Would you work for $1 Photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your analogy a bit off , to work the $1 photo job need to spend high hundreds or thousand first on a camera . ROI < 1% and one off only

$5/hr at McDonalds I think need to invest in a good pair of shoes and perhaps underwear , definitely less than $100 . theoretically should be able to earn back in a day at McDonalds , and I think its not a one off job unless get caught spitting in the burger

But then its just my views

I'm not giving an analogy on the McDonalds' example. But trying to show just another aspect in life where people still work for a low x amount of dollars. And photography is no exception.

You made an assumption that if you buy a camera that is worth $x, you must earn back that amount or more. Why should that be the case? Remember, students could be interested in earning $1 per click as pocket money. Even if they don't accept the job, they won't earn anything from their hobby anyway. So why not make a bit extra?

It's all relative. $1 per click may be considered easy money to some. But to others, especially to full-time pros, it's downright insult.

Like I said, things have changed. Even students can take beautiful pictures with their DSLRs that rival the pros. Just look at the photo competitions. If you put pros vs non-pros, ie those who don't earn a living from photography, can you argue the pros will surely win? Of course not.

So it's a lot tougher for those who want to earn a living from photography now. That's how it has evolved. We have to accept the challenges are far greater than before. And there will be people who can take very good pictures. And those who will accept your so-called "low-paying" assignments. I know it's sad. It cheapens photography as a profession sometimes. But that's just how it is.

I'm not giving an analogy on the McDonalds' example. But trying to show just another aspect in life where people still work for a low x amount of dollars. And photography is no exception.

You made an assumption that if you buy a camera that is worth $x, you must earn back that amount or more. Why should that be the case? Remember, students could be interested in earning $1 per click as pocket money. Even if they don't accept the job, they won't earn anything from their hobby anyway. So why not make a bit extra?

It's all relative. $1 per click may be considered easy money to some. But to others, especially to full-time pros, it's downright insult.

Like I said, things have changed. Even students can take beautiful pictures with their DSLRs that rival the pros. Just look at the photo competitions. If you put pros vs non-pros, ie those who don't earn a living from photography, can you argue the pros will surely win? Of course not.

So it's a lot tougher for those who want to earn a living from photography now. That's how it has evolved. We have to accept the challenges are far greater than before. And there will be people who can take very good pictures. And those who will accept your so-called "low-paying" assignments. I know it's sad. It cheapens photography as a profession sometimes. But that's just how it is.

IMHO, times had changed but the business and work aspect remains the same. The issue is not whether people can easily create good pictures or not, the issue is how these people get other people to pay thousands of dollars for those pictures, versus paying only $1.

Majority of the photo entries for contests are photos taken on leisure hobby basis. Work assignment photos will ensue the skills in landing the job in the first place, managing poor shooting conditions, uncooperative people, bad luck, bad weather, and following a client's brief and requirement, and things often gets complicated when there is more than one client/direction and opinions differ, dodging their politics, working on a time constraint, possibility editing on site away from home, and still delivers and injects something creative.

IMHO, times had changed but the business and work aspect remains the same. The issue is not whether people can easily create good pictures or not, the issue is how these people get other people to pay thousands of dollars for those pictures, versus paying only $1.

Majority of the photo entries for contests are photos taken on leisure hobby basis. Work assignment photos will ensue the skills in landing the job in the first place, managing poor shooting conditions, uncooperative people, bad luck, bad weather, and following a client's brief and requirement, and things often gets complicated when there is more than one client/direction and opinions differ, dodging their politics, working on a time constraint, possibility editing on site away from home, and still delivers and injects something creative.

I know how you feel and exactly where you and others are coming from. If I am a working photographer, I won't be happy also.

But I emphasize again, it's just how things have become now. To put it simply, it's the general public's perception of photography today that has caused the setting of such prices. Unless it's some very specialized form of photography, you don't need special skills to be able to take credible-looking pictures. We all know that. Look at all the impressive images everywhere! Not just here. They are taken by amateur photographers. Even if your standard is not very high, there are advertisers who are willing to accept your pictures, and hence, they pay you little. Who is to argue here?

On the brighter side, like I said, it's willing advertiser, willing photographer. Whether he or she is full time or just say a student, if they feel it's worth it, they take it. I am sure there are many successful photographers here who scorn at lowly-priced assignments which they don't have to depend on. Then so be it! You can't change the culture any more.

