the viewer on the camera body.

and portable HDD storage comes in 2 retail forms
- those that is sold as a HDD+casing (more expensive and no choice of HDD - may get lousy ones)
- those that is sold as casing and you get your own HDD, esp gd if you already have a HDD.

baseline recommendation,
1. go salvage any 2.5" laptop-type HDD hanging around your house.
2. get a LCD-type casing and fit in
3. if got money to splurge, buy a few CF/SD and keep them in a small hard-plastic casing. and if got money to splurge plus you shoot a lot, get an epson with a picture viewer and a large size 2.5" HDD from 60-120GB.

I think they should consider making them soon.... Gucci, Prada, LV... etc..
Maybe have leather and fur version..

actually there are branded stuff for camera bags. billingham and fogg are real expensive. nikon japan also have some specially made camera bags meant for ladies using small DSLR or bridge/PNS. national geographic also have bags made from barbour.

and your point being?:sweatsm:
just for the fun of pissing people off or what?:dunno::bsmilie: :bsmilie:
:think:

by the way, when i last mentioned, i have a portable to let go.

digimate II+ casing
- supporting up to a 40GB. it does not support my 60GB HDD.
- warranty 1 year expired on 2006-08-11
- one edge got a loose hole that does not hold the screw but it doesn't affect the ability of holding case tight or the ease of opening/closing it
- selling $30

20GB fujitsu HDD
- fujitsu 20GB ATA6 2head/4200rpm MHT2020AT
- bought brand new from a forumer on 2006-04-13 (i open from sealed cover) but grey set, so no invoice
- product prints made in thailand 2004 May.
- selling $60; selling only if sold together with the casing.

i dun intend to put it on B&S cos going to fly off to laos this friday already and won't be back till november. if you just wanted to have an ease of mind and wanted to get something cheap, catch me before friday at sms 91075332. then i fit in your HDD and show you how to use it, or you can get the whole thing with the HDD. i work in SGH and can meet in town before/after work.

if you are cosmetically concerned, or wanted one with a viewer, or wanted a larger HDD, or wanted something new, consider either epson with a viewer, or consider archos, vosonic or compactdrive (but i find compactdrive too big and bulky though). avoid Xs drive.

i have 2 laptops but it's just that i dont want the additional weight.cos the weight of a laptop easily equals my manfrotto 190B.DUH!!!!:confused:

i have 2 x 2GB CF cards now.intend to shoot jpeg large throughout.

btw, will there be a difference(in resolution) if i shoot jpeg medium and jpeg large if i print 8R size?

i wanted to get the epson p4500.but when i called cathay yesterday, they told me they only carry p2000 which is old model and i read reviews that the LCD screen is very dim.:dunno:

the other brand i found here in CS is the vosonic which is....made in taiwan?:dunno:
sounds like chiong viewsonic though...:bsmilie:

decisions decisions decisions...

i'll consider your offer though.thanks!:lovegrin:

actually there are branded stuff for camera bags. billingham and fogg are real expensive. nikon japan also have some specially made camera bags meant for ladies using small DSLR or bridge/PNS. national geographic also have bags made from barbour.

i have a billingham hadley and 335.

last check the price 3 weeks ago and both bags adds to about 800.

i could have sworn i bought them much cheaper about 7 years ago.:dunno:

i like the NG bags but i'm not a NG photographer.so...a bit su seh to carry it.:bsmilie: :dunno: :(

cough cough :)

investments decisions investments decisions

since you are the most 'eng' one:bsmilie: ,
can please help ans my query?

btw, will there be a difference(in resolution) if i shoot jpeg medium and jpeg large if i print 8R size?

the jpeg small in d200, is it good enough for 8r prints?

since you are the most 'eng' one:bsmilie: ,
can please help ans my query?

the jpeg small in d200, is it good enough for 8r prints?

what is the resolution of the JPEG Med and Large for your D200

I am poor only have D70 :(

what is the resolution of the JPEG Med and Large for your D200

I am poor only have D70 :(

• 3872 x 2592 [L]
• 2896 x 1944 [M]
• 1936 x 1296

do i really need to shoot at jpeg large?

pls advise :D

I'm no Nikon man, but according to Ken Rockwell, there isn't an appreciable difference between shooting fine and basic. Here's the article, should you wish to take a look. He used the same D200 and 18-200 you use for his tests.

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d200/quality-settings.htm

Anyhow, I think you've got enough storage. Typically, for holidays, I bring about 1-2GB of storage and shoot RAWs all the way on a 8MP camera. I used to use about 3-5 rolls of film per holiday so I don't think that's a big change for me in terms of shooting habits. If I come back with about 10 winners that's a great holiday, but more often I come back with <5 good shots and about 70 snapshots.

