Gaffer Tape the Camera!

But a little wastethat we gaffer the lens
cause can't really see the white paint. Other may think it's just a normal lens instead of white L Lens series.keke.:thumbsup:

But when i bring out my 100-400 sometimes for taking some bodybuilding competition, some people will give me one kind of look as they don't understand why i tape my lens till so ugly. :cry:

I gaffer my lens so that it does not look conspicious. White really sticks out on the street. Also for some protection against knocks and scratches. So if others think it is ugly , let it be. I am not bothered.

The CF(3M Product) tape can be purchased from this shop over @ Ubi..Use to purchased it for sticking on my bike..

Prices might have change already but the last time we got it, around Mar this year..It's selling for 1m x 1.2m for $55(Before GST & Standard CF colour which is black).

They do sell it in white,grey,red etc etc..Prices is probably different..Tested on my bike to leave no residue when i peel it off after 1year plus..Rain or shine..

Gives me some idea to tape up my 70-200 lens but kinda lazy to do so..

Shop link here -> http://www.issmart.net/

Last edited:
IMG_0299.JPG

I dun have any red rubber band to expose:cry:

Darn bros! At first I was gonna praise you guys for having the patience n creativity to go thru all those pasting n stuffs, n say I might not have done it if it were me... then I came across the Carbon Fiber tape pics n straightaway I went like "I've got to get me these!" :bigeyes::think:

Looks like I'm gonna CF my body n less too! :lovegrin::sweatsm: Thanks everyone for sharing the pics n experiences! :thumbsup:

Nice and neat. Can post more picture of back of the hood and rear cap area? I thought this is what people use to tape their car Bornet. Dry carbon fibre sticker. By the way how much you bought the sticker?

Anyone knows where to buy the carbon fiber gaffer tape?

I think it's just normal 3M carbon fiber tape, not gaffer.

How long did you bros leave it on before removing? People say 6mths is still ok, anybody tried longer? Like a year, a year+ ?

do it! haha.

3610304960_7049dfc7c1.jpg

the sides will form residue if it stays there for too long.

or else, the gaffer should be good enough to keep the camera scratch free during all those hussles.

there is nothing much to gaffer on the 1755, probably the hood only.

I covered two of my lens hoods with a gaffer tape in carbon design for the heck of it and to add a cool look but what you have done reminds me of the MadMax movies: turn something nice and beautiful into something looking ugly and trashy.

If you are lucky the glue will reside on the body if you eventually decide to remove the tape. Besides, if someone offered me a second hand body like that I'd say " thank you , but no thank you." Looks shitty and hard to tell how the body was taken care of - the looks suggests it was treated rough.

No offence...

Last edited:
My latest gaffered lens...

5026438705_88070650fb_b.jpg

It really looks like a cannon....boomz

5026439159_c856fdf406_b.jpg

Nice job, but it defeats the purpose of having is painted in white color by Canon which was done in order to prevent the lens from heating up too much in bright sun light (and we have plenty of that in Spore). So now you must seek the shadow - well done.

google2011 said:
Nice job, but it defeats the purpose of having is painted in white color by Canon which was done in order to prevent the lens from heating up too much in bright sun light (and we have plenty of that in Spore). So now you must seek the shadow - well done.

Btw nikon , sigma , Tamron telephotos are all black. It doesn't affect that much, IMHO.

For us Casual its okay. But not for those who camp for 6 hrs in bright sunlight in a safari waiting for that perfect shot and getting dehydrated at the same time.

Btw nikon , sigma , Tamron telephotos are all black. It doesn't affect that much, IMHO.

The lens are white for a reason. All Canon lens that contain flourite element will be in white to reduce heat absorption. The flourite element is susceptible to heat, it will expand and affect IQ.

On the other hand, Nikon is using ED element which is not that sensitive to heat so the lens does not come with "please rob me" colour.

I covered two of my lens hoods with a gaffer tape in carbon design for the heck of it and to add a cool look but what you have done reminds me of the MadMax movies: turn something nice and beautiful into something looking ugly and trashy.

If you are lucky the glue will reside on the body if you eventually decide to remove the tape. Besides, if someone offered me a second hand body like that I'd say " thank you , but no thank you." Looks shitty and hard to tell how the body was taken care of - the looks suggests it was treated rough.

No offence...
In a third world country, this method of gaffering could mean life or death to the photographer. ;p

My friend is a avid cyclist and cycle regularly up Malaysia. After purchasing a S$8,000 Trek Madone road bike, one of the first thing he does was to paint it all white "Bangladeshi Style™".

Last edited:

This is an old thread. Anyway, I have used the lens in harsher environment than Singapore. No problems whatsoever. There is a reason for everything but it also does not mean that if you do things other than the intended recommendation, something will break.

This is an old thread. Anyway, I have used the lens in harsher environment than Singapore. No problems whatsoever. There is a reason for everything but it also does not mean that if you do things other than the intended recommendation, something will break.

Bro how often did u used the lens in harsher environment? Once? Twice? Of course if we use the equipment for such a limited time, doubt so we are so unlucky to see it breakdown or to see any difference.

Things are designed in a certain way for reasons. Canon spend hours and millions of $ on R&D and came up with some conclusion why certain things has to be built a certain way. We consumer used the said equipment for such limited time and come up with our own conclusion and say manufacturers dont noe what they saying or what they say just to confuse consumer. Wondering who has a more credible claim.

Frankly speaking i do not understand wat's the hype about this gaffering white lens or even camera body. If one is going to safari maybe gaffering will prevent the lens from standing out in the wild, i can accept it. But to gaffer it to prevent wear and tear or even scratches, please loh ... might as well keep the lens and camera in the box and dont use it. These equipment are meant to be handled and not meant to be put in a glass showcase. Tink the problems is we have more equipment lovers who are so in luv with their equipment rather then someone who is genuinely into photography. Sad thing to see.

Just my opinion. Peace out!

Bro how often did u used the lens in harsher environment? Once? Twice? Of course if we use the equipment for such a limited time, doubt so we are so unlucky to see it breakdown or to see any difference.

Things are designed in a certain way for reasons. Canon spend hours and millions of $ on R&D and came up with some conclusion why certain things has to be built a certain way. We consumer used the said equipment for such limited time and come up with our own conclusion and say manufacturers dont noe what they saying or what they say just to confuse consumer. Wondering who has a more credible claim.

Frankly speaking i do not understand wat's the hype about this gaffering white lens or even camera body. If one is going to safari maybe gaffering will prevent the lens from standing out in the wild, i can accept it. But to gaffer it to prevent wear and tear or even scratches, please loh ... might as well keep the lens and camera in the box and dont use it. These equipment are meant to be handled and not meant to be put in a glass showcase. Tink the problems is we have more equipment lovers who are so in luv with their equipment rather then someone who is genuinely into photography. Sad thing to see.

same sentiments.

I use my lens much more often than you can imagine. Anyway, the thread started with showing how you gaffer your gears , not why you gaffer it. Also I did not claim any manufacturer did not know what they are doing by painting a lens white. I also did not say I am more credible than any manufacturers. Neither did I treat my lens in a dear way that it should be showcased. It seems you like to assume things from your point of view.

Good that you enjoyed your photography but obviously this thread is simply one about gaffering. I respect your opinion about being straight and uptight about keeping to specifications and usage. It does not mean others cannot be creative and do things differently. Functionality is impt to some. Aesthetic is impt to some. Anonymity is impt to some. To each his own.

Last edited: