D90 User Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
You sound like a rich elitist who think's everyone can afford a $65-only battery if they can buy a $1.6k camera. For a $65 original, he can get 2 3rd party ones and that fulfill his needs at the required budget. For all you know, the camera may have burnt most if not all of the person's budget. There's no 3rd party camera that can fulfill the quality or features required of a D90. That's why it can still be popular at a high price of $1.6k.

I'm not referring to the buy at Mini-Challenger, I'm referring to accessories in general. I always read people saying how they don't understand or insist that people buy original accessories or dry cabinets, but buying cheaper stuff is a risk that people understand and dare to undertake. What's wrong with a dry box if the owner is willing to take the extra effort of monitoring the silica gels and the likes. Similarly, what's wrong with the 3rd party battery if the warranty is not meaningful to the owner?

Ultimately, recommendations are encouraged. But imposing your views and lifestyle and preferences on others is what I don't agree. I believe that everyone has their own budget to work with and something they wish to achieve. If they can handle it well, why make that kind of comments?

read my comment again.. anything happen to your $1600+ camera due to 3rd party battery will void the warranty. That's all I'm trying to say, and not trying to be elitist. I don't think it worths the $40 saving if it voids the warranty on your $1600+ cam, no?

I own many third party lenses (Tamron, Sigma, Tokina) and other third party SD cards (no Nikon SD cards :) ), but that's a different matter.

Last edited:
read my comment again.. anything happen to your $1600+ camera due to 3rd party battery will void the warranty. That's all I'm trying to say, and not trying to be elitist. I don't think it worths the $40 saving if it voids the warranty on your $1600+ cam, no?

I own many third party lenses (Tamron, Sigma, Tokina) and other third party SD cards (no Nikon SD cards :) ), but that's a different matter.

I didn't say you're wrong about the warranty. All I'm saying is that the savings of $40 may not be worth it to you, but it can mean something to other users. It's a subjective decision that defers from individuals to individuals.

The warranty will only be void should something happen as a result of the battery, but this is not a major risk and something that users of 3rd party batteries are willing to undertake (I'm assuming they know the warranty conditions when they buy 3rd party batteries, dont know then stick with nikon original). The chances of voiding warranty might not be significant enough for people to wanna pay an additional $40 for an original battery, and that there are people who do intend to use 3rd party batteries as backup power sources. So whether voiding the warranty when something happens due to 3rd party batteries is a chance that people can think about themselves when considering their own budgets and usage. It's not up to us to decide for them what is worth it or not, but I encourage that you inform them about warranty voiding.

As for the elitist comment, it's with regards to the tone and way in which you frame your statement. I'm not a saint myself, but it comes to me as insensitive to those with a tighter budget. Of course I do read your comments again and again to understand your point of view, I only disagree with how the message is brought across.

interesting .. but the batteries on your flash is definately not nikon right? then how?
what warranty is there on your flash?

batteries are batteries - V=IR theory .. either run it in series or parallel. No need to be einstein to figure it out.

if camera can be spolit by 3rd party battery then all machines like cars,handphones, laptops, watches, etc will be spoilt long time ago because there is no such thing as a battery specifically made for them.

as long as voltage and current matches, it will work. Brands do not make a difference.
Less those circuitary needed maybe to display the exact charge left or those which maybe needed for proper functioning of a mode you require.

sometimes i wonder how much people know about basic knowledge of things around them.

Please do not make science a joke. it doesn't mean nikon original batteries are defect free as well.

Last edited:
I didn't say you're wrong about the warranty. All I'm saying is that the savings of $40 may not be worth it to you, but it can mean something to other users. It's a subjective decision that defers from individuals to individuals.

The warranty will only be void should something happen as a result of the battery, but this is not a major risk and something that users of 3rd party batteries are willing to undertake (I'm assuming they know the warranty conditions when they buy 3rd party batteries, dont know then stick with nikon original). The chances of voiding warranty might not be significant enough for people to wanna pay an additional $40 for an original battery, and that there are people who do intend to use 3rd party batteries as backup power sources. So whether voiding the warranty when something happens due to 3rd party batteries is a chance that people can think about themselves when considering their own budgets and usage. It's not up to us to decide for them what is worth it or not, but I encourage that you inform them about warranty voiding.

As for the elitist comment, it's with regards to the tone and way in which you frame your statement. I'm not a saint myself, but it comes to me as insensitive to those with a tighter budget. Of course I do read your comments again and again to understand your point of view, I only disagree with how the message is brought across.

