Jumping ship to Canon

Status
Not open for further replies.
To TS: dont jump for the sake of having some1 else loaning lenses to you. This may change any time in the future and you'll be stuck/lost the initial investment on sony gear. Sony's system is pretty cool. Sensor stabilisation. You'll probably save some cost in terms of buying lenses that are optically stabilized. Also since photography goes a long way by then you probably have more money than what you have now.

You could also try to make friends and loan equipment off sony users. The benefit of loaning equipment is temporary in the end you still need to get your own gear for extended use.

so what makes C & N popular if they're not the best? it will always be C vs N, no one can change and do any thing about that...

i dont think C & N will make their own EVIL (at least in a few years to come) coz they dont have to if they're products are still hot... and havnt you noticed whose diverting out from dslr? they are those playing catchup brands who cant beat C & N on dslr segment... (try mounting 70-200 2.8 on NEX-5 :sweat:)

The products are still hot because information on the ILC alternatives is still vague and many people simply do not know or understand. Yet ILC cameras are the most significant thing to happen in the last decade at least. A completely new genre of camera that combines the large sized sensors of a DSLR into a smaller body.

How do they do it? By simply removing the mirror/prism box and replacing it with a) nothing (using the screen to view and compose) or b) an electronic viewfinder. Focus is done through contrast detect (which is fast and getting faster with new bodies). EVFs are also superior to regular Optical VF in that they show more information, and also as technology improves they will also get faster.

The lens selection available is good and improving dramatically through the use of adapters. IMO, ILC cameras are the natural progression of technology and removal of redundant mechanical components. Cameras that are truly digital that are small, compact and have full DSLR capability.

You can still retain your old DSLRs and film camera to show off or to establish a professional reputation, but I think most people just want to take good photos.

Last edited:
Really can't stop :bsmilie: at some of the replies.. Mirrorless systems did make camera body smaller and lighter.. but good and fast zoom lens you still need bigger lenses elements.. unless they come out all primes..Played with a friend's new NEX5.. nice IQ quality, superb swipe wide angle image.. other then that just a big lens with an un-balanced, un-ergonomic body with no build in flash and hotshoe.

As to whether to change system or not.. go with yr heart.. After trying the different brands you will know their individual strengths and weaknesses.;)

The products are still hot because information on the ILC alternatives is still vague and many people simply do not know or understand. Yet ILC cameras are the most significant thing to happen in the last decade at least. A completely new genre of camera that combines the large sized sensors of a DSLR into a smaller body.

How do they do it? By simply removing the mirror/prism box and replacing it with a) nothing (using the screen to view and compose) or b) an electronic viewfinder. Focus is done through contrast detect (which is fast and getting faster with new bodies). EVFs are also superior to regular Optical VF in that they show more information, and also as technology improves they will also get faster.

The lens selection available is good and improving dramatically through the use of adapters. IMO, ILC cameras are the natural progression of technology and removal of redundant mechanical components. Cameras that are truly digital that are small, compact and have full DSLR capability.

You can still retain your old DSLRs and film camera to show off or to establish a professional reputation, but I think most people just want to take good photos.
i have nothing against EVILs, its a nice technology & innovation really...

but my point is, why would you dig deep into something with no clear vision?..

take a look at Olympus E-Volt, after battling with C & N on dslr segment & with promising products, where are they now?, Micro four-thirds (EVIL)?

and how about Samsung with their GX22 (same dna as Pentax K20D), they elso evolved to NX10, also an EVIL...

so i wont be surprised if alpha dslr becomes extinct coz its already facing its extinction...

How do they do it? By simply removing the mirror/prism box and replacing it with a) nothing (using the screen to view and compose) or b) an electronic viewfinder.

a) nothing (using the screen to view and compose) or b) an electronic viewfinder.
-I'm old fashion. I trust my eyes over the electronic screen which might not give the same colour/ might lack when I swing & aim here and there :bsmilie:

a) nothing (using the screen to view and compose) or b) an electronic viewfinder.
-I'm old fashion. I trust my eyes over the electronic screen which might not give the same colour/ might lack when I swing & aim here and there :bsmilie:

Then you should like the EVF more because it always presents a 100% field of view and shows you how the photo will be taken with white balance etc all done for you straight up.

