Why Singapore football cannot make it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
apologies. by saying citizens, i actually meant the rest of us not playing soccer in SLeague.

sehsuan said:
in your existing mindset, you are only thinking of losing. why not a chance of a draw? or even an upset?

you have to change your mindset. like in a court, no one is guilty until proven so. likewise, play out the match, then decide who will win, or lose.

I can bet with you that Singapore would never win Japan. Unless, 'kelong' or Japanese teams using their Primary school kids as their players!

XXX Boy said:
I can bet with you that Singapore would never win Japan. Unless, 'kelong' or Japanese teams using their Primary school kids as their players!

i see only the word, "bet".

you have already proven my point. are you REALLY interested in soccer?

Come on guys, until 10 years ago, No one plays soccer in Japan. Everyone watches baseball. If it wasn't for the determination of the J-League to foster talents for the World Cup, it wouldn't have made it this far.

It's not necessary the fans' support, we need for coporate support and more substantial training for our players.

there's no reason why singapore can't make it to the world cup finals in 2010. ok... we may not have the most talented players in the world, but talent is only one factor. of equal importance are teamwork, fitness, mental strength (never-say-die-attitude) and tactical acumen (need a good coach for this). germany did not have the best players in the last world cup, yet made it to the final because of their fighting spirit. when a team is 3-0 down, does it give up or try instead to score 4 goals to win the match? that is a good test of a team's character. if the singapore football team has as much fighting spirit as that, we can not only draw with thailand, but beat them as well. no crowd support? no problem... the crowds will come when the team is successful and exciting to watch. anyway, it's good experience and training for the team to play under adverse conditions (lack of crowd support, brickbats from supporters etc). toughen the team, and singapore will be *that* much harder to beat. on the pitch, ain't nothing is over until the fat lady sings, and when the referee blows the final whistle.

sehsuan said:
i see only the word, "bet".

you have already proven my point. are you REALLY interested in soccer?

Doesn't mean he is not interested in soccer. Just not interested in local soccer. Period.

I used to bet too, so you are telling me i am not interested in soccer? Please.

NitroTech said:
Doesn't mean he is not interested in soccer. Just not interested in local soccer. Period.

I used to bet too, so you are telling me i am not interested in soccer? Please.

then why bet in the first place? :dunno:

sehsuan said:

For many reasons. Just don't make a sweeping statement and say that if one bets on soccer means that that person in not really interested in soccer.

sehsuan said:

Come on la! If there isn't betting then how World Cup, Euro Cup, Asia Cup, English League survive???
It is those betting money that keep the game alive.

zaren said:
there's no reason why singapore can't make it to the world cup finals in 2010. ok... we may not have the most talented players in the world, but talent is only one factor. of equal importance are teamwork, fitness, mental strength (never-say-die-attitude) and tactical acumen (need a good coach for this). germany did not have the best players in the last world cup, yet made it to the final because of their fighting spirit. when a team is 3-0 down, does it give up or try instead to score 4 goals to win the match? that is a good test of a team's character. if the singapore football team has as much fighting spirit as that, we can not only draw with thailand, but beat them as well. no crowd support? no problem... the crowds will come when the team is successful and exciting to watch. anyway, it's good experience and training for the team to play under adverse conditions (lack of crowd support, brickbats from supporters etc). toughen the team, and singapore will be *that* much harder to beat. on the pitch, ain't nothing is over until the fat lady sings, and when the referee blows the final whistle.

Zaren sum it up well,
its chicken and egg situation, u dun play well, people dun follow, sponsor not willing to come forward, etc etc..... vice versa

sometimes as fan, we dun even mind if S'pore when down 3-0 or 5-0, if we see our player giving their very best fighting till the last minute....
this fighting spirit seems to have disappear in recents years....

mysonlovenemo said:
Zaren sum it up well,
its chicken and egg situation, u dun play well, people dun follow, sponsor not willing to come forward, etc etc..... vice versa

sometimes as fan, we dun even mind if S'pore when down 3-0 or 5-0, if we see our player giving their very best fighting till the last minute....
this fighting spirit seems to have disappear in recents years....

Yup, I would love to support Singapore the way i did 12-15 years back (The Kallang Roar/Malaysia Cup). Even when they lost, I still applauded them.

Somehow, (like you said) the fighting spirit has disappeared.

