Leica M10 to be Announced?

Here's a video of the M10... John Dooley demonstrates The Leica M on Vimeo

No love there - with the vf, its an unsightly deviation away from the purist camera.

As for the M-E with its pricing of ~ €4,800, current M9 / M9P owners certainly won't be too glad! :faint:

Apparently the new M-E will be launched by the end of this month. Really interesting.

Apparently the new M-E will be launched by the end of this month. Really interesting.

If its indeed just the same old M9 engine repacked within a new M-E shell, then wouldn't it inherit all the legacy issues associated with the M9? :faint:

If its indeed just the same old M9 engine repacked within a new M-E shell, then wouldn't it inherit all the legacy issues associated with the M9? :faint:

it seems like it's just a repackaged M9 to me

But no frameline lever leh...

so technically speaking not a 100% re package.

Last edited:
it seems like it's just a repackaged M9 to me

I noticed the new M battery is different from the M9 and ME battery:

M power supply - Li-ion battery (included), 7.4V, 1800 mAh

M9 power supply - Lithium ion battery, nominal voltage 3.7 V, capacity 1900 mAh.

Is this bad or good?

FARI

FBA said:

M9 power supply - Lithium ion battery, nominal voltage 3.7 V, capacity 1900 mAh.

Is this bad or good?

FARI

I'll say it's good as the announcement stated it provide a much better battery life.

M-E = M9 with no frame line lever and no USB port. Everything else should be the same.

I am really glad they did this:

1. It sets an absolute minimum for the M9/M9-P price. No free fall.

2. By releasing a "new" camera that is basically a M9/M9-P, existing users will be guaranteed parts for an additional 3 years on top of what Leica originally promised.

3. By lowering the barrier of entry to allow more access to full frame digital rangefinders.

I am also very happy that for the new M (M10 equivalent) they did not go with Sony but with a Belgium sensor maker. This should allow Leica to maintain some distinct differences in IQ.

Is this bad or good?

FARI

I think battery specs don't mean anything unless you pair it with the camera. In this case a M9 battery won't work with the new M and the new M battery won't work with the M9 so there is no comparison.

Last edited:
zixaw said:
I think battery specs don't mean anything unless you pair it with the camera. In this case a M9 battery won't work with the new M and the new M battery won't work with the M9 so there is no comparison.

I suppose the current drain will be higher with the live view and focusing function. You might get longer life if u shoot the M like a M9, but shooting with live view or video mode maybe shorter

Curious, how does the sensor on the M9 compare with that on an Epson where noise is concerned?

Might be a good time to buy off a few batteries for those who are still using the M9.

Might be a good time to buy off a few batteries for those who are still using the M9.

I think the time to start buying is when they are about to discontinue the M-E which should be at least 2 years from now.

I think the time to start buying is when they are about to discontinue the M-E which should be at least 2 years from now.

THe batteries are different? According to the spec sheet, one is 1860mAH and the other is 1900mAH. Same voltage though.

Last edited:

batteries? I'm expecting prices of used M9s to drop to the USD3.5k mark, then I'm going to grab a backup :)

The new M looks pretty damn good, but I'm quite happy with my M9P, though I would love to have Live View. Not sure how the CMOS sensor would render images compared to to a CCD, but there are some things to like about the new M, just that it's crazy to pay that much for a couple of extra features when there are tons of photographers out there (e.g. Thorsten) who are producing stunning work with the M9

Expecting M9 price is dropping further

I think the M is interesting and is Leica's effort to stay "relevant". Its like amalgamating the M and R into one body. Don't care about movies though. I might just get one of these.

Expecting M9 price is dropping further

May or may not. Some people might like the frameline selector which was removed, or for other emotional reasons.

High ISO, focus peaking, use of R lenses ... now the M10 is more worth the money we pay for!

THe batteries are different? According to the spec sheet, one is 1860mAH and the other is 1900mAH. Same voltage though.

M9/P/M-E batteries are the same I think.

Hmm...M E is M9 repackage...so image quality is the same? No high ISO image improvement?

As for the new M...with CMOS sensor...has anyone seen the image from this camera to share?