Cut Throat Cam Shops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Azure
:devil:
Howzabout we (as in 3-4 of us) go down and kar-chiow them back in return? .....
:devil:

let me know if you're going down. I want my revenge! :devil:

Originally posted by sfhuang
let me know if you're going down. I want my revenge! :devil:

what have they done to you >? :D

This happen to me at S@@@ B@@@@@@.Let it be a lesson to everyone.

I was totally a newbie back than and was looking for canon S30.Didn't really get to know about CP or AP at that time.Went to SB and ask for the price of S30 and was approach by an almost bald headed guy.I must say that his attitude towards customer is top-notch.That's why i was con. :(

Quote me around 900 with an additional battery which i think it was really fine with me(but there's a catch).I say ok no problem.Then he say i got to add GST to it.I told him to waived it lah but insisted that it's a must...i really didn't earn any commision...got to pay goverment....a must policy...etc.

I think alright...seems ok cause GST is being charge to almost everything.Then i fork out my money and paid him $900++ with GST in cash.

After walking out from the i check my S30 and battery again.I found out that he gave me a OME battery which i didn't pointed out to him at the first place.I went back to him and ask him that he didn't gave me the original battery.Oh you want original battery ah.ok it's $140.

I was really pissed already but fine.I will get it...then he said:Oh i got to add GST to it.Then in the end i got to pay him another 100+!Total added will be around $1050++

After paying him everything.I went of and was totally unhappy with what i have gotten.I didn't really want to take it out any do anything with my S30.

That i found out from this forum that S30 only cost $830 with GST and batt $70.I was totally con.I was so fed-up with the cam that i sold it after a few weeks at $800(everything) and got myself a canon A40 from AP at a price that i have been told.

I wouldn't be really happy if i'm using my S30 as compare to my A40.Let it be a lesson to all and check out prices from HWZ or Clubsnap before you regret.Now i'm a happy A40 user.:)

God Bless HWZ and Clubsnap.

P.S might be going back to disturd them when i ask for A70 price.

I guess these shops manage to survive because they cater mainly to tourists. Their prices may seem cut throat to us, but to tourists, it may seem like a bargain due to the difference in markets, country of manufacture, number of middlemen etc...

Actually.... one have to do some homework before buying anything esp. electronic products where prices are not fixed. But if you are buying products eg. SONY, u can forget about bargaining, cus their prices are fixed for the products as far as i can know.

The worst(also the last so far) experience for me was, i was confident on the price of the DC-Canon S30 was the cheapest around. So i got from this shop at sim lim tower. As the DC doesnt come with a pouch, so i asked for a DC pouch. I was quoted $20 for the perfect fit brandless pouch. The salesman refused to give discount as i had a 'great bargain' for the DC....

....still not end of story.... 2 weeks later(as i get more infomative about DC and shops in SG thru clubsnap), i went to Cp, and fancied a lowepro pouch-much bigger;can put 3 S30s, and it is ALL WEATHER too. Although the price tag put $40..... I was quoted $28 when i bought the item.

...so becareful when buying accessories..... might end up getting the worst bundled price in town....

Originally posted by mpenza
Used to get lousy prices at shops but once I go enough times and get recognised, quotes just dropped.

:dunno:

Same here :D

AP services are quite good for me. Thats b4 i joined ClubSNAP.... My friend and i went down to get S30.. i forgot whats the price..anyway got the set and went off...when home liao, my friend saw a dead pixel or wadever on the LCD...went back and changed to a new set without question asked. One of the sales person named Sam...did the transaction for us. We were satisfied with their service. (Thats where i bought my ex-G3 and my present D60!)
:thumbsup:

For my camera accessories... i often get them from Alan Photo. Its becos they have good attitude towards me...although sometimes the price is few dollar difference...i will still get from them. ;)

I recall someone had a story to tell from their shopping experience at Harvey Norman a month or two ago? Something to do with a D100, if my memory serves me right.

Originally posted by SniperD
haha... right.. no worries coz their price fixed and high above the rest... buying from them equals to telling yourself to go hang your self.. hahah....

;p

agree. these places are good if you want to buy on credit.

