Jumping ship to Canon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used my friend's 500D and after using my A230, i admit, felt abit disgusted by the plastic feel.
But anyway, that isn't the main problem.

A230 is the cheapest entry level in Sony DSLR line. Of cos its plasticky. If u wan a magnesium alloy body, u should buy the A700. 2nd hand cost $700-800 only. Or better yet just buy A850. Full frame DSLR for just $2.7k (brand new)!

Anyway regarding borrowing of lenses, although ur friend said he is willing to lend u lenses, it doesnt mean he will lend u all his lenses. What lens are he lending u? Is he gonna borrow u his expensive L lenses which cost thousands? Or just those sub $100 lenses like the 50mm prime?

My gf has Sony alpha body as well. She borrows lens from me, and I never lend her my $2700 Carl Zeiss 24-70 f2.8, nor my $3000 Sony 70-200 f2.8, instead i lend her some of my cheaper lenses. So how far will ur friend go for u (in terms of loaning lenses)?

if i were u id jump to nikon. i feel like they tend to be cheaper when it comes to 2nd hand stuff and 3rd party lenses. but its personal preference in the end

2nd hand Canon and Nikon lenses are more expensive than 2nd hand Sony Alpha mount lenses generally, especially if u take into consideration that 2nd hand Minolta lenses are very very cheap. Btw Minolta is NOT a 3rd party brand. Minolta = Sony's DSLR division (long story, u can google for more info). Infact Minolta invented the 1st autofocus lens and camera body.

Take for example the Minolta 70-210mm f4, it cost $300 only 2nd hand. Which other brand gives u a 70-210mm constant f4 autofocus lens for this price? Or Minolta 50mm f1.4 for $300 as well (Canon ones cost around $500)

Unless u r talking about Sony's Carl Zeiss lenses, than thats a different issue. As mentioned, Carl Zeiss is a PREMIUM brand, and that is why they can command a high price due to their quality. If you compare only Sony lenses, then they're equal or lesser than similar Canon/Nikon lenses.

the only lenses that I know of that Sony price higher than Canon and Minolta is the 50mm f1.8. But then again, Sony's 50mm is stabalised whereas Canon and Nikon ones arent.

You also need to consider the fact that Nikon and Canon lenses comes with image stabalised and non image stabalised versions. On the other hand, all alpha lenses mounted onto a Sony DSLR is image stabalised. As such when comparing lenses, U should compare Sony lenses against Nikon and Canon's stabalised version of the lenses, not the unstabalised version. And in this comparison, u will know that most Sony Alpha mount lenses are cheaper than Nikon and Canon's stabalised lenses of similar grade.

That brings about to 3rd party lenses.

Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, one of the most popular 3rd party lenses used by Sony, Canon and Nikon DSLR owners.

Nikon and Canon owners need to pay $900 for the Tamron 17-50 VC (stabalised), whereas Sony users need to pay $600 only cos we dont need the lens VC, as the non VC version becomes stabalised when mounted onto Sony Alpha.

Add to the fact that Canon and Nikon dont hv much stabalised primes, whereas all Sony primes are stabalised, that is already a bonus advantage that u get without paying a cent more.

Last edited:
guys, just try to be neutral k with your replies k? No point comparing lens-to-lens from various manufacturer. You're buying an entire system be it Canon or Nikon; lens comparison is of no value here as you cannot use a Sony lens on a Canon body and vice versa.

and FYI, putting Minolta lenses up for comparison is like bringing up discontinued EF and Nikkor lenses. They are cheap because they are no longer available brand new in the market and they have no manufacturer support. I went from Canon to Pentax, then back to Canon... mainly due to the in-body IS available on Pentax bodies... yes it works but frankly to speak in-lens stabilization is more effective especially on the telephoto end. You can shift a lens group with a larger magnitude than moving an image sensor... Still I have to highlight that it is a nice feature to have image stabilizer on all lenses.

I have decided to move to Canon.
But before i get my Canon, i am selling off my A230 to fund for the new system.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730643

After selling this, should i get the 500D or 550D?

if you don't mind used unit, I strongly recommend a 40D if you do not need fancy video features. It is going for ~$800 used.

What your canon friend using?... go get the same...:) Your friend and father may tell you to go get 5D as their lens are more usable with Full Frame.

I myself is thinking of switching from Canon to Sony A850...hehehe... but I won't be asking in the forum whether to switch.:)

between the 2, go for 550D. The ISO performance is much better, plus the movie mode is the real Full HD deal, not limited to 20FPS like the 500D.

1 month old camera only and trying to sell off? What a waste.
You've exceeded the capability of your camera so quickly?

Every system have it's Pros and Cons, some preferred either. Granted that there is more C & N users in the market, but personally as a current canon user myself I would not really advise people to switch brands because just because of "peer pressure".

The equipment is only as good as it's wielder.

I wish that the hard-sell could be toned down a bit.

what TS is looking for is some advice, not a sales pitch...

Interesting, TS asked if he should jump ship because his friend, a pro, can lend him C lenses, so he thought of jumping ship to use the hospitality to move along in his photography learning curve, quickly degenerated into "why you want to jump ship, Sony not good meh?" kind of answers.

Some of the earlier answers were really relevant, the later ones really went "this camera model" "that camera model", CZ better than L, blah blah blah. Not relevant.

What TS should consider:
1) If his friend really can let him borrow lenses the way he thought it to be?
2) What are the arsenals his friend has and would it benefit his desire to learn?
3) How soon can he by his own efforts get the equipment he needs/wants/whatever?

