Canon 60D: Homerun or Disappointment?

60D: Home Run or Big Disappoinment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

raydio

Jun 25, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Now that the 60D has been announced and most of us have had a chance to look at the specs do you feel that Canon has hit a home run or have they let us down?

In case you haven't seen the specs, here are the key ones:

* 18 MP APS-C CMOS sensor
* Advanced creative features with Basic +
* Vari-angle 7.7cm (3.0”) 3:2 ratio LCD
* Full HD movies with manual control
* DIGIC 4
* ISO 100-6400, H:12800
* 5.3fps shooting for up to 58 JPEGs
* 9-point cross type AF System
* iFCL metering with 63-zone Dual-layer Sensor
* Integrated Speedlite transmitter
* In-camera RAW processing

If you were planning to buy this camera, have your plans changed?

great camera specs. no other brands got anything that comes close. what else do u want in an affordable package? :D

I am quite disappointed with it.. I was hoping it would be a bit like 7D but just watered down version of it... WHY plastic body.. Dun understand..

I am quite disappointed with it.. I was hoping it would be a bit like 7D but just watered down version of it... WHY plastic body.. Dun understand..

the same sensor as the 7D, same movie recording, same metering algorithm, same wireless flash control. what else do u want? hahaha. then why don't get a 7D then? :sweat:

yup,I feel shocked too when I know the body will be in plastic...:cry:

I read the specs and I thought if I had happened to be buying a camera at this point in time, I'd be aiming for 60D. As for plastic, well, let's just say I'm kinda used to it anyway. Haha.

I think that they are trying to compete with the Nikon D90 which also has a plastic body. Price will also be very competitive against the D90. However.......

the D90 is long due for an upgrade and if this is all Canon could do to match the D90, then Nikon's upgraded cousin will likely put the Canon to bed (IMHO). The Canon 60D doesn't even have the micro-adjust feature.

This is just speculation, but I'll bet that the 2nd hand price of the Canon 50D will not go down too far as a result of the 60D upgrade from Canon. There are still a few key features that the 50D has over the 60D..... the micro-adjust feature being one of them.

I think that they are trying to compete with the Nikon D90 which also has a plastic body. Price will also be very competitive against the D90. However.......

the D90 is long due for an upgrade and if this is all Canon could do to match the D90, then Nikon's upgraded cousin will likely put the Canon to bed (IMHO). The Canon 60D doesn't even have the micro-adjust feature.

This is just speculation, but I'll bet that the 2nd hand price of the Canon 50D will not go down too far as a result of the 60D upgrade from Canon. There are still a few key features that the 50D has over the 60D..... the micro-adjust feature being one of them.

don't need to jump the gun. the D90 replacement is yet to be launched and canon movie specs has been way better than nikon's for the past 2 years. lol.

this feels like the upgrade from 500D to 550D, cept in a big body and the articulating screen.

Actually I kinda like the plastic body....lightweight to move around. I think it is the 7D that cause the xxD to reposition itself to become the "Super-Rebel" as described by Dpreview.

So will the focusing be better than the XXXD? I am having a headache with the focusing on my 400D, so looking forward to a better focusing machine that comes with an economy price tag.

my friend has been hoping canon comes out with something that is similar to the nikon d80 in size for a long time and this is what he has been waiting for.

The Canon 60D is supposed to be smaller in size than the 50D. Is the Nikon D80 smaller too? :dunno:

Actually I kinda like the plastic body....lightweight to move around. I think it is the 7D that cause the xxD to reposition itself to become the "Super-Rebel" as described by Dpreview.

So will the focusing be better than the XXXD? I am having a headache with the focusing on my 400D, so looking forward to a better focusing machine that comes with an economy price tag.

I think that you are right about the repositioning. Don't know about the better focusing, but from what I saw in the 60D specs, it won't be that much different the 550D except for higher fps.

The Canon 60D is supposed to be smaller in size than the 50D. Is the Nikon D80 smaller too? :dunno:

yes. it is.

sidebyside1-001.jpg

I think that you are right about the repositioning. Don't know about the better focusing, but from what I saw in the 60D specs, it won't be that much different the 550D except for higher fps.

15 cross point af on the 60D vs 9 pt af with centre cross af on the 550D

if you look at the spec comparison in dpreview.com, it is apparent due to the 7D, the 60D is repositioned not as a direct upgrade to 50D but to better align between 7D and xxxD series.

somewhat disappointed though; would've loved an enhanced 11 AF pts or so to cover more of the thirds corners.

was thinking of jumping ship to pentax but i think im gonna stay on with canon for awhile :D

Status
Not open for further replies.