Also, the EVFs on the Panasonic G2, GH1 etc and Samsung NX are very smooth and show very little lag.

Reguarding my A230, before i wanted to move over to canon, i wanted to upgrade a body, mainly because

1: Plastic feel/light
2: No available battery grip to make it more sturdy
3 Uncomfortable handgrip/too small
4: ISO 800 is already noisy
5: Slowcontinuous shooting
6: No live view ( I shoot macro often and this is really good to have)

But, when i realised that i have another option, which is to change system. I immediately remembered that my friend tried to bring me over to canon.

My friend uses 500D & his father uses 1DsMkIII

If you compare your A230 to a Canon 550D of course there will be a lot of difference. It's like comparing a Chery QQ to a Mazda 2. Such a difference in price of course there will be a difference in quality.

Take a look at the Sony A500/550 which should be able to address the things which you do not like on your A230.

Excuse me... but I have yet to see a Full-Frame EVIL camera even suggested in any manufacturer's roadmap. Until I see one, DSLR will not die or be outdated.

Plus, I would love to see how your NX10 do a full day actual day wedding shoot. Would love to see how many batteries you have to run through the entire day, with the sensor and EVF running non stop. ;) I dare not even think how you would handle dual bodies, with different lenses attached, with the EVF and sensor turned on all the time... :eek:

Last edited:
i have nothing against EVILs, its a nice technology & innovation really...

but my point is, why would you dig deep into something with no clear vision?..

take a look at Olympus E-Volt, after battling with C & N on dslr segment & with promising products, where are they now?, Micro four-thirds (EVIL)?

and how about Samsung with their GX22 (same dna as Pentax K20D), they elso evolved to NX10, also an EVIL...

so i wont be surprised if alpha dslr becomes extinct coz its already facing its extinction...

I do not agree when you say EVILs have no vision. Most EVIL manufacturers seem to have lenses announced and bodies on the way. Even Samsung have 5 new lenses announced and to be released before the end of this year. I look forward to seeing what the Schneider collaborated lenses can do. I am frankly astonished at the capability of the 30mm/F2 kit with the NX10.

IMO, Olympus did well to get this far, even with noisier 4/3rd sensors. Samsung's GX20 (not 22) was basically a re-branded Pentax camera. The NX is purely Samsung though, which should mean more commitment.

Excuse me... but I have yet to see a Full-Frame EVIL camera even suggested in any manufacturer's roadmap. Until I see one, DSLR will not die or be outdated.

Plus, I would love to see how your NX10 do a full day actual day wedding shoot. Would love to see how many batteries you have to run through the entire day, with the sensor and EVF running non stop. ;) I dare not even think how you would handle dual bodies, with different lenses attached, with the EVF and sensor turned on all the time... :eek:

Calm down...relax.

Full frame cameras are only a small % of the market, and anyway it's just a matter of time before even FF cameras ditch the penta-prism and go with EVFs as part of camera technology evolution. The bodies will be smaller than existing FFs but larger than APS-C EVILs obviously.

I get 400 shots with moderate flash use. All shooting is done with EVF or live screen obviously. That's good enough for me, and probably for most people out there.

But if I were a wedding photographer I would at least buy FF because dynamic range is paramount (white bride/black groom - yikes), and there is no EVIL with FF right now (as I mentioned before). But in a few years there will be I think.

Last edited:
... and there is no EVIL with FF right now (as I mentioned before). But in a few years there will be I think.

Let me show you one: 5D Mk II with mirror removed; ngam-ngam fit the "EVIL" requirements. :bsmilie::bsmilie:
20100406_797320bef3078d388dc3PFsvvqaluCjo.jpg

20100406_fecc85872bc6d76c7b95cedtc1mlcK14.jpg

full story after the link: http://www.dchome.net/viewthread.php?tid=854905&extra=&page=1

just pulling your leg.

Calm down...relax.

Full frame cameras are only a small % of the market, and anyway it's just a matter of time before even FF cameras ditch the penta-prism and go with EVFs as part of camera technology evolution. The bodies will be smaller than existing FFs but larger than APS-C EVILs obviously.

