Canon 60D: Homerun or Disappointment?

60D: Home Run or Big Disappoinment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The same can be said for 50D when it first came out, that camera was slammed too. But now everyone seems to love that cam.

And the same can be said for the 7D. When it first came out, everybody was complaining about its "alleged" focusing problems. Now that people have had time to play with it and figure it out, it has become a very respectable camera. Even the 5D2 had banding issues early on, but you don't hear much about that anymore.

after reading the first few post, they were saying its made of plastic frame? but I was reading a review and it states as quote

"Canon's new dSLR has an ISO range of 100 to 6,400 (expandable to 12,800). It uses the Digic 4 image engine and the camera body is made of a tough magnesium alloy. As for cthe ontinuous shooting rate, the 60D can rattle off at 5.3fps. "

:bigeyes::bigeyes: cheers looking forward to this ..

after reading the first few post, they were saying its made of plastic frame? but I was reading a review and it states as quote

"Canon's new dSLR has an ISO range of 100 to 6,400 (expandable to 12,800). It uses the Digic 4 image engine and the camera body is made of a tough magnesium alloy. As for cthe ontinuous shooting rate, the 60D can rattle off at 5.3fps. "

:bigeyes::bigeyes: cheers looking forward to this ..

the frame will always be made of metal. its the outer shell that is made of plastic. :sweat:

the frame will always be made of metal. its the outer shell that is made of plastic. :sweat:

really?

nope. i think the lower end bodies has plastics skeletal.

Anyway my perception is that 7D is actually the '60D' but marketing got greedy and decided to spin it into 7D and still able to sell a differentiated 60D.
Kudos to Canon. Buyers are in a way too finely segmented. :(

but I was reading a review and it states as quote

i would like to know which site you were reading.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos60d/

With the 60D Canon has unashamedly moved the X0D range out of the 'semi pro' bracket and instead focused on the enthusiast photographer looking to upgrade from their Rebel. As a result, it's not the obvious continuation of the 30D - 40D - 50D pattern that its naming might suggest. Rather than being a direct upgrade replacement for the 50D, it's perhaps better understood as a 'Super Rebel.'

So gone is the magnesium alloy construction that featured in previous models.

The SD card thing sounds like a bit of mis-fire on Canon's part for existing CF already users looking to go up the XXD models. But it will be a nice entry higher end camera for new adopters - targetted at audiences in the midway fight against the D90 / D300 segment.

Looking on the other side... maybe Canon purposely made it such that u have to think of the 7D next :devil::devil::devil:

ryan

Well.... yes..... and no... I thought about 7D.... but now.... I am thinking of getting the 50D after 60D land in SG as I bet 50D price should drop..... and delay my lens purchase.....

Last time... all DSLR uses CF... then, now.... this is causing a bit of problem for me..... If they have SD then, and I went SD... it is not so much of a hassle for me.... I have a pns... and it uses SD.... but my CF will be collecting dust then..... or I could go 60D still.....

But 7D is so cool.... and upgrading to 7D... I will be save for 5 yrs till next upgrade I think.... :confused:

Last edited:
Well.... yes..... and no... I thought about 7D.... but now.... I am thinking of getting the 50D after 60D land in SG as I bet 50D price should drop..... and delay my lens purchase.....

Last time... all DSLR uses CF... then, now.... this is causing a bit of problem for me..... If they have SD then, and I went SD... it is not so much of a hassle for me.... I have a pns... and it uses SD.... but my CF will be collecting dust then..... or I could go 60D still.....

But 7D is so cool.... and upgrading to 7D... I will be save for 5 yrs till next upgrade I think.... :confused:

then get 7D and save yourself the time and trouble of having to keep changing cameras

then get 7D and save yourself the time and trouble of having to keep changing cameras

Thanks for your encouragement.... now... need to budget carefully..... eat air for breakfast, water for lunch.... some weed, and grasses.... lol...... :bsmilie::bsmilie:

My problem is budget and have to plan carefully on it;)...

look like your pns is enough for you...5 yrs later, may be 35D .....(7x5)

really?

nope. i think the lower end bodies has plastics skeletal.

