Gaffer Tape the Camera!

Actually if you know where to look, Gaffer tapes are actually very cheap. Those under apollo brand or whatever stage equipment brand... all are made the same way. All you need to take note of is the bonding strength per sq inch. Make sure it is not too high, and you want the type that use non-residue non-reactive natural rubber (latex) adhesive. I get mine for less than $3 a roll 2 inch x 12 yards (10.8m). Made in japan too but bought locally in SG. But I use it for other things. I never gaffer my camera equipment. Just a occupational habit not to do so.

Last edited:
There is another thread over at Nikon... some bros encountered bad experiences with gaffer tapes. Did anyone experienced the same or perhaps the Nikon & Canon body materials are different ? I'm not implying anything, only genuinely curious & keen to learn. ;p I just "gaffered" my cam body last night, but after reading the below thread, I'm having thoughts of tearing everything out before any damages are done.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710903&highlight=gaffer

Hi guys,reently bought some gaffer tape, my instinct tell me to tape up my lens. Here the picture of the lens. Abit disgusting, please bear with it.

238a046c.jpg

88d6c536.jpg

Got a practically new 24-70 from a seller here. Hood unused, so the first thing I did was to gaffer tape the hood:

5001371383_c998f29804_z.jpg

Actually if you know where to look, Gaffer tapes are actually very cheap. Those under apollo brand or whatever stage equipment brand... all are made the same way. All you need to take note of is the bonding strength per sq inch. Make sure it is not too high, and you want the type that use non-residue non-reactive natural rubber (latex) adhesive. I get mine for less than $3 a roll 2 inch x 12 yards (10.8m). Made in japan too but bought locally in SG. But I use it for other things. I never gaffer my camera equipment. Just a occupational habit not to do so.

No one knows the tapes better than DD123 :)

My latest gaffered lens...

5026438705_88070650fb_b.jpg

It really looks like a cannon....boomz

5026439159_c856fdf406_b.jpg

Last edited:
My latest gaffered lens...

5026438705_88070650fb_b.jpg

It really looks like a cannon....boomz

5026439159_c856fdf406_b.jpg

Nice and neat. Can post more picture of back of the hood and rear cap area? I thought this is what people use to tape their car Bornet. Dry carbon fibre sticker. By the way how much you bought the sticker?

Nice and neat. Can post more picture of back of the hood and rear cap area? I thought this is what people use to tape their car Bornet. Dry carbon fibre sticker. By the way how much you bought the sticker?

You can get this from Eugene in MO. I bought the 100x50cm for $36. Can heat and stretch for the contours and uneven areas. Very addictive...now gaffering my 2nd lens :)

You can get this from Eugene in MO. I bought the 100x50cm for $36. Can heat and stretch for the contours and uneven areas. Very addictive...now gaffering my 2nd lens :)

Wow really very ex. Who is eugene?I just found out autobac(car accessories shop) selling 1mX1m=$60.

Have you had to remove the tape yet? Does it leave the sticky residue?

Wow really very ex. Who is eugene?I just found out autobac(car accessories shop) selling 1mX1m=$60.

really, is it the same? If it is, then can buy more from Autobac cos this one really good.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572265

Have you had to remove the tape yet? Does it leave the sticky residue?

I have not sticked long enough to know. But I did peel off some areas shortly after and there is no residue. Somemore still sticky enough to reuse.

Carbon fiber and camo one sibei swee.

If only got those pre cut ones that can stick over the entire camera but leaving all ports and buttons, etc, usable. =P

Nice workmanship! Very neat the way you do up the contour area. I got a hard time sticking the edge of the hood and even surface always got bubble.wanted to heat up the bubble area but worry damaging the lens. But a little wastethat we gaffer the lens
cause can't really see the white paint. Other may think it's just a normal lens instead of white L Lens series.keke.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nice workmanship! Very neat the way you do up the contour area. I got a hard time sticking the edge of the hood and even surface always got bubble.wanted to heat up the bubble area but worry damaging the lens. But a little waste we
cause can't see any white. Other may think it's just a normal lens instead of white L Lens series.keke.:thumbsup:

My trick is to work with thinner strips instead of trying to cut and paste the entire area all at once. For example, I cut 1 cm strips for the 2 edges, then a 3cm strips to overlap them. For tapering areas, maybe cut 3 short overlapping strips instead of 1 long one to cover the entire circle. If you are patient enough, you can even join the patterns from where the last one left off. I am not, so you can see my lines are not continuous. But this gaffer is quite good in the sense that overlapping tapes are not obvious. It looks like the same piece if done properly.

Also try not to overheat, it does not look nice over-stretched.

Ah, thanks for the info.

No problem. Just sharing experiences.

My trick is to work with thinner strips instead of trying to cut and paste the entire area all at once. For example, I cut 1 cm strips for the 2 edges, then a 3cm strips to overlap them. For tapering areas, maybe cut 3 short overlapping strips instead of 1 long one to cover the entire circle. If you are patient enough, you can even join the patterns from where the last one left off. I am not, so you can see my lines are not continuous. But this gaffer is quite good in the sense that overlapping tapes are not obvious. It looks like the same piece if done properly.

Also try not to overheat, it does not look nice over-stretched.

No problem. Just sharing experiences.

I apologized for the typo error due to fat fingers using Iphone for replying while driving:sweat:. Well i feel like buying dry carbon sticker to do up my lens like yours. For birders they may find it nice for camo purpose. But when i bring out my 100-400 sometimes for taking some bodybuilding competition, some people will give me one kind of look as they don't understand why i tape my lens till so ugly. :cry:

no sticky residue found after one year on my lens hood. :thumbsup:

Do you know this for a fact? I mean, gaffer tape on ur equipment has a negative affect on its resale value. Any residue remaining even more. So can it be safely removed after say 6 months time? Which brand do you recommend?

Do you know this for a fact? I mean, gaffer tape on ur equipment has a negative affect on its resale value. Any residue remaining even more. So can it be safely removed after say 6 months time? Which brand do you recommend?

Hi.. I am referring to this actually. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572265

As for gaffer tapes, as long as you change it frequent enough i.e. 6 monthly, it should not leave sticky residues too. Recommended brands inc apollo.