I remember in the mid-70s when Singapore lost to Hong Kong 0-1 in a crucial qualifier at the National Stadium from a goal scored by this guy named Wing Cheok or something....we lost but with Eric Paine at goal and Quah Kim Song, Samad Alipitchay, Mohd Nor and the rest of the gang running their hearts and legs out, there was no shame in losing, but in fact huge amounts of pride that we went out fighting.

And these were guys who were amatures but with companies that fully supported them in time and day offs and other resources. And we stood up with very respectable and close scores against the likes of South Korea, Iran, Red Star Belgrade etc etc then.

Respect needs to be earned.....hell, as much as Selangor and other Malaysian states were our enemies then, we had great respect for the likes of Mokthar Dahari, Arumugam, Soh Chin Ang, Shantok Singh etc etc etc.....

There were higher quality English Division One (no EPL then) on TV then.....but we still felt so strongly for our amature home team .......because they gave everything of themselves....WE gave everything too.

When we played on any grass patch bare-foot, nobody wanted to be Kevin Keegan or Ian Rush or Glen Hoddle or Franz Beckenbauer.....EVERYONE wanted to emulate his local soccer idol. Me dreamed of becoming the next 'gelek king' Dollah Kassim.

Go to the National Library archives and dig up some old newspaper clippings in the sports sections from the mid to late 70s.....then you'll understand the fervor.

I'm GLAD I lived through those days.

sehsuan said:
get your children/nephews/nieces involved in a kid's soccer league (i'm not sure if there is one around locally though) .

Get the younger generation to play ... that the problems.
but where r the fields. ...
land r scarce, once there is a field .... everyone crowded to play on it ... thereafter the field will make way for a new building!!!
Yes there are fields ... pay lor ...!!! :D

I remember one top coach also voiced the same opinions about local soccer!!!

The question is whether the FAS is passively praying for the next Fandi or r they going to bring out Beckham, Zidane, Henry, Maradona from our pool of local boys.

soccer...is a actually quite borign game...so...singapore soccer... ;-)

sehsuan said:
in your existing mindset, you are only thinking of losing. why not a chance of a draw? or even an upset?

you have to change your mindset. like in a court, no one is guilty until proven so. likewise, play out the match, then decide who will win, or lose.

I am an eternal optimist. I believe in Singapore team. I believe a draw or Japanese goalie lets the ball goes past between his legs by mistake.

This will lift the national spirits and every kid wants to throw out the homework and makes a ball out of newspaper and play it.

BANSAI! :thumbsup:

zaren said:
there's no reason why singapore can't make it to the world cup finals in 2010.

There's no reason Singapore can make it to the World Cup finals in 2010 either. I remember when they first announced 2010, I remember doing the maths. To achieve the 2010 goal, it would mean that kids the age of about 14 would need to be taken up through the ranks, to reach their early to mid 20s by the time 2010 rolled around.

Waaaaay too late. Over here they're playing very serious U14 football by that time, they've been cultivated since before 10. If you want a crop of good footballers you have to work them from young. 2010 was proposing to take a group of U14s without the ideal foundation (and face it they don't otherwise we wouldn't be having a problem) and have them qualify for the World Cup.

And that was just the youngsters. You can't qualify with just a group of inexperienced youngsters. And don't forget for the 2010 World Cup you qualify in 2008. Which means that you experienced hands need to be about 26 to 30 by the time that rolls round. Or 18-20ish when 2010 was first announced. Which is even worse, if they're not showing distinct signs of talent by 18-20 with a good background, then they're not going to be great players come 26-30 either.

I applauded 2010 in concept... getting Singapore to the World Cup. But when I learnt the time scale as a target (namely, 2010), I knew it was set up to fail. 2020 would be a far more realistic target.

Which from the sounds of it we wouldn't be any nearer achieving either.

since we like the figure 8 so much, it would be Japan 8 S'pore 0.
btw, i love to watch S league, so cartoon, like charlie chaplin movie

XXX Boy said:
Come on la! If there isn't betting then how World Cup, Euro Cup, Asia Cup, English League survive???
It is those betting money that keep the game alive.

I would highly recommend you to seek out books on sports ideaology and Olympism and figure out more for yourself. In the earlier part of the 20th century, countries actually had hidden agendas like supremacy and politics behind sports.

How well do you understand sport? Soccer is only but one of the many forms of sport.

If the country is not pumping in money to nurture the young boys, then we are not going anywhere.

It's sad not to have something to shout about for the Singapore Team. Even at the last SEA games, the boys packed their bags before it starts. Sad. Sad. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.