I hate to go into politics but I will do so a little here. Look at what the Singapore government is doing now. They bring in so many foreigners and give them PR status or even citizenship so easily. All in the name of improving the economy here. There are many Singaporeans who have complained their jobs are at stake. Or they have to accept lower paying jobs. They have been threatened that if they don't like it, the foreigners can easily replace them at a much cheaper price. I've come across countless times taxi-drivers who once held certain professional jobs but have to be a driver cos they went out of job.

You think it's a nice feeling? But what can we do? That's the way things have turned out here. Can these affected people start a revolution to educate the government and employers it is important to maintain the pay of locals and get them secured jobs? Of course not. That's a joke. We have to accept that's how it is here. Do something to survive or leave this country.

Same goes for photography today. You face tougher times for how photography has evolved. If you want to turn pro, you must accept the obstacles and frustrations that come with it.

As a student I worked at MacDonalds and at restaurants.. However, the main difference is that for every hour I worked I got a specified amount of money. Personally, I would discourage people from joining such a venture, in any type of industry, as the amount of $$ per hour is not specified or agreed in advance (nor the minimum nor the maximum). Thus, you may work for 4 hours and get nothing! I think this is not a good engagement.. Just my 2 cents. And no, I am not a professional photographer, and I have no interest in becoming one, ever!

As with other discussions on how not to price yourself too low as a photographer, again, I think it's willing advertiser, willing taker. $1 per pic may sound like a stupid waste of time. But then, think about it people: Is it stupid to work for $5/hr in McDonald's? If you are a working adult, you'd think it's crazy. Who would work for that amount? But as a student or poor auntie who needs to make ends meet, you will take the job! That's exactly what is happening, which brings me to my next important point:

I think all these so-called low pay photography assignments point to one thing: The value of being a photographer is dropping as technology becomes more advanced. If you are a working photographer who earns your living through taking photos, $1 a photo is an insult. But to the person who pays for the job, he or she may think: You get $1 for just pressing the button! What more are you asking for? It's easy enough. All you need is a camera which practically everyone has these days.

That's one reason I made the decision NOT to be a working photographer. Some years ago, I had thoughts of turning my hobby into a profession. But I decided against it eventually. Cos I think the market is over-saturated with people who can take pictures. Even when you are doing your job, your guests and people around you could be carrying more expensive and better equipment than you.

I'm not conscious or feel inferior about it. After all, as we always say, the final test is in the pictures the photographer can produce. Not how expensive your camera is. But the feeling of knowing any of them could do the job doesn't make me feel special. You have a sickness, you go see a doc. You need legal advice, you see a lawyer. No Tom, Dick or Harry can do it. But if you want good photos, it's not necessarily true that only the paid photographer can do it.

Don't discount Uncle Bob any more. Cos he could take better pictures than you do! The only reason why we hate him so much is that (1) We are paid for the assignment and we are answerable to our clients. So if Uncle Bob is hindering us, we can't do a proper job. And (2) Though we may not want to admit it, we sometimes hate it knowing that he could do the job as well as we can.

How many of us know of non-professional photographers who own camera equipment (some of which are expensive ones) and have taken very nice shots? Too many to name. Even female teenagers these days have DSLRs strapped around their necks. A long time ago, it looks so uncool to be seen with such cameras.

So we've come to a point where taking pictures has become almost like selling burgers at the McDonald's counter. Is $1 a shot worth it? Yes, depending on who you're talking to.

I know how you feel and exactly where you and others are coming from. If I am a working photographer, I won't be happy also.

But I emphasize again, it's just how things have become now. To put it simply, it's the general public's perception of photography today that has caused the setting of such prices. Unless it's some very specialized form of photography, you don't need special skills to be able to take credible-looking pictures. We all know that. Look at all the impressive images everywhere! Not just here. They are taken by amateur photographers. Even if your standard is not very high, there are advertisers who are willing to accept your pictures, and hence, they pay you little. Who is to argue here?

On the brighter side, like I said, it's willing advertiser, willing photographer. Whether he or she is full time or just say a student, if they feel it's worth it, they take it. I am sure there are many successful photographers here who scorn at lowly-priced assignments which they don't have to depend on. Then so be it! You can't change the culture any more.

