Uh-oh, it is triggered... :bsmilie:

*sit back and pops popcorn*

espn said:
Uh-oh, it is triggered... :bsmilie:

*sit back and pops popcorn*

What have I got myself into? :dunno:

Jimbotan said:
:)

Do people buy Nikon just for the aperture ring? There is more to a lens (and photography) than an aperture ring, surely..... I have never heard of anyone making a decision on photograpgic equipment based so heavily on an aperture ring.... :bsmilie:
hi jimbotan, guess u do not really know where tetrode is coming from.
i for one, make my lens purchases based on the aperture ring in my Nikkors. i do not own a single G lens.

y so? simply becos i harbour plans in the future to use manual film SLRs again.

Jimbotan said:
How is backward compatibility useful if many do not have the older equipment to use it with? Of course one can buy the non-G lenses if backward compatibility is necessary. Why worry if your current gear is a D2 (for example)? Don't people buy equipment to suit the purpose? Why worry about backward compatibility if there is no need to (as mentioned, if there is a need, then buy non-G lor)....
indeed. but then again, u can't fault tetrode or oldies like me who love manual film SLRs for wanting to use lenses with aperture ring. it is indeed for backward compatibility.

Jimbotan said:
Lenses are all about aperture rings? :sticktong
well, once it was. when Canon ditched their aperture ring to go 'forward' with their EF mount. Nikon remained with their F-Mount and their aperture ring lenses.

Jimbotan said:
So, just having aperture rings allow you to take better photos?
if i'm using a film SLR, i certainly would be able to take better fotos with a lens that has aperture ring. if i'm using an advanced film SLR(F80 and up) or a DSLR, i bet i wouldn't miss it much.

Jimbotan said:
There are many other reasons other than aperture rings (with or without)..... no offense, I find some of your reasonings quite amusing.....:)
amazingly, i dun find his reasonings amusing. i understand his view from a traditional manual film Nikon SLR user who loves his tri-xes to his neopans.

there was once when a huge no. of Nikon users who took part in an online petition to urge Nikon to abandon the plans of using the G lens format for all its future lenses. this is a way forward in Nikon's view which were not shared by most users back then.

i don;t think that i am that affected by the current lens choices as i can always get lenses of the same focal length with the aperture ring. if its a G lens, and if it's equipped with fanciful VR, then let it be. i can always do without VR.

i jus find it exciting to see what Nikon has to offer for its latest range of lenses. this simply helps to mark down the prices of some of the lenses with aperture ring.

G lenses? neh... simply not my cuppa tea.

Cheesecake said:
hi jimbotan, guess u do not really know where tetrode is coming from.
i for one, make my lens purchases based on the aperture ring in my Nikkors. i do not own a single G lens.

y so? simply becos i harbour plans in the future to use manual film SLRs again.

indeed. but then again, u can't fault tetrode or oldies like me who love manual film SLRs for wanting to use lenses with aperture ring. it is indeed for backward compatibility.

well, once it was. when Canon ditched their aperture ring to go 'forward' with their EF mount. Nikon remained with their F-Mount and their aperture ring lenses.

if i'm using a film SLR, i certainly would be able to take better fotos with a lens that has aperture ring. if i'm using an advanced film SLR(F80 and up) or a DSLR, i bet i wouldn't miss it much.

amazingly, i dun find his reasonings amusing. i understand his view from a traditional manual film Nikon SLR user who loves his tri-xes to his neopans.

there was once when a huge no. of Nikon users who took part in an online petition to urge Nikon to abandon the plans of using the G lens format for all its future lenses. this is a way forward in Nikon's view which were not shared by most users back then.

i don;t think that i am that affected by the current lens choices as i can always get lenses of the same focal length with the aperture ring. if its a G lens, and if it's equipped with fanciful VR, then let it be. i can always do without VR.

i jus find it exciting to see what Nikon has to offer for its latest range of lenses. this simply helps to mark down the prices of some of the lenses with aperture ring.