If you think about it, you're gonna junk 90% of those shots anyway when you get back, why bother keeping them on your card while you're there? It's ok to be trigger happy, but if the shot doesn't cut it on the spot when you review the image, direct your finger to the delete button and it wouldn't have taken up any space at all.

IF under the rare circumstance you can still run out of space, review the shots again and increase the "minimum standard", cutting all the shots that didn't make it for the minimum standard. Naturally, keep those memory shots of your family/friends, even if they stink. Personally I limit these "memory" shots to 1 per place(I would pick the best and junk the rest), or I let someone else take care of them.

Nevertheless, this is all my personal philosophy, because I totally cannot take processing thousands of photos after I come back. I figured if I was able to shoot that many great shots in a week, I'd be a world famous photographer by now. If you use a world-class bar, I typically produce 0-1 great shots per holiday.

You're gonna present your best anyway. Who wants to see the rest?

for D200, if you shoot large jpg at basic, print S8R shouldn't be any problem, but you should get all the things at bullseye, eg, white balance, exposure.
cos at basic setting, the compression is the highest, throw away lots of info, so the file size is smallest, there is no rooms for any further massive editing.

btw, get a portable storage device lar, if you worried about dropping it, why don't worried about dropping the camera and lens?

If you worry about charging it, than the batteries of camera and flash don't need to charge meh?

20~40GB storage, shoot all in RAW also can.

if you keep thinking of all these things, u wouldn't be able to enjoy your trip... just relax.:)

i have 2 laptops but it's just that i dont want the additional weight.cos the weight of a laptop easily equals my manfrotto 190B.DUH!!!!:confused:

i have 2 x 2GB CF cards now.intend to shoot jpeg large throughout.

i wanted to get the epson p4500.but when i called cathay yesterday, they told me they only carry p2000 which is old model and i read reviews that the LCD screen is very dim.:dunno:

the other brand i found here in CS is the vosonic which is....made in taiwan?:dunno:
sounds like chiong viewsonic though...:bsmilie:

decisions decisions decisions...

i'll consider your offer though.thanks!:lovegrin:

i meant the hdd in your laptop should be 2.5" which you can take out to use as portable storage. but asking you to bring yours though i'm bringing mine.

yup, vosonic is designed by taiwan, whether made in taiwan or in the country opposite, that i'm not sure.

for D200, if you shoot large jpg at basic, print S8R shouldn't be any problem, but you should get all the things at bullseye, eg, white balance, exposure.
cos at basic setting, the compression is the highest, throw away lots of info, so the file size is smallest, there is no rooms for any further massive editing.

btw, get a portable storage device lar, if you worried about dropping it, why don't worried about dropping the camera and lens?

If you worry about charging it, than the batteries of camera and flash don't need to charge meh?

20~40GB storage, shoot all in RAW also can.

i want to shoot jpeg fine large lei.

just went vivo city to look for storage devices.
saw zen vision w at 649.but dunno can support raw or not.
i dont worry about dropping it for sure, neither do i worry about charging it lei.where u get the idea from?:bsmilie:

i only worry underutilisation and worry my purse got hole after buying it.:bsmilie:

going to japan soon.
can advice what reso u guys usually shoot at for travelling?
i use jpeg fine large file.is it overkill if i dont print them?
dun tell me shoot raw pls.i havent reach the stage on how to process the pics digitally.

i only have a 2GB mem card.for 8 days trips, you guys think it's enough?

and if i already have 18-200, will getting a 12-24 nikon makes any difference?is the distortion bad at 12-15mm?cant justify spending 1.6k for this baby though i very gian.:heart: :heart:

any advice for travel photos?big aperture values?

medium large file should be good enough.I brought 4pcs og 1gb for 8days
China trip was more than enough......changing lens outdoor is not recommended.
brought along one lens 18-200vr.

Actually I got comments on this...
You are going to Japan... not some ULU place in the mountains to meditate right?

Just bring your current gear along. If close to insufficient storage, just get yourself more CFs... this way, no worries about HDD become white elephant, no issue about thermal or dynamic shock.

Actually I got comments on this...
You are going to Japan... not some ULU place in the mountains to meditate right?

Just bring your current gear along. If close to insufficient storage, just get yourself more CFs... this way, no worries about HDD become white elephant, no issue about thermal or dynamic shock.

i have future plans to go ulu places too.i'm quite a travel queen:bsmilie:
so the way to go is still more CF cards lah!

saw the p5000 at shashinki.very very tempting!OMG!:bigeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.