I hate to go into politics but I will do so a little here. Look at what the Singapore government is doing now. They bring in so many foreigners and give them PR status or even citizenship so easily. All in the name of improving the economy here. There are many Singaporeans who have complained their jobs are at stake. Or they have to accept lower paying jobs. They have been threatened that if they don't like it, the foreigners can easily replace them at a much cheaper price. I've come across countless times taxi-drivers who once held certain professional jobs but have to be a driver cos they went out of job.

You think it's a nice feeling? But what can we do? That's the way things have turned out here. Can these affected people start a revolution to educate the government and employers it is important to maintain the pay of locals and get them secured jobs? Of course not. That's a joke. We have to accept that's how it is here. Do something to survive or leave this country.

Same goes for photography today. You face tougher times for how photography has evolved. If you want to turn pro, you must accept the obstacles and frustrations that come with it.

OT a bit, Singaporean should be thankful to foreigner...

Without them,
imagine all construction worker who get paid $2000-$3000 a month, it make the housing a lot more unaffordable. Look at housing pricing on their housing?
imagine the food court worker all get paid $2000+, it is the end user end up paying for that or you just have to do it yourself.
List goes on.

What you want as a citizen will always come back at you really... Government gets the money from it's citizen, the more you ask, the more they take from you. Very simply equation. Look at OZ, benefit that citizen enjoy comes those who make money by simply paying a huge tax.

I simply amaze with the idea of foreigner took Singaporean's job away... They don't take it from you. You just lose to them as they are cheaper and more efficient. Make every sense for a business.

So think again, what you took for granted are done for you with very little expense.

Back to the pay, digital photography does make the path to photography a lot easier. Again, it's your choice to be the best and gain from it or just complain and blame it as this is the trend in the market.

You can't blame the clients for not wanting to pay anything, not a lot of photographers nowadays willing to spend time to educate the clients.

Regards,

Hart

Hart,

Please see below for the reply in italics. Just my humble opinion.

Benjamin. :)

<Ben> I agreed that Singaporean should be thankful to foreigners as they did the jobs that Singaporean shun such as in the construction industry. However, I do not agree to the examples quoted.

Without them,
imagine all construction worker who get paid $2000-$3000 a month, it make the housing a lot more unaffordable. Look at housing pricing on their housing?

<Ben> Prices of public housing has been increasing throughout the years and it is due mainly to pricing public housing to market conditions than paying construction workers the amount of money you mentioned. Therefore I do not agree to your example quoted here.

imagine the food court worker all get paid $2000+, it is the end user end up paying for that or you just have to do it yourself.
List goes on.

<Ben> Food prices has been increasing these years not because of paying fair wages to food court workers. But rather due to the increase of the cost of rental, utilies and materials to prepare food. Therefore it is not a fair statement to attribute the issue of increasing of wages of food court workers to consumer. In fact, the recent wage increase for lower income workers proposed by the National Wage Council demonstrated that the wages of lower income worker has been suppressed these years and therefore the recommended wage increase.

What you want as a citizen will always come back at you really... Government gets the money from it's citizen, the more you ask, the more they take from you. Very simply equation. Look at OZ, benefit that citizen enjoy comes those who make money by simply paying a huge tax.

<Ben> A Person who is successful in earning higher income is tax more than a person who earns a lower income. The revenue gather from taxes are then distributed back to the citizens. I don't see any wrong in doing that. In some way, this is also the reason why I believed you would like to contribute to the photography biz forum to help people who are intend to start up photography and share your experience. When you have more, you help those who have less which I admire the contribution you have given in the photography biz forum.

I simply amaze with the idea of foreigner took Singaporean's job away... They don't take it from you. You just lose to them as they are cheaper and more efficient. Make every sense for a business.

<Ben> I do not agree with the statement that Singaporean lose out because foreigners are cheaper and more efficient. There are jobs (jobs that was held by PMET) that singaporeans can do but have been taken up by foreigners because the rules to allow foreigners to work in Singapore has been relaxed over the years and not properly monitored. It resulted in our infrastructure (eg. Transport) not able to cope and therefore broke down. I believe the situation will only worsen in years to come if it is not properly monitored. Do take a step back and imagine what would be the situation like when our children grow up and start to work. Imagine they explain the situation to us that they can't find work because they are more expensive and thus deem as inefficient because the rules to allow foreigners to compete is relaxed. How would you as a parent feel?