Yes, I think the way I wrote it was harsh. Apologies to all the mates here who maybe offended. Just so you know, it was unintentional.

interesting .. but the batteries on your flash is definately not nikon right? then how?
what warranty is there on your flash?

batteries are batteries - V=IR theory .. either run it in series or parallel. No need to be einstein to figure it out.

if camera can be spolit by 3rd party battery then all machines like cars,handphones, laptops, watches, etc will be spoilt long time ago because there is no such thing as a battery specifically made for them.

as long as voltage and current matches, it will work. Brands do not make a difference.
Less those circuitary needed maybe to display the exact charge left or those which maybe needed for proper functioning of a mode you require.

sometimes i wonder how much people know about basic knowledge of things around them.

Please do not make science a joke. it doesn't mean nikon original batteries are defect free as well.

it's not the battery, it's the warranty.
Nikon batteries could also be faulty, but I think your warranty will still cover it if anything happens.

I do understand how many things work around us.
But, you also need to know there are differences on how these batteries were made.
It is not just a simple V = IR.
Same size batteries can hold more charges with the same voltage, etc etc, depending on the materials they were made.
If not well made (contaminants or what have you), the chemistry that is happening inside the battery can give voltage spikes which if large enough can cause havoc to your camera circuitry.

Last edited:

What matters more is the quality of the parts/materials used in a battery.

I have personally used 3rd party batteries in my cameras. While the one I used in my old camera worked, I noticed a significant drop in capacity after a year of use while the original battery stayed constant.

Power rating is one thing, but with the higher capacity and fast charging cycle of modern rechargeable batteries nowadays it is better to be safe than sorry. I have used china made Li-on batteries that exploded when charging, batteries that wreak havoc and fried the circuit board of my mobile phone. Things do happen with badly made batteries.

Nothing is for free in this world, you may make the argument that big brands charge high because they advertise. I agree to a certain extent. But the big brands also have to maintain a certain quality level to make good on that brand promise. As such, their controls on production (and even outsourced production) and materials management are very much stricter and thereby ensuring less defects. You can also argue that some batteries are made in the same OEM factories as the big brands. Well, personally, I have seen products rolling off the same line for 2 different customers, and the products have very differing levels of quality. In the end, if something is cheap, corners have to be cut. Basic knowledge is one thing. But when you have specialized knowledge of manufacturing process and personal first hand experience with these factories, you will know that these 3rd party batteries do indeed present a serious risk to your equipment. I invite you to seriously understand the manufacturing industry before leaving such comments as the above.

And with the pricing of Nikon D90 batteries down to $49 at SLR revolution in Funan, I think going original is the right way to go. At least, for me personally, it is. And yes, btw, read the terms and conditions of the warranty. If you use a 3rd party battery in your camera and it damages it, you are not covered. We did not make it up. It is in the warranty T&C.

Last edited:
the question is, will Nikon know if the damage to the camera is due to the 3rd party bat? i read somewhere that original batteries have "safety measures" that will make sure that voltage will not spike so if Nikon sees that it is due to a voltage spike, then they are sure it's because of a 3rd party bat? can anyone verify on this..

What matters more is the quality of the parts/materials used in a battery.

I have personally used 3rd party batteries in my cameras. While the one I used in my old camera worked, I noticed a significant drop in capacity after a year of use while the original battery stayed constant.

Power rating is one thing, but with the higher capacity and fast charging cycle of modern rechargeable batteries nowadays it is better to be safe than sorry. I have used china made Li-on batteries that exploded when charging, batteries that wreak havoc and fried the circuit board of my mobile phone. Things do happen with badly made batteries.

Nothing is for free in this world, you may make the argument that big brands charge high because they advertise. I agree to a certain extent. But the big brands also have to maintain a certain quality level to make good on that brand promise. As such, their controls on production (and even outsourced production) and materials management are very much stricter and thereby ensuring less defects. You can also argue that some batteries are made in the same OEM factories as the big brands. Well, personally, I have seen products rolling off the same line for 2 different customers, and the products have very differing levels of quality. In the end, if something is cheap, corners have to be cut. Basic knowledge is one thing. But when you have specialized knowledge of manufacturing process and personal first hand experience with these factories, you will know that these 3rd party batteries do indeed present a serious risk to your equipment. I invite you to seriously understand the manufacturing industry before leaving such comments as the above.

And with the pricing of Nikon D90 batteries down to $49 at SLR revolution in Funan, I think going original is the right way to go. At least, for me personally, it is. And yes, btw, read the terms and conditions of the warranty. If you use a 3rd party battery in your camera and it damages it, you are not covered. We did not make it up. It is in the warranty T&C.

so what batteries are authorised for the nikon flash? they consume higher current. now don't tell me any decent battery will suffice?

I have used cheap batteries for items in the house before an i know some of them which just cannot hold its charge for long and just depletes in a short period of time but to say these batteries will damage the product it is used in is really a claim which i believe is less chance of happening compared to getting cancer.

inability to hold charge is completely different issue from a battery which will spike and damage the circuitry. and i highly doubt so cause there should be a capacitor or stabliser which will regulate the voltage and current.