There exist perhaps 3 scenarios:
1) TS not too deep into Sony, say 1 body 1 kit lens 1 flash and answer to (1) above is definitively YES YES YES. Then jump.
2) Still YES YES YES to Q(1) above, but TS a bit deeper into Sony, kinda harder to jump, also poisonedd by CZ thoughts, then go to BNS and get a second hand decent C model and buy a 50mm f/1.8. That'd be equal to one S lens of decent value, probably way cheaper than a single lens CZ being paraded (that's another point altogether - if you stay with S, will be able to afford CZ lenses in a hurry, like a 3 lens setup?).
3) This is when answer to (1) above is not quite Yes, only if going outing with them then ok lah, and perhaps TS can buy some lenses in the next 2 years, slowly. Then stay with S.

Personally I would ditch S for C, cause I am imagining that there will be a bag of 85/1.2, 100 Macro, 70-200/2.8 etc that I can lay my hands on and immediately get the creamy bokeh, large aperture effects, and most importantly, get to play with these toys with little "tuition fee" except for the price of a decent C model. Indeed my friend who was in C was even better, I didn't even need to buy a C (I didn't own a camera then), he loan me his to play (well we went out together on outing and he thought me and we shot in turn, sharing film cost). Oh that was the time when having a camera means a body, a 50mm f/1.8 and a flash.

Last edited:
i will only jump to Canon on these conditions.

when i can afford those items below :

- FF body only (5D, 1D etc), those APSC bodies can forget it !!
- lenses like 85mm f1.2L, 135mm, 70-200mm f2.8 etc... those "kit lens" can forget it !!

:sweat:

Last edited:
What your canon friend using?... go get the same...:) Your friend and father may tell you to go get 5D as their lens are more usable with Full Frame.

I myself is thinking of switching from Canon to Sony A850...hehehe... but I won't be asking in the forum whether to switch.:)

A850 is very worth it, cheaper so much and yet value for money for the same quality. 3 frames per second is enough for the "weekend photographer". Battery life is so good.

seriously spending $6-7k for a DSLR body to shoot on weekends and mostly models in paid shoots, is kind of too costy and overdone, unless my money is a lot really like mountain high..

Last edited:
.... my good friend has an array of lens since both him and his father uses canon, they both rely on photography for a living.

kekeke..... dontsmokeweed, as if lending you their ricebowl is SERIOUSLY going to happen ..... :bsmilie:

your friend talk about lending is easy.......... lets see when the actual lending/borrowing happens........... but I do hope that you get to play around with their L lenses too

any misunderstanding or mishandling of their equiptment might result in a change of that Good Friend relationship ...........

My personal take........ even if offer is geuine ....... be independent and not rely on other people........... its a good habit to cultivate, trust me.

Last edited:
Look at the number of threads on Canon and Nikon. Theres a reason why these 2 brands are the preferred choice.

A popular brand does not necessarily mean the best brand. For example I think Pentax DSLRs are the better choice for the entry level photographer - more features, better IQ, cheaper price, and a slew of lenses to choose from.

Also I think that the DSLR is outdated. Mirror/prism-less interchangeable lens cameras like the Panasonic G series, Olympus EPs, Sony NEX's and Samsung's NX series are the future. Canon and Nikon have yet to come out with a product in this genre which is very disappointing to say the least. On this basis I would say that purchasing DSLRs or DSLR compatible lenses is looking backwards and not towards the future.

A popular brand does not necessarily mean the best brand. For example I think Pentax DSLRs are the better choice for the entry level photographer - more features, better IQ, cheaper price, and a slew of lenses to choose from.

Also I think that the DSLR is outdated. Mirror/prism-less interchangeable lens cameras like the Panasonic G series, Olympus EPs, Sony NEX's and Samsung's NX series are the future. Canon and Nikon have yet to come out with a product in this genre which is very disappointing to say the least. On this basis I would say that purchasing DSLRs or DSLR compatible lenses is looking backwards and not towards the future.
so what makes C & N popular if they're not the best? it will always be C vs N, no one can change and do any thing about that...

i dont think C & N will make their own EVIL (at least in a few years to come) coz they dont have to if they're products are still hot... and havnt you noticed whose diverting out from dslr? they are those playing catchup brands who cant beat C & N on dslr segment... (try mounting 70-200 2.8 on NEX-5 :sweat:)

It is laughable to state that DSLR is outdated...

I agree that EVIL is becoming popular because it caters to a certain market segment.
Honestly I didn't expect it to be that popular, so kudos to the manufacturers of such products, for giving more choices to consumers.

Unless there is a huge improvement in the current EVIL or Mirror/prism-less system, I doubt DSLR would be outdated anytime soon. Try asking a photographer why he spend so much $$$ on a 85F1.2 instead of the 85F1.8, and you would get the answer.

Also if you are doing paid photography, sometime size does matters. Remember not everyone would get to see your photograph, but many would see your equipment.

Have you seen a professional paid wedding photographer used only a PnS-sized camera for Wedding actual day? If you have, do let me know... thanks. ;)

so what makes C & N popular if they're not the best? it will always be C vs N, no one can change and do any thing about that...

i dont think C & N will make their own EVIL (at least in a few years to come) coz they dont have to if they're products are still hot... and havnt you noticed whose diverting out from dslr? they are those playing catchup brands who cant beat C & N on dslr segment... (try mounting 70-200 2.8 on NEX-5 :sweat:)

very well said. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.