Hong Kong Camera Gears Shopping Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi CS TAN,

At the price.com.hk website, I searched for a product eg, Canon Speedlight 580 EX II and the first price shows it as HK$3220 (gray). On clicking it, I get a list of speedlight prices that may be lower and (local). Do you know why doesn't the lowest price of the product get listed first instead?

hi cs tan thanks for this guide it saved me money when i went there last year, ill be going hk again this feb any idea where i can get lee filters (gnd) ?

thanks
Not many shops carry Lee filters in HK. The only place I know is Tin Cheung in their Tsim Sha Tsui main office. Their Mongkok branch does not have them.

Hi CS TAN,

At the price.com.hk website, I searched for a product eg, Canon Speedlight 580 EX II and the first price shows it as HK$3220 (gray). On clicking it, I get a list of speedlight prices that may be lower and (local). Do you know why doesn't the lowest price of the product get listed first instead?
Most likely they take the first (latest) entry and display it on the front page.

Since October last year, Canon HK has changed the international warranty to local warranty. If you are not planning to back to Canon HK for servicing, there is no point paying extra for the local set. Just go for the lowest price you can get.

thanks, will try other shop and update here if i manage to get one, because i ask tin chueng but they also dont have stock that time.

by the way i got my lens from echo photo, i guess what i bought was grey set as i keep on askin if the lens got problem do i need to bring to canon hk? but the guy insisted to bring to the there shop. but i dont mind for the savings.

wiiuwii said:
Hi CS TAN,

Some shops at the price.com site dont have actual shopfronts, esp those that offer lowest price.

I suggest u check out dchome.net forum or tincheung site for a better price indication.

Hi does anyone know if hk has international warranty for lens and flash?

martxx said:

for nikon sorry

Some shops at the price.com site dont have actual shopfronts, esp those that offer lowest price.

I suggest u check out dchome.net forum or tincheung site for a better price indication.
Actually, price.com.hk gets their price updates through 2 different channels: 1) from people who bought/get quotes on the item and report the price on the website. 2) shops that provides their best price.

So, you will see most of the shop quotes are from the smaller shops with maybe an online present and a store somewhere in an industrial building. The bigger shops such as Wing Shing/Tin Cheung will not bother to provide regular updates on the website.

However, the price from the smaller shops do give you an indication the lowest price you can expect from the current market. You then decide whether to go to those popular stores and pay a little bit more, or go to those smaller shops to get the lowest price.

Basically, the shops that are listed in price.com.hk are genuine shops and not scam/chop shops. However, do take care to clarify between local set and gray set if this is important to you.

for nikon sorry
As far as I know, Nikon is still on international warranty for lenses and flashes. Do take note that gray sets (water goods) are quite common in HK so if you want a local set with international warranty, you need to clarify clearly with the shops before handing over the money.

CS TAN said:
Actually, price.com.hk gets their price updates through 2 different channels: 1) from people who bought/get quotes on the item and report the price on the website. 2) shops that provides their best price.

So, you will see most of the shop quotes are from the smaller shops with maybe an online present and a store somewhere in an industrial building. The bigger shops such as Wing Shing/Tin Cheung will not bother to provide regular updates on the website.

However, the price from the smaller shops do give you an indication the lowest price you can expect from the current market. You then decide whether to go to those popular stores and pay a little bit more, or go to those smaller shops to get the lowest price.

Basically, the shops that are listed in price.com.hk are genuine shops and not scam/chop shops. However, do take care to clarify between local set and gray set if this is important to you.

Thanks fot the clarification! I might have gotten the wrong info.

Thanks fot the clarification! I might have gotten the wrong info.
No problem. We are all here to share our experience and hope that these info will benefit other CS forumers along the way.

Most likely they take the first (latest) entry and display it on the front page.

Since October last year, Canon HK has changed the international warranty to local warranty. If you are not planning to back to Canon HK for servicing, there is no point paying extra for the local set. Just go for the lowest price you can get.

Thanks for the information :)

Berkins,

at dchome.net, which link do I click to check price? Is it in the <product name> discussion forums or somewhere else? My chinese is quite poor :sweat:

so canon do not provide international warranty for lens already?

hi Cs tan, very useful thread you have here would like to say thanks, one question though, im getting a canon 50mm f1.4 and didnt know where to find the price for it.. could u give me an approxmiation cost for it?

and one thing is there no international warranty for the 50mm canon 1.4?? only local? cos international warranty for me is a must as i dont think im frequenting hk often..

hi Cs tan, very useful thread you have here would like to say thanks, one question though, im getting a canon 50mm f1.4 and didnt know where to find the price for it.. could u give me an approxmiation cost for it?

and one thing is there no international warranty for the 50mm canon 1.4?? only local? cos international warranty for me is a must as i dont think im frequenting hk often..
You can check THIS website for price.

Canon HK has implemented local warranty for all their lenses and flashes since October 2010.

There might still be some old stock that carry the international cards. All new stock that were issued since Oct 2010 only carry HK local warranty. Therefore if you are not coming back to HK for warranty claims, you can consider the gray sets (water goods) as it will be priced lower than the HK local sets.

One way to deal with this is to compare the price between a SG warranty lens and HK gray set and decide on yourself whether the price difference is big enough for you to "self-insured" the item for that 1 year & 3 months.

Last edited:
Hi CS Tan,

Thank you for all these useful information.
Can i check with you for the website prices.com.hk, would i be able to find shops in the wan chai area with those prices? Or would i have to go to Mong kok.
Or what area would you recommend for Nikon purchases?

Hi CS Tan,

Thank you for all these useful information.
Can i check with you for the website prices.com.hk, would i be able to find shops in the wan chai area with those prices? Or would i have to go to Mong kok.
Or what area would you recommend for Nikon purchases?
There are a few shops located at Wan Chai Computer Centre (next to MTR Wanchai station exit A4) http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5770633&postcount=19 but the ones that offer the lowest price usually are those operate without a shopfront. They are kind of like Mass Order advertisers in Clubsnap with local delivery or MTR station meetup for transaction. These shops' client base are mostly HK people rather than overseas visitors. However, you can always call them and see if they can arrange delivery to your hotel or a convenient location for COD transactions. Be sure to confirm whether the item is a local set with HK warranty or international warranty or it is a gray set before finalizing the deal.

Hi CS Tan,

looking at price.com.hk, i noticed under some shop's price there is a little green box under the price that indicates a slightly lower price with the words &#20139;&#26377;&#36092;&#29289;&#20445;&#38556;. I guess the words mean "shop warranty is provided" but in what way can we get the lower price indicated in the box?

Hi CS Tan,

Which shop you will recommend for getting a Benro or Sirui Tripod.
Considering to get Benro C-168M8 with B-0 Ballhead and a tripod beg. Do u know roughtly how much there?
Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.