17-35mm f2.8 VS 17-55mm f2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

erictan8888

Nov 9, 2004
Singapore
hi,

just wondering on the pros and cons of these 2 lenses....
considering one of this lens....
like to hear your word on the quality of the lenses...

was thinking of using it as potrait as well as landscape...
what you think ?

I have thought of this last month before I buy my 17-35mm f2.8. I prefer to have non-DX lenses so that I still have an option to switch to film of FF if there is any. :)

longkangman said:
no lah because of F13 I think.;p
Bro, I is Friday13 not Nikon leh. If I Nikon I will also not make a lense that zoom backward one. When you going for birds? Take me as your Tu Di can?

erictan8888 said:
was thinking of using it as potrait as well as landscape...
what you think ?
The 17-35 is not so nice in taking portrait, in my opinion. I use the 70-200 for portrait and I think it is much nicer. But 17-35 is great for landscape. I enjoyed using it when I recently walked the treetop trail. I don't own 17-55 so I can't comment.
I prefer non-DX lens just in case one day Nikon increases the sensor size and I strike TOTO to buy new bodies :bsmilie:

originalsin said:
The 17-35 is not so nice in taking portrait, in my opinion. I use the 70-200 for portrait and I think it is much nicer. But 17-35 is great for landscape. I enjoyed using it when I recently walked the treetop trail. I don't own 17-55 so I can't comment.
I prefer non-DX lens just in case one day Nikon increases the sensor size and I strike TOTO to buy new bodies :bsmilie:
Not so nice in taking portraits? Why? If you are looking for just having nice bokeh then this is not the lens for you, might as well get a 85/1.4 or a 50/1.4, hell lot cheaper than 70-200VR for portraits.

59135441.jpg

originalsin said:

markccm said:
really?

KO... yoohoo... where r u?

Depends on how you use the glass... some demonstrations :

AF-S 17-35 f/2.8D
jessie004.jpg

morder007.JPG

Hee.

70-200VR is a good glass basically because it's focal length is longer, so the DOF helps during close up portraits. :)

TMC said:
Not so nice in taking portraits? Why? If you are looking for just having nice bokeh then this is not the lens for you, might as well get a 85/1.4 or a 50/1.4, hell lot cheaper than 70-200VR for portraits.
Using the 17-35 for portrait, the subject appears fatter than normal when I zoom in and "pull" the subject closer (like half-body shot). The features will be slightly out of proportion too. That is why I don't like it for such shots, not bokeh issue.

I only have 2 lenses: 17-35 and 70-200. Since I don't like to use 17-35 for portrait, I use 70-200 loh. For the time being, I'm not prepared to buy more lenses.

3 options to hunt for my next purchase.
D200, 17-35, 17-55, they are in the same price range.
finally, kick out the D200.

really too hard to decide 17-35 or 17-55.

both have pros and cons

need help also, which one I shall look for~~~~

maybe wait for Tamron 17-50? maybe it will be as good as the 28-75?

but still want a good lens can last for years
then 17-55 will filter out since after few years full frame is common already.
then 17-35, but even now i have full frame body, 17-35 range is not good enough
then get the tamron 17-50 to try it first since it is cheap, but I am looking for a good lens
then 17-55, but...
then 17-35, but...

OMG~ faint~
so decide to work more and get more money, buy both~ :sticktong

you wont go wrong with either one. I went with the 17-35 because the 2H price was within my range, which was really low to begin with :bsmilie:

wow... you all just made my decision harder... hee hee :)

hmm.... gotta think some more....xian... :(

17-35 seems to be the more preferred choice here....
but range like not so enough... back to thinking again....

Status
Not open for further replies.