So think again, what you took for granted are done for you with very little expense.

Back to the pay, digital photography does make the path to photography a lot easier. Again, it's your choice to be the best and gain from it or just complain and blame it as this is the trend in the market.

<Ben> I agree that we should strive to do our best and if we do fail. We should learn why we fail and try again.

You can't blame the clients for not wanting to pay anything, not a lot of photographers nowadays willing to spend time to educate the clients.

<Ben> I agree communications play a important role to educate customers what they are paying for.

Regards,

Hart

Hi Ben,

Sure, market condition play a large part, but if on top of that those worker had to be paid high, it is just going to be worse isn't it? Look at HK rules and the property market.

So lets say the developer need X cost to sell the property + Y profit which determine by market and their internal projection = Final selling price. If the X value goes up, I think the final selling price will just go up more. Businesses rarely reduce their profit, but they tend to pass on the cost to the end user. HK has foreign worker policy for construction, and each construction worker is paid about S$800-S$1000 a week as far as I know. It will be difficult to find anything under HK$10million for a 700+ sqft apartment outside the central area. by comparison, Singapore is a lot cheaper...

Same as the analogy for the food court, price rise due to other factor, but imagine that the cost of worker increase significantly too, isn't put pressure for the operator to increase the price? Same thing here....

In Singapore, we have domestic helper at amazingly affordable price for many, in OZ, it is impossible to hire someone to do the same at this price... let alone the ability to hire one.

Sure, I agree with the tax thingy, but I really don't like to pay for 47% tax bracket in Sydney. It feels like you are penalize for working hard. Would u like to pay an average of 30+% of your income to tax every year and nothing gets done? It's frustrating. In Singapore, at least these amount is going into CPF, you can use the CPF to purchase property... not in OZ, you need to come out with cash... that is why many choose to rent rather than buy.

Personal and company tax in Singapore allow people to work hard and enjoy their earning.

Re: competition.
Unfortunately, life isn't fair, as a parents, I do worry for them, but if they come and tell me if they can't find job, I will ask them to tell me why? And changing the perspective in life to make it work, though not easy but necessary. As a parents, I will do my best to give them the head start and the rest, it is really depends on them.

It is the survival of the fittest I suppose. It's going to get worst and not any easier. Just like thing abt digital photography, it opens up possibility but at the same time create competition.

Every country have policy that cheers by some and dislike by some and everything always come back round about the same. U get some you lose some. My take is, if we dislike a particular thing, change them but if we can't change them, change ourselves and if you can't change either, then it is time to leave to somewhere else.

It's time to be open minded to government policy about foreigner. They work hard because they have nothing here, they have to survive... They don't eat if they don't work. It's different to be a Singaporean, we do have the privilege here and we do get taken care by the government one way or another. But we often feel it is not enough.

Regards,

Hart

Last edited:

Without them,
List goes on.

Regards,

Hart

Hart

There are other factors for the housing price, it is not just a simple markup of say 20% on the cost. I know you are a foreigner, but i think let's keep the topic on photography. Singaporeans are facing something not faced by other countries, as there is no other country with such lax migration rules like SG. I believe you will think differently if you are a Singaporean. But I do think Singapore is a friendly place if you compare to places like Australia etc.. I had chinese friends (SG chinese) who are bullied there and it happened more than 20 years ago.. They say the chinese spoil the market by working too hard and I agreed. It is about balance.

This is coming from someone working in the construction industry.

For the past few years, I've seen jobs in the industry slowly "eroded" away to foreigners who are willing to work for less. I'm not talking about general construction workers but people involved in supervisory and junior management roles. These foreigners can take up jobs at lower rates because their commitments are usually back home where living standards are lower. Granted, they have to pay rentals and daily expeditures but they are in general still better off than working back home. For locals, commitments are here. There's no where to run to. You can do a lot more with $1000 in Myanmar than here. An engineering position which pays $8000 a month previously are snapped up by foreigners taking half of it. I do feel sorry for them.

