Format old Hard Disk ... some queries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look like the only option for you is to format your hard disk and re-install your system.

When you reformat your hard disk, the virus will be removed unless it is boot sector virus.
If is is boot sector virus, just need to do a fdisk /mbr and it will be removed.

What is the name of the file that you open and infect your system?
Where did you get that file?

I would like to know what virus affected your system....
Seem so "powerful" ....
If possible I would like a copy of it ...
I am a "virus collector" ... ;)

Ola said:
I would like to know what virus affected your system....
Seem so "powerful" ....
If possible I would like a copy of it ...
I am a "virus collector" ... ;)

I THINK I REMEMBER LIAO..IT HAS A BLUE SCREEN ..A LONG TEXT MESSAGE SAYING YOUR COMPUTER HAS BEEN AFFECTED........SMITHFRAUD ? :think:

Darn! Now u remember! Hav u formatted ur hardisk? :sweat:

Ola said:
See link.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Trojan_SpyHTMLsmithfraudc-t17872.html

Is this what you experience? The solutions is in the link too.

he...yes, I ve read this forum when I was infected earlier with another virus... managed to remove it...not for smithfraud..somehow, it's more complex and some steps were not executed.....which explains why my system is 'half-cleaned' now

I did not manage to complete what was written..... in addition, too chim for me to understand too...executed what I understood and skipped those which confused me :sweat:

You cannot skip any steps if you want to remove the "virus".
Or you can try hazta's link.

REMEMBER DO NOT SKIP ANY STEPS.....

Whoa... How can u take such risks - skipping steps which u dun understand :what: U r askin for trouble, bro... :nono:

If you have uninstall your MS programs, then I suggest you use the last option (format and fresh install).
If not, it should work after removal.

Good luck to u bro... Hope all goes well n do feedback e results when u r done.

Bedtime... ;)

Cheers...

Time to rest... Do update us...

AhV said:
alright..I have already done a search in the forum...found some related threads but not exactly what I am facing :(

What happened to me ? I opened an 'innocent' file and a virus replicated so quickly that it 'killed' my windows and all related applications. Basically, as long as it is MS-related, it will not work....I guess the virus-author really hate Bill :bsmilie:

Anyway, I have only ONE option, right ? FORMAT the Hard Disk to kill the 'sucker'

My queries :

(1) Since my computer is already infected, can I create a BOOT DISK on another PC - running a later OS e.g. Windows ME, Windows 2000 ....etc.

(2) With this newly created BOOT DISK, I should be able to bring up the COMMAND PROMPT to execute the FORMAT command ? Any issue of incompatibility ? I mean I have created it using another OS :think:

(3) I will be re-installing WINDOWS 98, second edition ..... no choice, lo ...old PC ....manufactured in YEAR 1998 ( Pentium II ;) ) Or can it take a better OS ???

(4) If I execute a 'FORMAT C:'...any other parameters required ? e.g. format c: /s I want to ensure I kill the 'sucker' ... I mean virus

(5) How do I know 'FORMAT C:' is the "C Drive" in my windows application ? FYI, I have backup all my data into a D Drive. So, I cant afford to FORMAT the WRONG harddisk :sweat:

Any expert advice would be appreciated.....TIA !!!!
Boot frm CD-ROM loh. Win98 can boot frm CD-ROM liaoz with all ur fdisk, format, etc, etc. Where u staying? I see can pass it to u tmr or nt.

after you finished installing ur fresh OS, updated device drivers and all applications (that have been tested to work properly), you might want to consider ghosting the entire HDD image onto CDR or DVDR. this is called creating a recovery CD.

what it does is to do a mirror image backup of ur HDD into removable media, and on the next system crash due to virus or other causes, just pop in the recovery CD and boot off. you'll get a freshly installed copy of everything to that point of cloning.

you'll be surprised that the recovery process is much much quicker than if u were to reinstall OS and other stuff. on my old P3-733MHz, it took about 5min to transfer the contents of the recovery CD to my HDD, compared to hours if i were to do everything from the start.

user12343 said:
after you finished installing ur fresh OS, updated device drivers and all applications (that have been tested to work properly), you might want to consider ghosting the entire HDD image onto CDR or DVDR. this is called creating a recovery CD.

what it does is to do a mirror image backup of ur HDD into removable media, and on the next system crash due to virus or other causes, just pop in the recovery CD and boot off. you'll get a freshly installed copy of everything to that point of cloning.

you'll be surprised that the recovery process is much much quicker than if u were to reinstall OS and other stuff. on my old P3-733MHz, it took about 5min to transfer the contents of the recovery CD to my HDD, compared to hours if i were to do everything from the start.

ok..noted...thanks for the tip :)

jsbn said:
Boot frm CD-ROM loh. Win98 can boot frm CD-ROM liaoz with all ur fdisk, format, etc, etc. Where u staying? I see can pass it to u tmr or nt.

I stay in the North lo ....... :)

PM me know if you need help.

Remember to remove your system from the internet first and make sure you have install an Antivirus software before you connect your system to the internet.

Ola said:
Remember to remove your system from the internet first and make sure you have install an Antivirus software before you connect your system to the internet.

This is a good point.

If you really are going to install Win98, make two partitions at least... leave one for Windows and the other for data. As most ppl know Win98 isn't stable. Much better to run Win2000. I've run it fine on similar systems to yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.