What is your travel kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came back. Took with me the DS + DA21, DA40 & DA70.

I have the same set of lens too...haha but when I am on travel, I tend to bring only the 18-250 along for versatility but now with the DA package, I may bring the 21mm along although amongst the 3 lenses I like the DA40 best as its images are the sharpest.
:)

Update here, since I started this thread. :)

For Laos trip, wished I had brought along my 50mm for the evening and indoors stuff.

And should have left the 21mm at home.. cos I used the 10-20 mostly for wide, at the 10mm end almost all the time.

Most used lenses are the 35 and 70.

Ditching the primes for my next KL trip. Need the hands free to carry shopping bags and for eating. :bsmilie:
Probably just the Sigma 17-70mm and maybe the Tamron 70-300mm.

For Laos trip, wished I had brought along my 50mm for the evening and indoors stuff.

And should have left the 21mm at home.. cos I used the 10-20 mostly for wide, at the 10mm end almost all the time.

I have the FA50mm f/1.4 on my camera most of the time when i was in Laos, the focal length is just nice for me to shoot the street stalls and peoples and also a fast enough lens to use when inside their markets. :)

I have the FA50mm f/1.4 on my camera most of the time when i was in Laos, the focal length is just nice for me to shoot the street stalls and peoples and also a fast enough lens to use when inside their markets. :)

Yes, should have brought that along! If only for the indoors shots. I definitely felt the lack of speed.

That's because you had duplication in your set. And when travelling for leisure (not photo trip) , you tend to not want to change lens all the time. that is why I only bring the 18-250 along to cover all range. perhaps will bring one prime lens along for when I'm in the mood, either the 21mm (for versatility) or the 40mm (my favourite for IQ). :)

That's because you had duplication in your set. And when travelling for leisure (not photo trip) , you tend to not want to change lens all the time. that is why I only bring the 18-250 along to cover all range. perhaps will bring one prime lens along for when I'm in the mood, either the 21mm (for versatility) or the 40mm (my favourite for IQ). :)

I see every travel trip as a photographic one as well :)

Perhaps cos I don't travel with family/kids (lack the latter :p), and I backpack on my travels, free-and-easy style so I can often take my time, and don't mind changing lenses.

I see every travel trip as a photographic one as well :)

Perhaps cos I don't travel with family/kids (lack the latter :p), and I backpack on my travels, free-and-easy style so I can often take my time, and don't mind changing lenses.

ok..if you're travelling alone, free and easy with a DSLR, then its what I called a "photographic expedition"..:bsmilie:
If you do not have the constraints of trying to catch highly mobile kids in their acts, then changing of lens for a scene would not be considered a luxury...That being the case, you could have brought a few primes along to cover the range from 20mm to around 70mm.

i just realised that i've built up quite a collection of lens; but i guess the 10-20 will always go along anywhere; one can never get too wide.. :D

maybe the 70-300 as well, along with the 50mm and the 28mm that i got recently; the last two are really small anyways; all still can fit into my shoulder bag, with space for filters and accessories. :)

I guess it's always important to plan where you will be visiting during your travel.
For eg, I had expectant to visit mountains and take scenary photos during my recent trip to Taipei.
But some turn of events led me to the zoo instead. Where my Sigma 10-20 is useless and I missed my Tamron 18-200... :(
The other alternative is to bring everything which is what I did for Japan.
I brought enough to cover from 10-200, and a 2x converter and tripod... :s
Very heavy and bulky... :( But hey! I needed the workout. :p

My setup will be ...
10-20, dfa 50 macro, 77, which 10-20 and 77 makes good landscape lens, 1 with reach, and 1 just WIDE. The macro for the occasional macro shots (food, flowers, bugs, ornaments)

Or alternatively, 20-35, 35-70 macro. Small, light, and still very good optically without the really wide option.

Or simply da 18-250 (which is really sharp, and has the range), and just bring the 43.

Or the f2.8 setup (16-50, 50-135), and really the heaviest of the lot.

Last edited:
My setup will be ...
10-20, dfa 50 macro, 77, which 10-20 and 77 makes good landscape lens, 1 with reach, and 1 just WIDE. The macro for the occasional macro shots (food, flowers, bugs, ornaments)

Or alternatively, 20-35, 35-70 macro. Small, light, and still very good optically without the really wide option.

Or simply da 18-250 (which is really sharp, and has the range), and just bring the 43.

That's quite some options to choose from ;p

That's quite some options to choose from ;p

That's what we call LBA... i guess. :bsmilie:

But it's 1 which have no place for 31mm ... maybe in option 1.

Last edited:
My setup will be ...

WOW! so many options. ;p

WOW! so many options. ;p

Hey... I am not the only one ler.

And seriously, I don't have all the lens indicated for e.g. 10-20 (which I bloody sold, and still can't believe I did that! And it was a very good condition, sharp copy! :cry:)

Hey... I am not the only one ler.

And seriously, I don't have all the lens indicated for e.g. 10-20 (which I bloody sold, and still can't believe I did that! And it was a very good condition, sharp copy! :cry:)

I love my 10-20.. :)

But if you don't have the 10-20 already, why list it among your possible travel set-ups? :p

Anyway, I think I'll go with the 10-20, 35, 50 and 70 for travel next time. Yah, I do macros (flowers mostly), portraits and landscapes on my trips, but unfortunately, does none of these genres well. Heh.

I love my 10-20.. :)

But if you don't have the 10-20 already, why list it among your possible travel set-ups? :p

Anyway, I think I'll go with the 10-20, 35, 50 and 70 for travel next time. Yah, I do macros (flowers mostly), portraits and landscapes on my trips, but unfortunately, does none of these genres well. Heh.

It was my travel lens (when I last went on a trip), and 1 of the options i took.

No qualms listing it in, as it's a pretty easy lens to get back. If I am going for my next trip, just source for one and go... ;)

That's an excellent setup you have. Actually the 50-200 (in your list of lens) is pretty good for your travel too..

It was my travel lens (when I last went on a trip), and 1 of the options i took.

No qualms listing it in, as it's a pretty easy lens to get back. If I am going for my next trip, just source for one and go... ;)

That's an excellent setup you have. Actually the 50-200 (in your list of lens) is pretty good for your travel too..

Yah, but I'm thinking to sell away the 50-200 actually and go all primes. It's very good for animals and airshows though...

10-20 is easy to get, but I find it a hassle to buy and sell for trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.