I get 400 shots with moderate flash use. All shooting is done with EVF or live screen obviously. That's good enough for me, and probably for most people out there.

But if I were a wedding photographer I would at least buy FF because dynamic range is paramount (white bride/black groom - yikes), and there is no EVIL with FF right now (as I mentioned before). But in a few years there will be I think.

I am calm, and relaxed. Serious. Not fired up or anything since this discussion will not affect my life in any way.

I can get almost 1000 shots per charge per battery on my DSLR. Double that with battery grip with another similar battery. If I use the Nikon EN-EL4a battery in the grip, I get an obscene number of shots per charge. This is normal shooting of course. If I do not do image review, and turn off VR, I can easily exceed 1000 shots per charge per battery.

That, is something an EVIL camera cannot do at this point. And the more you look through the EVF (or LCD), the less shots you will get per charge. Not only is the camera powering the EVF all the time, it is also powering the sensor, the image processors and a whole bunch of electronics. This makes EVIL cameras severely crippled for many applications, including weddings.

Granted, I do not think EVIL cameras suck eggs. In fact I think they are wonderful. But to say EVIL is the way of the future, and DSLRs are already outdated NOW, is just too much of a stretch into science fiction (or fanboyism).

Last edited:
Hey guys, i'm in a difficult position right now.

I am now using a Sony A230 + kit lens

Should i move to canon before i start to invest more into Sony?

I'm a student so i have very low budgets to buy lens, on the other hand, my good friend has an array of lens since both him and his father uses canon, they both rely on photography for a living.

He has been persuading me to move to canon,he can lend me lens when i need it, but now, should i jump ship to canon?

Hope you bros can voice in your views.

JUMP to C my bro... Welcome to the world of L glass :bsmilie:

He has been persuading me to move to canon,he can lend me lens when i need it, but now, should i jump ship to canon?

Are you sure? talking is cheap...actual lending of L lenses might cost a few K if mishandle...:bsmilie:

@ daredevil

You don't understand. I only mean that the technology of the DSLR is outdated with the advent of live-view sensors. Why would you want to continue with the bulk and weight of the mirror/prism box if they are not necessary - especially if EVFs are better for composition and show more info, and contrast detect AF is more consistent than phase detect with any lens.

Arguing about batt life, grip etc is redundant when you are comparing cameras of different types and genres. I am very pleased though that I can get 400 shots in full live view, which a Canikon DSLR cannot do at the moment (disappointing). The battery life of pro level cameras will indeed be suited for that application, when it does come eventually.

Last edited:
so what makes C & N popular if they're not the best? it will always be C vs N, no one can change and do any thing about that...

Cos there are alot of people who thinks that getting equipment from the 2 most reknown brands will make them the best photographers too ? ;)

It is always going to be C vs N ? how did other Brands increased their market share over the years then ? The world is round , the market is fickle . The DSLR market customer profiling is changing as well. At the end of the day , whoever does best in product segmentisation , quality and market value wins.

As for peeps like me , which brand is the best doesnt really bother me , I just get gears and equipments that makes economic sense and value to me, usually those values are quite private and unique. What others can see is my output and pictures I take.

@ daredevil

You don't understand. I only mean that the technology of the DSLR is outdated with the advent of live-view sensors. Why would you want to continue with the bulk and weight of the mirror/prism box if they are not necessary - especially if EVFs are better for composition and show more info, and contrast detect AF is more consistent than phase detect with any lens.

Arguing about batt life, grip etc is redundant when you are comparing cameras of different types and genres. I am very pleased though that I can get 400 shots in full live view, which a Canikon DSLR cannot do at the moment (disappointing). The battery life of pro level cameras will indeed be suited for that application, when it does come eventually.

Well, I am just saying the technology is not yet outdated at this moment that's all.

I mean, going by your logic, we can all say car engine technology is already outdated too, since alternative non-fossil fuel engines/motors are already available. But yet they are still here, because the new technology is still not mature and not viable yet for all applications...

:dunno: I don't know man. That line of reasoning is just bull to me.

All I am saying is, again in straightforward terms: They are still here. They are not outdated yet. They are still being used. There are still many applications the 'new' technology cannot cover.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.