Anyway my perception is that 7D is actually the '60D' but marketing got greedy and decided to spin it into 7D and still able to sell a differentiated 60D.
Kudos to Canon. Buyers are in a way too finely segmented. :(

nope. u are wrong. even the 550D is a metal chassis.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos60d/page3.asp

read the 2nd paragraph. its plastic parts over the metal chassis.

550D Chassis Description

2nd para again.

Last edited:
I am using 550D. I started with a 350D, then 450D and now 550D. Before you go buy a 7D, you have to ask yourself... what do you need to do with the 7D that you cannot do with a 550D? They have the same sensor, so unless you are shooting sports, or birds and flight, etc... a xxxD is good enough. I shoot mainly family, friends, and travel. I also have a small home studio to play with. I have absolutely no desire to shoot the birds and the bees, F1 cars, football players, etc... Even if I do, I bet I can get decent shots out of my 550D on those few occasions.

The best part is... the 550D is light. I was over the moon when I learned that Canon put the 7D sensor in the 550D. It's exactly what I need.

I am using 550D. I started with a 350D, then 450D and now 550D. Before you go buy a 7D, you have to ask yourself... what do you need to do with the 7D that you cannot do with a 550D? They have the same sensor, so unless you are shooting sports, or birds and flight, etc... a xxxD is good enough. I shoot mainly family, friends, and travel. I also have a small home studio to play with. I have absolutely no desire to shoot the birds and the bees, F1 cars, football players, etc... Even if I do, I bet I can get decent shots out of my 550D on those few occasions.

The best part is... the 550D is light. I was over the moon when I learned that Canon put the 7D sensor in the 550D. It's exactly what I need.

I agree with you, although i think that 18mp is overkill. Unless u r a professional that needs to shoot sports and serious wildlife often, i think the 550D will be good enough. But that said, 7D is definitely a better camera than the 550D and if u r going to use the features, no harm going for it

NO DIGIC 5 Arrrrrrgh!!!! I was waiting for it!!!!

Well.... each of us have different needs.... the cross type focusing point itself is already a big factor for me... I have numerous focusing problem with 400D that cannot lock focus at the pt I selected.... I shoot some assignment at time, and it is a problem.....

No doubt 60D have the same sensor... cross type of auto focus too... but I have $200++ worth of CF card and I do not want to start with SD card... and have so many cards.... It will be collecting dusts....

The control of 7D is much more superior, and have the joystick control. My 400D does not have spot meter.... Weather seal is a good to have, but not that important.... 50D also have... 8fps is not so important... nor is the body... 50/7D have good grip, but my 400D grip is a problem if I shoot too long as my digit will aches.... poor ergonomic design of the 400D....

Frankly, I would bought 60D if it is on CF card..... Now, I am thinking 50D or 7D..... Most likely, if I buy 50D, I might look at 7D.. but if I buy 7D... I will not buy a cam that soon..... Still there are function in 7D that is interesting and good to explore... ;)

I agree with you, although i think that 18mp is overkill. Unless u r a professional that needs to shoot sports and serious wildlife often, i think the 550D will be good enough. But that said, 7D is definitely a better camera than the 550D and if u r going to use the features, no harm going for it

That is my point. The features of the 7D may be useful, but I do not really need them to get good shots. But the 7D is considerably bigger and heavier. If they can make the 7D as small and light as the 550D, then I'd buy it. If they can make it even smaller and lighter, I'd pay even more for it.

I see this very often... my friends and family frequently have very fancy cameras. Just a couple of weeks back, we had a gathering with a couple of friends and their kids. A friend came by with his Nikon D300. Kids were running around and I could barely keep up... but this guy, was shooting single shots of the kids. It's like aim, focus, shoot... aim, focus, shoot. I was firing off at least 3 shots at a time. A person with his shooting style, does not need a camera with high fps. My point is... most people are not making use of the features of their excellent cameras... which makes it a real waste. OK, they have money and they can spend it whatever way they like... but do they know that they are lugging around unnecessary weight? I find the extra weight a real pain.

