Canon 60D: Homerun or Disappointment?

60D: Home Run or Big Disappoinment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
the frame will always be made of metal. its the outer shell that is made of plastic. :sweat:

really?
nope. i think the lower end bodies has plastics skeletal.

Flipfreak is correct. From this reliable source, even the lowly Rebel bodies are built that way:

"The 550D inherits the 450D and 500D's body and construction, and other than the surface finish and minor tweaks to the casing, it stays essentially the same. As such, it's primarily made from three materials; a stainless steel chassis, the mirror box which is made of high-strength 'engineering plastic' and the body made of a special lightweight polycarbonate resin with glass fiber, which also provides some electromagnetic shielding."

That is why the Rebel bodies can survive hard knocks such as the ones described here and here.

Last edited:
The same can be said for 50D when it first came out, that camera was slammed too. But now everyone seems to love that cam.

That is because (a) Sony (A55) and Nikon (upcoming D7000) are finally releasing APS-C cameras with high pixel densities, so all that b***hing about high pixel noise and diffraction has died a quick and sudden death (much as I had predicted long ago) (b) the price of 50D has come down to a more 'acceptable' level.

In my mind, Canon's 15 MP APS-C sensor is still a bit iffy compared to their own 18 MP equivalent.

If the 60D price is merely US$100 (or S$150) more than the Rebel, there won't be so many disgruntled folks.

And the same can be said for the 7D. When it first came out, everybody was complaining about its "alleged" focusing problems.

Actually, the flaws are still there. Try using single shot mode with auto AF point selection. It's a disaster. Just that people have come to accept and live with the 7D issues.

Last edited:
Bro CF card can sell it off in BnS, price wont drop too much....this shldnt be ur concern..SD card is affordable too...or if u cant sell, can still keep it for ur 400D, don think u will be able to sell ur 400D away now, unless u drop it to $300++...

Im using a 400D now, frankly speaking, with the batt grip, its perfectly good to go! quite surprise if u didnt buy that. ermm the focusing is an issue this i agree...:)

in ur case, i think 7D suits u...but then again, must go try the weight!, i carry my 400D w batt grip..and i just need 1.5hrs on my neck, n i can feel de strain....when im overseas, it is a torture...so before u get 7D, the weight is realli an issue...

And serious i think weather seal is good....i experienced my 400D dying off me in cold weathers....

I have decided to get a 60D upgrade...a 50D don make sense..getting the 50D might as well get a 40D...

I am not a camera trader, so I usually do not sell what I use before... and my cards have all been pretty much abused by me..... and some sticker are missing, etc......

Oh... I did buy the battery grip... I did go shooting for 2hr + for my friend restaurant before... 400D w/ grip, 17-40 & 430...... my issue is when shooting landscape, the 400D is too shallow, and my set up, I use hand strap without any neck strap etc.... so I am quite used to this weight....

I know the 7D weight is heavier... I tried 7D without grip and it was ok.... but dunno how it will it be with grip.... but the image look stunning when I saw it..... that itself is a reason for you to jump to 7D..... beside, fantastic ergonomic..... and function, and design.....

If you are getting the 60D... wait for around 3 months later after launch... this is my usual practice... I wait for price to settle down first before buying..... and if any production issue, the second batch will be resolved.... ;)

7D is better upgrade than 60D dunno the price difference?

60D lacking some features...
solid feel of magnesium alloy now all plastic...
5.3fps rate (almost on par with my 20d)
SD card (most xxD upgraders still prefer CF)

However some good features with full HD video, High res. screen tilting screen...

Actually, the flaws are still there. Try using single shot mode with auto AF point selection. It's a disaster. Just that people have come to accept and live with the 7D issues.

I agree. When I first purchased my 7D, I brought it into the Canon Service Centre for this very reason. When I got it back, it improved slightly but was still a major head-ache. I've never used this mode since.

Last edited:
There is a feature of the 60D that I just read about and didn't know until now. There is a locking mechanism in the mode dial. You have to press the centre button before changing the settings on the mode dial. A small feature, but a nice one. I wish that other Canon cameras had this.

modedial.jpg

There is a feature of the 60D that I just read about and didn't know until now. There is a locking mechanism in the mode dial. You have to press the centre button before changing the settings on the mode dial. A small feature, but a nice one. I wish that other Canon cameras had this.

modedial.jpg

i dont see how it would be useful over the 50D's current though.
Including a locking mechanism makes changing modes a 2 step process and I find the 50D's mode select dial to be very stiff...just the way I like it. It gives a feel of ruggedness

Not once in my 8 months of owning it have encountered a situation where my mode dial rotated unexpectedly:dunno:

btw does anyone know if the 60D has this thing called "auto lighting optimizer" which 5550D has?