.... its still better than some people who snag a job with an ultra low bid and getting unpaid volunteers to mop up and fulfil the contractual obligations .... especially recently during the Hungry Ghost festival among some getai organizers with budding but ignorant talent

Yah, what Kit said.

I think our problem is not construction workers from India, nor domestic maids from Indonesia, nor cleaners from Sabah. The problem is white collar and blue collar positions. But, right, lets not deviate into the foreigner workforce issue.

Sorry to hear the situation.

Well, I think when the price > value, the work stop, unless u have other thing to keep that status.

It applies to anyone. I will get replace by someone who is better in most aspect and offer cheaper price. I don't think there is an exception.

Hart

Back to the question.

I would work for $1 or free if its meant for charity or its very close friends.

And if it is charity work, I will do research about the charity and find out who are the beneficiaries before agreeing to help.

That's my answer to the question.

Have a good weekend. :)

Benjamin.

Last edited:

Without them,
List goes on.

Regards,

Hart

Well said...

Well Said ....

Rotten wood cannot be carved.

Not talking about photography. But about business.

If you don't believe in profit, success, and a good life, then the very cosmos will not give those to you coz that's the reality you believe in. You will let those negative beliefs restrict you, so evident in the words people use, and actions people take when faced with a situation.

Some things are just not meant to be for some people. Stick to your comfort zone and keep the day job. Better for these people to enjoy spending money on photography than to be defensive on making money from photography. Spend $10000 on gear and charge $1 if it pleases you. Pro photography is not for many, most don't have the cut. Make great photos for the hobby. No problem. But let those who wants to earn a few thousands times more work towards it.

Agetan said:

Without them,
List goes on.

Regards,

Hart

very well said. totally agree with it

After factoring in the post-production time, your hourly remuneration will most probably be lesser than the driver who is driving you around.

Without them,
List goes on.

Regards,

Hart

I apologize if I sound rude but what you are saying is rubbish to me. I can sense that you are not a Singaporean yourself, or at least a not a born Singaporean. PR eh?

Whoever said construction workers need to be paid $2-3k a month? That's an assumption you make. If you have lived here long enough, you would know that costs of things were manageable for the low to middle income earners just as recent as a decade or less ago. I don't remember back then, those in hard labor jobs or those who work in food courts earned a lot of money too.

Singaporeans are not happy because the intake of foreigners (like you perhaps) is too many, and too sudden. These foreigners are the ones who drove the prices of many things up. Public housing is one big area closest to the hearts of many Singaporeans that has been drastically affected. Even a high school graduate just 10-15 years ago could comfortably afford a 110 sq m 5-room flat. Today, both couples may be university grads but some are opting for much smaller 4-room flats because they cannot afford. Or if they choose to buy bigger homes, they will take very long term loans of several decades.

I personally know many Singaporeans who couldn't get flats because they are limited in numbers. Instead, foreigners get them more easily!!! You think this is fair? If this happened in Oz or US or Europe or any 1st world country for that matter, there would be strikes and riots. Now I understand why in the past (and still now?) many Aussies are so racist about Asians working there. And we are not even talking about the same huge proportion of foreigners going to Oz like the crazy situation we have here.

While we welcome foreigners, we have to question if it is justified for many of them to be here. Using your ridiculous analogy that foreigners didn't take away the jobs of Singaporeans, but we lost to cheaper and more efficient labour, I will apply it back to you. I hope one day, there will be many more people who could charge photography a lot cheaper than you and yet have the same or better standards than you. Then you will know how it feels. Then maybe you will pack your bags to look for other countries? Or go back to where you originally belong? It is obvious you haven't met enough Singaporeans close to you to empathize what they are going through.

You sound just like the Singapore government when you said "make every sense for a business". But do know you are treading on thin ice here which is sensitive to many Singaporeans? Are you running this country like a business? It is precisely because of this that many Singaporeans are not happy. And it has often been said the government is running this place like an MNC more than a place where citizens have priority over foreigners. The rich will become richer, the poor poorer.

It is the trend that photography is what it is today. No one is complaining it. It's a fact. Which I feel many can't seem to accept. Of course, there are things you can do to overcome the obstacles, but it's not as easy as it always sounds. I always hear people say "educating the clients". This is an over-used phrase. You are only justifying to the clients who approach you why you are worth their money. It's sales. It's nothing to do with changing the photography culture here and elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.