G lenses? neh... simply not my cuppa tea.
While I see your points, but it's not valid for the majority these days who own DSLRs and/or AF SLRs.

If Nikon chose to go ahead with VR, SWM and G type glasses, you have the option to not to follow and like you said, go with older AI, AI-S/P glasses or glasses with aperture rings.

The FM bodies are already stopping and already being replaced by DSLRs and AF SLRs. It will be a time to move on sooner later. The majority of those holding a body capable of G glasses is not something that we can deny of.

It's Nikon's choice to go ahead and replace then nothing we can do. I do not deny the fact that it might not be good for the old timers, but it's a fact that Nikon's moving forward towards the digital age and phasing out even film bodies like F6, won't be surprised a F7 will never appear in the market.

Complaining online and discrediting the use and functionality of what has been achieved through technology just because one doesn't like it being unable to be used on his/her FM body doesn't help one bit.

While the oldies are happy with their FM + AI-S/P. The newbies like me welcome VR/SWM/G. It's a 'pasture's greener on the other side' thingie. I can see your points, but can you see ours?

It's about understanding both view points and where the points meet. It's irritating when one doesn't meet the point but goes beyond it. That's my only complain. And it's irritating to keep discrediting it because you cannot use it and it doesn't suit your taste, we're not the manufacturer, lashing and getting all personal with us ain't going to help.

You don't want to join the group, then just leave it be, why bother to tell us it doesn't work for you and not able to accept our views that it works for us? :dunno:

You can claim a G glass is useless to you, but how can claim that a G glass is a crippled glass? It's not usable on the MF bodies doesn't mean it's not usable on the AF bodies. So similarly, can I claim that AI 50 f/1.2 is a crippled glass because it doesn't focus on AF bodies? :dunno:

Just hope that all these senseless bashing of each sect within the clan can be stopped, we see the points, but you have to see ours too. While you may not welcome the technology, there will certainly be others that do. And while some cannot understand the beauty of MF/film SLRs, there will be others that do.

All in all, KRW rox :lovegrin:

espn said:
While I see your points, but it's not valid for the majority these days who own DSLRs and/or AF SLRs.

If Nikon chose to go ahead with VR, SWM and G type glasses, you have the option to not to follow and like you said, go with older AI, AI-S/P glasses or glasses with aperture rings.

The FM bodies are already stopping and already being replaced by DSLRs and AF SLRs. It will be a time to move on sooner later. The majority of those holding a body capable of G glasses is not something that we can deny of.

It's Nikon's choice to go ahead and replace then nothing we can do. I do not deny the fact that it might not be good for the old timers, but it's a fact that Nikon's moving forward towards the digital age and phasing out even film bodies like F6, won't be surprised a F7 will never appear in the market.

Complaining online and discrediting the use and functionality of what has been achieved through technology just because one doesn't like it being unable to be used on his/her FM body doesn't help one bit.

While the oldies are happy with their FM + AI-S/P. The newbies like me welcome VR/SWM/G. It's a 'pasture's greener on the other side' thingie. I can see your points, but can you see ours?

It's about understanding both view points and where the points meet. It's irritating when one doesn't meet the point but goes beyond it. That's my only complain. And it's irritating to keep discrediting it because you cannot use it and it doesn't suit your taste, we're not the manufacturer, lashing and getting all personal with us ain't going to help.

You don't want to join the group, then just leave it be, why bother to tell us it doesn't work for you and not able to accept our views that it works for us? :dunno:

All in all, KRW rox :lovegrin:
ya i understand ur points too.

i can't help but feel that Nikon really have to make this switch for the good of its products and lenses. of cos i will stand by Nikon's decision if it meant more exciting lenses and the pricing of its older lenses will drop. hahaha

so i jus happily buy lenses with aperture rings, there are plenty of these around with very good pricing, to feed my manual film SLRs passion and my little S2Pro.:thumbsup:

it is simply for practicality reasons la. $$ not enuff to buy different lenses for different camera systems...

i welcome Nikon's progress in its lens making. but to a different tune la.

the no.1 reason why i m using Nikkors and Nikon is becos of HIM!!! KRW!!!!!!!!

he roXxxxXXxx!!!