was using a 550D instead of my very own 500D that day
this feature or "gimmick" allowed me to not process my pictures at all (for levels and curves adjustments)

i dont see how it would be useful over the 50D's current though.
Including a locking mechanism makes changing modes a 2 step process and I find the 50D's mode select dial to be very stiff...just the way I like it. It gives a feel of ruggedness

Not once in my 8 months of owning it have encountered a situation where my mode dial rotated unexpectedly:dunno:

I agree. I have found my 50D's mode dial to be quite stiff also and have not experienced the mode dial changing unexpectedly. However, others have reported this issue and would benefit from a locking mechanism regardless if it is an additional step. It all depends on usage.

I remember owning a Sony PnP some years ago.... the most frustrating thing about it was the mode dial changing so easily. That experience is still with me, so when I see a feature like the new locking feature on the 60D, I give it two thumbs up... :thumbsup::thumbsup: ;)

I agree. I have found my 50D's mode dial to be quite stiff also and have not experienced the mode dial changing unexpectedly. However, others have reported this issue and would benefit from a locking mechanism regardless if it is an additional step. It all depends on usage.

I remember owning a Sony PnP some years ago.... the most frustrating thing about it was the mode dial changing so easily. That experience is still with me, so when I see a feature like the new locking feature on the 60D, I give it two thumbs up... :thumbsup::thumbsup: ;)

Maybe it was accidentally turned when u remove the cam from ur bag or when it was in the bag with too much stuffs? I encountered that sometimes.

same here never turn the dial accidently and it requires a bit of effort to turn it u know(if it's in tiptop condition i assume), to hv an extra lock would be more trouble some than a useful thing IMO

I think the locking feature is given due to many 7d users complain about accidentally turn the knob. I'm one of them so I would say this is a welcome feature.

For me, I upgrade my camera only when there is a real need. I just bought my 550D last week because the high ISO noise of the 450D was rather distracting. I am shooting ISO800 and 1600 a lot these days as my daughter is at the age where she runs around... and I really need to keep the shutter speed at 1/500. The noise level of my 450D was too high. The 550D with the excellent sensor is so much better.

Does the 550D focus well on kids who are running about? I am currently having the 400D and it is hell of pain with the focusing even with my 50mm F1.4 when I am trying to snap my daughter. The 60D sure look tempting to me because of the size and weight with better function. Will love to have the 5D or 7D but they are heavy tankers to move around when I having family outing. I have tried the 550D at the canon showroom, the focusing speed is slightly improve from the 400D, 50D and above seem to be doing better.

Can I conclude that the focusing is a jump for the xxD and above?

Does the 550D focus well on kids who are running about? I am currently having the 400D and it is hell of pain with the focusing even with my 50mm F1.4 when I am trying to snap my daughter. The 60D sure look tempting to me because of the size and weight with better function. Will love to have the 5D or 7D but they are heavy tankers to move around when I having family outing. I have tried the 550D at the canon showroom, the focusing speed is slightly improve from the 400D, 50D and above seem to be doing better.

the multiple cross sensors should help alot

Have you tried AI servo rather than one shot? For moving subjects like children, BIF, animals, cars, planes, sports, etc., AI servo is the way to go. One Shot is for still subjects only.

Hi, An indicator on camera body to unlock Mode Dial before turning is useful to prevent damage
to it.

Have you tried AI servo rather than one shot? For moving subjects like children, BIF, animals, cars, planes, sports, etc., AI servo is the way to go. One Shot is for still subjects only.

Hmmmm....actually I havent try using the AI servo on moving object. I am too use to the One Shot. Maybe I give it a shot but I still remember finding the focusing slow when I tried it sometime ago.....

Hmmmm....actually I havent try using the AI servo on moving object. I am too use to the One Shot. Maybe I give it a shot but I still remember finding the focusing slow when I tried it sometime ago.....

Try "AI Servo" and remember to keep the shutter button depressed halfway to allow the camera to continuously focus on your moving subject. The challenge will be to keep your focus point, "on" the moving subject. If successful, your keeper rate should improve significantly.

Try "AI Servo" and remember to keep the shutter button depressed halfway to allow the camera to continuously focus on your moving subject. The challenge will be to keep your focus point, "on" the moving subject. If successful, your keeper rate should improve significantly.

AI Servo is indeed a usefull AI tracking setting for moving subject but it don't cover the lack of AF tracking speed and accuracy of the body & lens infact by this method u might get a lot more out of focus picture compare to your one shot focus lock if u're not familiar with it

Has anyone heard when the 60D will become available in Singapore?

Status
Not open for further replies.