Hong Kong Camera Gears Shopping Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I juz asked a friend to help me buy the tamron 17-55f2.8 non-VC, with international warranty, from HK Mongkok. The sales person told her that the international warranty is only recognized in Japan & so won't be very helpful. Is that true? Thought the 1yr international warranty is also valid in SG?

Hi all, I juz asked a friend to help me buy the tamron 17-55f2.8 non-VC, with international warranty, from HK Mongkok. The sales person told her that the international warranty is only recognized in Japan & so won't be very helpful. Is that true? Thought the 1yr international warranty is also valid in SG?
Not true. Which shop did your friend went to? Ask your friend to check whether the shop is selling HK local sets or gray sets. Ask your friend to try getting the lens from Wing Shing or Man Shing in Mongkok.

The authorized Tamron shops will carry the international warranty card and you can request them to replace the local 3-year warranty card with the 1-year International warranty card.

I just bought my Tammy 17-50mm VC at Wing Shing as per advised by Brother Tan. The local warranty they provide is 5 years however, they will replace it on the spot with a international warranty upon request. I got this lens at $3,850 HKD.

As for the Canon 60D, the cheapest I can find is $7520 from Mongkok Computer Center with local warranty. But due to the $200 singapore dollars, i decide to get it in Singapore to save some hassle.

Reverend said:
I just bought my Tammy 17-50mm VC at Wing Shing as per advised by Brother Tan. The local warranty they provide is 5 years however, they will replace it on the spot with a international warranty upon request. I got this lens at $3,850 HKD.

As for the Canon 60D, the cheapest I can find is $7520 from Mongkok Computer Center with local warranty. But due to the $200 singapore dollars, i decide to get it in Singapore to save some hassle.

Bro, just be careful when bringing back to s'pore cos any purchases above s$400 carries import gst of 7%. What I do is take the lens out from the box and flatten it.

Bro, just be careful when bringing back to s'pore cos any purchases above s$400 carries import gst of 7%. What I do is take the lens out from the box and flatten it.
Better not flatten the lens otherwise it might take a while to put it back in one piece. J/K ;p

Thanks Bro,

Already flatten and stuff it into my suitcase. I already had a few run in with our "efficient" Custom. Had to be smart.

I intend to get a nikon 70-200 VR2

Can anyone advice me which shops in the following link is more trustworthy?
http://www.price.com.hk/product.php?p=112902

so those not listed as water goods, are ones with nikon international warranty?

CS TAN said:
Better not flatten the lens otherwise it might take a while to put it back in one piece. J/K ;p

I mean flatten the box, lol...hope no damage inflicted on the lens so far :p

Reverend said:
Thanks Bro,

Already flatten and stuff it into my suitcase. I already had a few run in with our "efficient" Custom. Had to be smart.

Enjoy ur flight :)

Enjoy ur flight :)

Thanks Bro. I will.

I went to a place called Champagne Court on TST, recommended by a friend. He know that I was into Camera, told me to visit that place.

Found that place to be a 2nd Hand SLR treasure cove. They have alot of spare parts and lens for old cameras, including those from the 50s. :bigeyes:

I didnt have much time to spend there because i was meeting a client for dinner.

But it is a place to go for old timer film type SLR.

Brother Tan,

you know of this place?

Thanks Bro. I will.

I went to a place called Champagne Court on TST, recommended by a friend. He know that I was into Camera, told me to visit that place.

Found that place to be a 2nd Hand SLR treasure cove. They have alot of spare parts and lens for old cameras, including those from the 50s. :bigeyes:

I didnt have much time to spend there because i was meeting a client for dinner.

But it is a place to go for old timer film type SLR.

Brother Tan,

you know of this place?
Yup, it was listed in the Tsim Sha Tsui (TST) section. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5770453&postcount=13

Good to treasure hunt there if you have more time...

anyone going to HK? i would like get some help getting some stuff!!! PM me
:)

Bro TAN,
Will have another go at that place during my next trip on the 17th Feb.

Bro Undercover,
What do you need? Let's see if i can help. i am heading back tomorrow night, so might have time to drop by to pick it up for ya.

I was in HK again 2days ago, just to share that Nikon SB700 is currently out of stock in HK.:)

For camera bodies, there was no international warranty all along (for both Nikon and Canon). As for the policy change, we are talking about Canon lenses and flashes. Before Oct 2010, you can get the HK local set (lenses and flashes) which will include international warranty but after that date, the new stock will only include HK/China warranty from HK local sets.

As for whether to go for Tin Cheung or DDElectronics, it is entirely your call.

There is always a risk certain shop might go out of business and your shop warranty will go with it. For HK local warranty, at least you know Canon HK is not as easy to go out of business and you have an option to send it back for repair if you really have no other choice.

hi, can I double-check, current Canon lenses that can be purchased in HK carry only local HK warranty right? do they still happen to carry international warranty?

hi, can I double-check, current Canon lenses that can be purchased in HK carry only local HK warranty right? do they still happen to carry international warranty?
Any new stock that were issued by Canon HK after 1st October 2010 will only carry the Canon HK local warranty card. But, for the not-so-popular lenses, there might still be old stock left which will still carry the international warranty card.

The key is to look at the warranty card. If it has the word "International warranty" on the card, then that lens will still enjoy the 1-yr international warranty coverage.

Will be going to HK in a month's time and getting my Sony a55 there..

Heard of good reviews from Echo Photo in this thread, do they sell camera kits too?

Cos nobody mentioned buying camea bodies from them..

Any new stock that were issued by Canon HK after 1st October 2010 will only carry the Canon HK local warranty card. But, for the not-so-popular lenses, there might still be old stock left which will still carry the international warranty card.

The key is to look at the warranty card. If it has the word "International warranty" on the card, then that lens will still enjoy the 1-yr international warranty coverage.

thanks alot! :D

caffein said:

CS TAN said:
Not true. Which shop did your friend went to? Ask your friend to check whether the shop is selling HK local sets or gray sets. Ask your friend to try getting the lens from Wing Shing or Man Shing in Mongkok.

The authorized Tamron shops will carry the international warranty card and you can request them to replace the local 3-year warranty card with the 1-year International warranty card.

My friend got the lens from Wing Shing in Mongkok. It comes with a white slip of paper that says "One Year International Warranty". Not sure why the salesperson say the international warranty is only valid in Japan.

I will be in Hong Kong from 3rd March to 8th March! Am looking to get a Tripod, WA Lens and maybe a flash, Nikon Mount. any recommendations on the good deals there?

Status
Not open for further replies.