I LOVE SYLVIA LIM!! I LOVE GLENDA HAN!!!!:heart:

pls do not flame me, i'm jus a newbie. :embrass:

Cheesecake said:
ya i understand ur points too.
Unker, me not replying to you lah :bsmilie: Need me to spell it out meh!!! :kok:

Cheesecake said:
i can't help but feel that Nikon really have to make this switch for the good of its products and lenses. of cos i will stand by Nikon's decision if it meant more exciting lenses and the pricing of its older lenses will drop. hahaha

so i jus happily buy lenses with aperture rings, there are plenty of these around with very good pricing, to feed my manual film SLRs passion and my little S2Pro.:thumbsup:
Sadly the prices for 2nd hand AI-S haven't drop leh, I still want a AI 105 f/2.5 heehee.

Cheesecake said:
the no.1 reason why i m using Nikkors and Nikon is becos of HIM!!! KRW!!!!!!!!

he roXxxxXXxx!!!

I LOVE SYLVIA LIM!! I LOVE GLENDA HAN!!!!:heart:

pls do not flame me, i'm jus a newbie. :embrass:
Piang... u FEE-DOH-FILE ah?

espn said:
Unker, me not replying to you lah :bsmilie: Need me to spell it out meh!!! :kok:

Sadly the prices for 2nd hand AI-S haven't drop leh, I still want a AI 105 f/2.5 heehee.

Piang... u FEE-DOH-FILE ah?
alamak... i know la.

can't help it. was so influenced by mattlock's banner at the WP Rally. :bsmilie:

cheers!!

Cheesecake said:
alamak... i know la.

can't help it. was so influenced by mattlock's banner at the WP Rally. :bsmilie:

cheers!!
Why? Printed KRW rox? :D

espn said:
Why? Printed KRW rox? :D

no leh...

"I LOVE SYLIVA LIM:heart: " big big banner. well done.

opps. o.t liao. wait kena PM again! :bsmilie:

AFS17-35 f2.8D is the lens to get. jus becareful not to get a dud, if u're buying used. the AFS motor is quite volatile. a no. of users experienced the same thing. i too, with my lens being some 5yrs old and the AFS motor gave way last year. :sweat:

I believe the KEYWORD here is respect for individual. Each of us is different; in term of size, experience, liking, views, opinions, and hell lots of others. Even the hills are of different height and green. That is why the world is so beautiful through our lenses.

Coming back to the topic on aperture. When I buy lens, aperture is something I would consider dearly. For low-light conditions, it helps. Don't tell me to use flash, I know more than some of you do, you know...;) Some don't give it a damn! Maybe the application does not require it or maybe $$$. It doesn't really matter at the end of the day. Enjoy what you do and appreciate what you have. Go, go out and shoot.... enjoy the f/1.4, f/2.8, f/3.5-5.6, f/8, f/16, f/22.....

Just my 2-cent. ;)

channel23 said:
I believe the KEYWORD here is respect for individual. Each of us is different; in term of size, experience, liking, views, opinions, and hell lots of others. Even the hills are of different height and green. That is why the world is so beautiful through our lenses.

Coming back to the topic on aperture. When I buy lens, aperture is something I would consider dearly. For low-light conditions, it helps. Don't tell me to use flash, I know more than some of you do, you know...;) Some don't give it a damn! Maybe the application does not require it or maybe $$$. It doesn't really matter at the end of the day. Enjoy what you do and appreciate what you have. Go, go out and shoot.... enjoy the f/1.4, f/2.8, f/3.5-5.6, f/8, f/16, f/22.....

Just my 2-cent. ;)
yes my friend..

respect is important. i agree with u on that.

however................
we were talking abt aperture rings la. not abt the minimum size of the aperture found on the lenses.... ... ... ... ....

just my three cents:cool:

on the topic of aperture rings......