There is only one nice fella( old guy) at AP.
But as a group they suck big time.
I can stand at the counter for at least 10mins while the guys are doing something else. No service quality.
Just because there is demand , they think thay can ignore buyers.
Sucks Man !!

Originally posted by newuser
Last year when I was looking for a vid-cam, I went to a shop in SLS Lvl 1, and asked to see some Panasonic vid-cams, the salesman "looked" very friendly and recommended me a model and quoted me $1800 and then immediately gave me a "discount" to $1600 with 3 free Mini-DV tapes (they don't worth much)

Initially I was surprised by his sudden automatic "discount" when I did not even start to bargain and admit I was almost lured into believing it was a good deal.

However, I told him I had to wait for my pay day and was only looking around.
Later I went to AP, and inquire abt the same model of the vid-cam and was surprised to be quoted $1500 (includ GST) directly. (at that time, I was not a regular there and no one in AP knew me)

I was shocked to know that the "great discount" given by the other shop was still higher than another shop w/o discount.

I guess if I was a tourist, I would likely to have bought from the first shop believing I got a great deal.

From then on, I never step into that shop and never recommend that shop to my friends.
Anyway, the shop is always "empty" on Sat and Sun, as compared to AP, for a good reason.

by the way, it's next to S@@g Br@@@@@@. near the entrance/exit of SLS.

One of the trick that some shop use is to quote a ridiculously low price and then when you want to buy :

> they say out of stock
> must buy with other accesories to get that pricing
> Not local warranty say it is local

Name of shop u noe lah S%ng B4ot%er

I always get my stuff from 2 shops so far SlS NO%EL Photo, good pricin on their CF card and cam and also MS Col^ur at A%g Mo K%^. i feel pai sei sometimes cuase usualy i want sometihing will go back and forth in and out for 5 X or more but they still veri friendly.

I also had some bad experiences at Lucky Plaza and SLS. Recently I was there looking for Canon MV600i and was nearly conned by this shop just next to S%ng B4ot&er... Luckily sense prevailed over me and I said that I am just comparing the prices.. the guy got so angry that he nearly shouted at me.. When I frowned back at him, he got a little calm and started offering N discounts.. Pissed I already was, I walked out..

CP has been fairly good except at one occassion when I was looking for 28-135IS lens.. I asked for an e-quote and then visited the shop.. An elderly chap approached me and I asked the price.. The price was at least 250 more than what they had quoted.. When I said I had an equote, he said oh there was some mistake and then agreed to give me the lens at equote price..

But John 3:16 has been a pleasure.. You have the luxury to test the eqpt, Sam shares all the details with you and you are not forced to buy.. You could just say, thanks sam I will take a while to decide.. Price wise I find them quite comeptetive as CP and AP.

Originally posted by Ericana
There is only one nice fella( old guy) at AP.
But as a group they suck big time.
I can stand at the counter for at least 10mins while the guys are doing something else. No service quality.
Just because there is demand , they think thay can ignore buyers.
Sucks Man !!
:thumbsup:

Originally posted by dragius
One of the trick that some shop use is to quote a ridiculously low price and then when you want to buy :

> they say out of stock
> must buy with other accesories to get that pricing
> Not local warranty say it is local

Name of shop u noe lah S%ng B4ot%er

I always get my stuff from 2 shops so far SlS NO%EL Photo, good pricin on their CF card and cam and also MS Col^ur at A%g Mo K%^. i feel pai sei sometimes cuase usualy i want sometihing will go back and forth in and out for 5 X or more but they still veri friendly.

I recall there was a thread in HWZ some time back, where one guy said that his foreign visitor friend bought a video camera from this shop and found the ac adapter missing when he got back to the hotel. Called back and was told to pay for it. So they went to police + Small Tribunals Court to lodge a complaint. In the end, the shop gave in, but not without all this hassle and mess of getting the authorities involved and a very bad shopping experience for the visitor friend.

Actually had an odd experience at AP before. Walked in to buy a Oly 2100 (first time there).

Anyway, one of the salesguys approached me and I asked to have a look then asked him the price.
To my surprise he asked me if I had been quoted before and thans to CS forum, I told him my friend bought his for $xxx and so I got it for that price.

Is this supposed to be a good or bad experience? Should be good lah I think.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.