Format old Hard Disk ... some queries

Status
Not open for further replies.
yo dudes .... based on ALL your inputs...I have just completed re-creating a BOOT DISK for my 'operation' :) on my precious

I shall be doing the following :

1. Boot up system with BOOT DISK
2. At command prompt, execute "format c: /u /q"
3. After FORMAT, execute "fdisk /mbr" ( QUESTION : this command should not affect my second HARDDISK, D Drive, right ? ) or I need to execute "fdisk c: /mbr" ???
4. Do I really need to partition my harddisk ????
5. Disconnect ALL internet connections and insert WIN98SE CD-ROM for re-installation
6. After installation of OS, drivers and necessary applications, create an IMAGE on the HD aka RECOVERY CDR or DVDR
7. Install ANTI-VIRUS Programme
8. Connect to INTERNET and download latest virus definitions/ updates
9. Run STINGER again ( QUESTION : is this necessary ? )
10. If all else fail, contact JSBN and JBMA ;p

End of Operation

Did I miss out anything ? :sweat: I trust these steps should be adequate and correct.

BTW, any quick way to backup configurations ? e.g. internet connection configurations, IP addresses etc.

AhV said:
yo dudes .... based on ALL your inputs...I have just completed re-creating a BOOT DISK for my 'operation' :) on my precious

I shall be doing the following :

1. Boot up system with BOOT DISK
2. At command prompt, execute "format c: /u /q"
3. After FORMAT, execute "fdisk /mbr" ( QUESTION : this command should not affect my second HARDDISK, D Drive, right ? ) or I need to execute "fdisk c: /mbr" ???
4. Do I really need to partition my harddisk ????
5. Disconnect ALL internet connections and insert WIN98SE CD-ROM for re-installation
6. After installation of OS, drivers and necessary applications, create an IMAGE on the HD aka RECOVERY CDR or DVDR
7. Install ANTI-VIRUS Programme
8. Connect to INTERNET and download latest virus definitions/ updates
9. Run STINGER again ( QUESTION : is this necessary ? )
10. If all else fail, contact JSBN and JBMA ;p

End of Operation

Did I miss out anything ? :sweat: I trust these steps should be adequate and correct.

BTW, any quick way to backup configurations ? e.g. internet connection configurations, IP addresses etc.

no, you can't do fdisk. your d drive is most probably extended partition, and your c drive should be primary. deleting partition c requires deletion of partition d first if i recall correctly. just do a format c can liao.

format with /q means quick format if recall correctly, which is useless, so ignore the /q where as /u should mean unconditional format.

Drudkh said:
no, you can't do fdisk. your d drive is most probably extended partition, and your c drive should be primary. deleting partition c requires deletion of partition d first if i recall correctly. just do a format c can liao.

huh ? Why is "D Drive" considered a partition when it is a physical drive ???

Correct me if I am wrong...cant afford to miss any critical steps or add any detrimental steps ? So, I just execute "FORMAT C: /u /q" .....Ola was mentioning sth about deleting the old HD ID and re-creating a new one :think: getting rid of boot sector viruses so that they are not 'hiding' anywhere ?

oh, your d drive is a separate hdd? then it should be fine to do fdisk, then format your c drive which i assume is also 1 hdd?

paisey, didn't read properly.

when you fdisk, make sure you choose the correct hdd.
when asked enable large file size, choose yes so that FAT32 is enabled.

in the past, when i do fdisk/format, i would disconnect all other hdds and perform the fdisk/formatting/install Os, antivirus and everything else to get updates and stuffs. after i'm very sure no virus then i connect back the other hdds, so that when there's any virus found, the anti-virus/patches can overcome them when i do a full anti-virus scan.

Drudkh said:
in the past, when i do fdisk/format, i would disconnect all other hdds and perform the fdisk/formatting/install Os, antivirus and everything else to get updates and stuffs. after i'm very sure no virus then i connect back the other hdds, so that when there's any virus found, the anti-virus/patches can overcome them when i do a full anti-virus scan.

wise tip...so I just need to disconnect the cable to D Drive......

Stupid "smithfraud" is supposedly a spyware ....so anti-virus is unable to detect it... actually, i suspect it is residing in my D Drive :think: .... will probably need to trouble shoot further later ...file by file :sweat: ....of cos, after I ARM my C: DRIVE :devil:

yes, just disconnect the IDE cable or/and power molex from the other hdd can liao.
then you shuld install whatever protections you can which you think can hunt that **** down when you reconnect back the hdd if you suspect it still resides in.

Status
Not open for further replies.