I find it useful...............

in checking dust inside the elements:bsmilie:

Cheesecake said:
yes my friend..

respect is important. i agree with u on that.

however................
we were talking abt aperture rings la. not abt the minimum size of the aperture found on the lenses.... ... ... ... ....

just my three cents:cool:

I know lah... aperture or no aperture (oops, better to state correctly, aperture ring) :sweat: , it doesn't really matter. I am using D-body but prefer my lens with rings. It is just my liking... my preference... etc.

My 2-cent plue your 3-cent, that's 5-cent. ;)

jeffreyk said:
on the topic of aperture rings......

I find it useful...............

in checking dust inside the elements:bsmilie:

no need the aperture ring also can use the lever mah.

That's why I said depends on the individual lor..... it you need backward compatibility, then go ahead and buy the non-G lenses. I never said which is better and which is nonsense.

If you have the more modern bodies and feel comfortable adjusting aperture settings via the camera body, then buying the G-lenses is OK.

To say without qualification that G lenses, VR and DX lenses are "crippled" or something similar is really quite childish.

Anyway, to each his own.... I own and use DX, VR, G, non-G lenses..... and I am happy with all...... :)

Jimbotan said:

That's why I said depends on the individual lor..... it you need backward compatibility, then go ahead and buy the non-G lenses. I never said which is better and which is nonsense.

If you have the more modern bodies and feel comfortable adjusting aperture settings via the camera body, then buying the G-lenses is OK.

To say without qualification that G lenses, VR and DX lenses are "crippled" or something similar is really quite childish.

Anyway, to each his own.... I own and use DX, VR, G, non-G lenses..... and I am happy with all...... :)

In short, in summary, in the end...... Happy tio ho liao lor.... :lovegrin: :thumbsup: ......... ya ya ya.... PP... CST.... PP.... CST.... PP...CST..... and my lift upgrading hopefully cumming... :devil:

N-user said:
In short, in summary, in the end...... Happy tio ho liao lor.... :lovegrin: :thumbsup: .........

Yes :)

Jimbotan said:
Do people buy Nikon just for the aperture ring? There is more to a lens (and photography) than an aperture ring, surely..... I have never heard of anyone making a decision on photograpgic equipment based so heavily on an aperture ring.... :bsmilie:

Hello!
It is not the aperture ring that is the point of the argument but what it represents i.e.Backward compatibility to the most comprehensive SLR system out there. The biggest reason to stick with Nikon isn't there anymore when you invest in G lenses. Without it you are severely restricted in your options within the Nikon system. Why? because, you are cutting yourself off from a lot of useful tools within that system.

If access to this comprehensive system is not your priority/aim, why spend the extra premium to stick with Nikon? When Canon makes just as good cameras and lenses - at a lower premium?

Jimbotan said:
How is backward compatibility useful if many do not have the older equipment to use it with? Of course one can buy the non-G lenses if backward compatibility is necessary. Why worry if your current gear is a D2 (for example)? Don't people buy equipment to suit the purpose? Why worry about backward compatibility if there is no need to (as mentioned, if there is a need, then buy non-G lor)....

See above. Do you make your purchasing decisions on sound technical reasoning or because of the past reputation of the Nikon brand or because your friends own Nikons.

What purposes does the Nikon D2whatever and G lenses fulfil that the equivalent in the Canon range doesn't?

To use your words "Don't people buy equipment to suit the purpose?"...Unless of course, you are buying for other reasons.

I know what my aperture ringed Nikkor lenses afford me in terms of functionality that the Canon EOS lenses don't and can't.

Jimbotan said:
Lenses are all about aperture rings? :sticktong

So, just having aperture rings allow you to take better photos?

Did I say that??? If you knew what the aperture ring is meant for; you wouldn't have asked such silly questions.

Jimbotan said:
There are many other reasons other than aperture rings (with or without)..... no offense, I find some of your reasonings quite amusing.....:)

What can I say? You are easily amused.

Status
Not open for further replies.