What is your travel kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I survived with just the 16-50 and 50-135 in some parts of Europe.

that's what i would carry as well, i feel that that is sufficient.. and plan ahead of where i will head to that day.. maybe 16-50 for both day and night, and 50-135 for daytime only.. it will all depend where u are heading for...

but i am looking for a light tripod now.. any reco.. i know a bit off track... but i think its part of the travel kits...

Deciding the travel kit is always a painful thing for myself. I would like to bring all the lens but I can't. Usually, I will bring maximum 2 lens or 3 lens with 1 of them is a pancake like below.

DA12-24 + DA18-250. It offers a good super-wide and then one general purpose. Very good if I am going with my girl friend which means i can't change lens in most of the cases.

DA*16-50 + DA*50-135. Very good optical combination and this is my kit when I am going to any Pentaxian gathering....

just wondering,is the kit lens so lousy that nobody wants to bring for travel?

It depends if you are travelling on foot always on the go, or if you always have the option to return to your hotel room to change or put back the lenses you brought. Opportunities can always be missed as the need to change lenses in the field. That may take up to a minute or many seconds if you are faster. Otherwise just bring them all or just one mega zoom walkaround lens.

If you are an artist or painter just walk around with a point and soot with enough spare battery and power. Take snap shots and go back home to paint or sketchthat scene all over again.

The kit lens is a very good travel lens. It's light, and compact, and does many things very well - you just have to know its limitations. If it were not for what is read on the Internet, I am sure many more people would stick with the kit lens and be entirely happy with it.

I suppose we should be pleased, though, that so many people are given the lens-buying itch by forums like this one, and so keep Pentax in business ...

Tim

I suppose we should be pleased, though, that so many people are given the lens-buying itch by forums like this one, and so keep Pentax in business ...

Tim

:bsmilie::bsmilie:

not wide enough for me.

i still use it sometimes though. and i used to use it when i didn't have money to buy the 10-20. :)

Kit selection for travel is all about planning ahead and anticipating the kind of shots that you're likely to shoot. It also depends on how comfortable and familiar you are with a particular focal length. Then there is the tradeoff between versatility versus weight/bulk versus optical performance; some people prefer using prime lenses while others opt for zooms.

Go to a place where there are wide open landscapes or seascapes and a wide or ultra wide would be a suitable choice. Same for urban/architectural cityscapes like say Hongkong. If you're on safari, long tele's are the way to go.

Personally I have found my previous DA 16-45mm pretty useful as it goes sufficiently wide without obvious wide angle related distortion. A tele macro like the DFA 100mm is great for shooting distant subjects, people and details up close. I usually don't carry more than 3 lenses max. There is no right or wrong combo, even a DA 18-55mm & DA 50-200mm is adequate to shoot 80% of subjects out there.

I'd only bring the DA1224 and K20D for my next trip, start from this afternoon :)

Just came back. Took with me the DS + DA21, DA40 & DA70.

The kit lens is a very good travel lens. It's light, and compact, and does many things very well - you just have to know its limitations. If it were not for what is read on the Internet, I am sure many more people would stick with the kit lens and be entirely happy with it.

Tim

glad to hear this..cause no budget for extra lens if i buy a dslr now:)/....

Last edited:
Just back from my Taiwan trip with just my K100DS + FA35 in Lowepro TZM
ppl keep trying to twist my FA35 to zoom when they help me take photo :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Just back from my Taiwan trip with just my K100DS + FA35 in Lowepro TZM
ppl keep trying to twist my FA35 to zoom when they help me take photo :bsmilie:

lol. did u explain to those ppl who handled ur camera that its a non-zoom? And watch their expression as they change..thinking this is a lousy camera? haha...

lol. did u explain to those ppl who handled ur camera that its a non-zoom? And watch their expression as they change..thinking this is a lousy camera? haha...

:bsmilie: haha, i get that all the time :sticktong

Me too. My friends will try turning the focusing ring (Quick-shift). Then I say its a prime lens... fixed focal. Ha.

Better still, i just tell them point and shoot type of SLR.. :D

Better still, i just tell them point and shoot type of SLR.. :D

I just tell them already set the settings, they just need to point and shoot from their spot. Better still, tell them no live view when they trying to look for it.:bsmilie:

yah..this very cute one.. my dad ever was like "u got on or not?" anticipating sumting on d screen.. haha...

btw.. tink part of a travel kit is a gd bag as well rite? sumting comfortable is impt as well?

Last edited:
yah..this very cute one.. my dad ever was like "u got on or not?" anticipating sumting on d screen.. haha...

btw.. tink part of a travel kit is a gd bag as well rite? sumting comfortable is impt as well?

Tamrac has quite a few nice ones (eg adventure series) that does not scream "I Have a camera with me!". Bagman is also good too.
But them during the PC show and their prices are like 40% lower than the retail giants.

Status
Not open for further replies.