I have another theory... I think a lot of people buy the best cameras so that they can show them off to their friends. They are not making use of most of the features. For me, I upgrade my camera only when there is a real need. I just bought my 550D last week because the high ISO noise of the 450D was rather distracting. I am shooting ISO800 and 1600 a lot these days as my daughter is at the age where she runs around... and I really need to keep the shutter speed at 1/500. The noise level of my 450D was too high. The 550D with the excellent sensor is so much better.

That is my point. The features of the 7D may be useful, but I do not really need them to get good shots. But the 7D is considerably bigger and heavier. If they can make the 7D as small and light as the 550D, then I'd buy it. If they can make it even smaller and lighter, I'd pay even more for it.

I see this very often... my friends and family frequently have very fancy cameras. Just a couple of weeks back, we had a gathering with a couple of friends and their kids. A friend came by with his Nikon D300. Kids were running around and I could barely keep up... but this guy, was shooting single shots of the kids. It's like aim, focus, shoot... aim, focus, shoot. I was firing off at least 3 shots at a time. A person with his shooting style, does not need a camera with high fps. My point is... most people are not making use of the features of their excellent cameras... which makes it a real waste. OK, they have money and they can spend it whatever way they like... but do they know that they are lugging around unnecessary weight? I find the extra weight a real pain.

I have another theory... I think a lot of people buy the best cameras so that they can show them off to their friends. They are not making use of most of the features. For me, I upgrade my camera only when there is a real need. I just bought my 550D last week because the high ISO noise of the 450D was rather distracting. I am shooting ISO800 and 1600 a lot these days as my daughter is at the age where she runs around... and I really need to keep the shutter speed at 1/500. The noise level of my 450D was too high. The 550D with the excellent sensor is so much better.
u cannot said it like that, people buy a camera also coz of the feel, some is comfortable with lighter and smaller body while the other is comfortable with big heavy one(like me :D) coz from what u said i get that u prefer smaller and lighter body, and another thing, u said that he didn't use the full potential of D300?? u know that it has a AF of 51-point & 15 cross-type right which make focusing is much2 faster and accurate, not all people buy camera judging by the burst speed alone there's just to many aspect that cannot be said as useful or not and in the end it's the image produced that count :D.

Last edited:
in a nutshell, people tend to give all kinds of reasons to justify their purchases.

just enjoy your camera, no need to think so much.

Well.... each of us have different needs.... the cross type focusing point itself is already a big factor for me... I have numerous focusing problem with 400D that cannot lock focus at the pt I selected.... I shoot some assignment at time, and it is a problem.....

No doubt 60D have the same sensor... cross type of auto focus too... but I have $200++ worth of CF card and I do not want to start with SD card... and have so many cards.... It will be collecting dusts....

The control of 7D is much more superior, and have the joystick control. My 400D does not have spot meter.... Weather seal is a good to have, but not that important.... 50D also have... 8fps is not so important... nor is the body... 50/7D have good grip, but my 400D grip is a problem if I shoot too long as my digit will aches.... poor ergonomic design of the 400D....

Frankly, I would bought 60D if it is on CF card..... Now, I am thinking 50D or 7D..... Most likely, if I buy 50D, I might look at 7D.. but if I buy 7D... I will not buy a cam that soon..... Still there are function in 7D that is interesting and good to explore... ;)

Bro CF card can sell it off in BnS, price wont drop too much....this shldnt be ur concern..SD card is affordable too...or if u cant sell, can still keep it for ur 400D, don think u will be able to sell ur 400D away now, unless u drop it to $300++...

Im using a 400D now, frankly speaking, with the batt grip, its perfectly good to go! quite surprise if u didnt buy that. ermm the focusing is an issue this i agree...:)

in ur case, i think 7D suits u...but then again, must go try the weight!, i carry my 400D w batt grip..and i just need 1.5hrs on my neck, n i can feel de strain....when im overseas, it is a torture...so before u get 7D, the weight is realli an issue...

And serious i think weather seal is good....i experienced my 400D dying off me in cold weathers....

I have decided to get a 60D upgrade...a 50D don make sense..getting the 50D might as well get a 40D...

Status
Not open for further replies.