Which camera should I get?

Keanen Lee

Jul 9, 2018
Singapore
Hi everyone! I'm looking for a camera for me to bring on overseas trips. I currently have a Canon 1300D but i feel that it's a little too bulky and the video quality is a bit lacking. I'm looking for a camera that can do decent photos and good travel videos. I'm leaning more towards mirrorless cameras so as to keep it portable and have shortlisted a few of them. They are a6300, panasonic g7 and the xt20. Would be great if anyone could help me on this. Thank you!

Olympus em 10 mark 3. I tried the mark 2 before. I love it. Just that mark ii lack 4k video. The olympus em 10 is vry small and light. Plus the photos are rly decent. More than decent if u match with fast lens. Only thing is micro 4/3 aint rly good with low light.

A6300 and xt20 has no in body stabilisation. If u want video and dont want to be dealing with gimbal and stuff. Oly omd 10 mark 3 is rly gd

Is the G85 decent under low lighting?
What Felixcat8888 said.
You need to understand low light performance is a combination of camera + lens. M43 with fast primes can be better than FF with kit lens.
But we don’t know your bar of acceptability. Personally I think any of the present m43 bodies with fast glass is more than decent for most low light shooting conditions.

What are you trying to shoot? like what Swifty has mentioned, you also need to know that it is not the camera only that works alone, you need a lens to capture the event. So low light, we would normally use a lens with a bigger aperture to capture more light.

For example, you are shooting indoors and you want to take some photos. You will use a lens like a 15mm F1.7 to shoot groups. for portrait type photos, then a 25mm F1.4 or F1.8, or the Voigtlander 25mm F0.95 (manual focus). These are all m43.

For FF, we have the luxury of using prime lenses with apertures that are as wide as F1.2.

Let's put this in context.. you mean you want to shoot in available or existing light situations and you don't want to use flash ?
This means you should understand about exposure and it's relationship to shutter speed,aperture and ISO (image sensor sensivity).
In the old film days people have ISO (it was known as ASA) to graple with at maximum it was only ASA400 that was available and you have aperture and shutter speed to play with.Even then in low light senario people have to expose as if it was a higher ISO and then delvelop the film known as push processing (playing with developing time and exposure characteristics of film).Of course the result is not pretty as there is film grain or photo looks grainy when printed on photographic paper. Now in digital photography although low light photography is easy as increasing ISO which some cameras can go over ISO 500,000 the result is similar to film grain except
technically it is now called digital noise but it is rather improved as good performance can be had at ISO3200 -6400.

So I don't think this is an issue if you have such a camera...a great improvement over film cameras. :)
All 3 cameras you have short listed can do low light with a combination of a fast lens eg. F1.8 and ISO with image stabalisation
even with low shutter speeds. All now you need to know how to steady yourself with tripod or hold your camera properly
and most importantly use whatever light sources available ,natural or artificial in your composition. You have much flexibility
now with digital cameras.I don't know why people keep harping on fast lenses,yes it's convenient but you have to contend with shallow
depth of field and don't be lulled as taking portrait of a face you may have focused on the nose or some other feature and the photo
does not turn out nice because of blur.Even autofocus is not foolproof.Back to basics.As a matter of fact not many photos are shot at maximum aperture for technical reasons..subject isolation is good but sharpness across the frame suffers if you are using normal
or consumer grade lenses. Hope this helps.

I'd advise that you stick to your current camera and try to learn more about using it as best possible.
Even though its an 'entry level camera' it already has the basics to get good shots.
As for video, its easy to get caught up in the specs and forget the craft.
Video specs don't instantly mean better video content, so again, try to learn more in this area here too with the current camera.

Youtube would be a good place to start to learn more on both stills and video.