Some electrical engineer perhaps can explain better ..
all batteries do not provide constant voltage/current - close but not constant. there will be fluctuations. Just like our home 240 volts power point and every single electrical device. It can be measured but i can't remember exactly how using an oscilloscope/or similar device.
But every device is made to operate given a certain range/tolerance.

To believe everything in the manual is correct is also another assumption. These are written by engineers and we know how careless they are. Just like every single web article or book we read, nothing is 100% right.

In the industry we also know of manufacturers buying from supplies who just brand them. Just like our car oil , anyone can brand your own car oil. The bases are all the same.

sorry if i sound offensive but I am just trying to explain from a scientific point of view which most of us have basic knowledge. I am not trying to argue using belief or faith or trust in the manual or company name.

Last edited:
D90 user group becomes a battleground... sigh

so what batteries are authorised for the nikon flash? they consume higher current. now don't tell me any decent battery will suffice?

I have used cheap batteries for items in the house before an i know some of them which just cannot hold its charge for long and just depletes in a short period of time but to say these batteries will damage the product it is used in is really a claim which i believe is less chance of happening compared to getting cancer.

inability to hold charge is completely different issue from a battery which will spike and damage the circuitry. and i highly doubt so cause there should be a capacitor or stabliser which will regulate the voltage and current.

Some electrical engineer perhaps can explain better ..
all batteries do not provide constant voltage/current - close but not constant. there will be fluctuations. Just like our home 240 volts power point and every single electrical device. It can be measured but i can't remember exactly how using an oscilloscope/or similar device.
But every device is made to operate given a certain range/tolerance.

To believe everything in the manual is correct is also another assumption. These are written by engineers and we know how careless they are. Just like every single web article or book we read, nothing is 100% right.

In the industry we also know of manufacturers buying from supplies who just brand them. Just like our car oil , anyone can brand your own car oil. The bases are all the same.

sorry if i sound offensive but I am just trying to explain from a scientific point of view which most of us have basic knowledge. I am not trying to argue using belief or faith or trust in the manual or company name.

well, don't make sweeping statements like the probability of getting cancer if you do not have the statistics behind you.

it's funny how you like to use the word "scientific" but then you make statements without facts.

btw, I doubt electrical engineers know more about batteries than chemical engineers or material scienctists. Batteries rely on a difference in chemical potentials, which is the driving force.

anyway, this is way off topic.
all I was trying to say earlier is: buyer of 3rd party batteries beware.

peace!

Yo, like to check with u guys where is the D90 made one?

Cos i saw my one made in thailand.

i think enough has been said about the 3rd party battery vs the original one. as a newbie i hope to see more topics being discussed that will benefit us all. let us move forward brothers. for any misunderstanding...i suggest you settle it among yourselves via PM or email so as not to occupy too much space on this website.

peace brothers. ;)

thanks bro.

Went to check, saw that even D300s also made in thailand one. Only D700 n above made in japan.

Think part of the cost goes to there.

To each his /her own.

No need for such exchange over batteries.

Else I will close this thread.

Actually bro, I think all the battery discussions should be taken into a new thread.

These opinions will arise every now and then.

It is the tendency of humans esp Singaporeans to save, and if there is a cheaper alternative there will be someone to try them.

Do I have cheaper and non-original batteries? Sure... I even have them in my phones.
Do I agree the charge on my original battery last longer, sure...

As you mentioned, to each his own, but the points presented deserve some airing, otherwise someone, somewhere again either in the D 90 or other camera thread will post again!

After all we are Singaporean...

So how about a "Nikon Battery Discussion thread - do you have OEM or originals"

Cheers

Anyone uses AIS lens with the D90?

Is it worth the trouble??

Hi all

Just a quick qn: I read on some stranger's blog that he used panoramic assist with his D90. I can't for the life of me, find that feature in D90. Am I missing something here?

Any advice will be great... thanks in advance!

Cheers

Hi all, I've just joined the D90 club as a newbie/noob....

Got the promo package from SLR Revo as recommended by fellow forumers @ $1,627...they gave that bag which is rather big to carry around...

Can you guys kindly recommend a compact carrying bag for me, which I am planning to put in the bundled 18-105mm lens kit and the body only? Preferably the price to be less than $100 and where i can find it too...THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Hi all, I've just joined the D90 club as a newbie/noob....

Got the promo package from SLR Revo as recommended by fellow forumers @ $1,627...they gave that bag which is rather big to carry around...

Can you guys kindly recommend a compact carrying bag for me, which I am planning to put in the bundled 18-105mm lens kit and the body only? Preferably the price to be less than $100 and where i can find it too...THANKS IN ADVANCE!

well if you like fashion.. can consider the Crumpler's 5MD bag.. which cost a $100 with DBS Live Fresh Credit card now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.