Weight of tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the 055Pro and I find that it is a bit long (24 inches) and heavy. I am considering to get a lighter tripod with shorter folding length. This way I can checkin together with a small luggage.
Some thoughts.
1. To get a tripod bag or not - I find it helpful when carrying but when I start to shoot - I need to pack away the bag. Sometimes it is better to just carry the tripod by hand so you don't need to zip and unzip. Think of it as a "weights" - same function as the 70-200 or 80-200 zoom. Which is to increase your arm muscle.
2. Depends on what your trip purpose is - I find that carrying a heavy tripod can be a strain even with the bag if you go on a long hike. If you are mostly taking public transportation, riding, it should probably be fine. My purpose is to shoot long exposure shots when I travel. So I don't really like to bring long tripod in my luggage. If the primary purpose of my trip is to take pics, then I will bring my tripod especially for sunrise and sunset pictures.

Shorter folding lengths also means a shorter height. Unless it has many extentions.

I use a Velbon Model VG-3 Tripod similar to the ones here http://www.velbon-tripod.com/ bought while on holiday in America in the early 70's , it weighs in at 2.26kg is very sturdy and adaptable and also very easy to carry about and use .
Bearing in mind I live in the Lake District area of the United Kingdom and have carried it on Fell ( Hills up tp 3,000 ft high ) walks and other walks of 8 miles and over , I find it quite comfortable and manageable , I dont have anything fancy to carry it in , just a simple waterproof canvas bag with single strap which I fasten across my chest or If Im taking a bit of equipment with me it fits nicely across the top of my back pack .
Shame they dont make this model any more I would buy another anytime.

ps - no I dont look like the body builder in the other post , Im just a typical Cumbrian , they breed em tough round here :bsmilie:

I have the 055Pro and I find that it is a bit long (24 inches) and heavy. I am considering to get a lighter tripod with shorter folding length. This way I can checkin together with a small luggage.
Some thoughts.
1. To get a tripod bag or not - I find it helpful when carrying but when I start to shoot - I need to pack away the bag. Sometimes it is better to just carry the tripod by hand so you don't need to zip and unzip. Think of it as a "weights" - same function as the 70-200 or 80-200 zoom. Which is to increase your arm muscle.
2. Depends on what your trip purpose is - I find that carrying a heavy tripod can be a strain even with the bag if you go on a long hike. If you are mostly taking public transportation, riding, it should probably be fine. My purpose is to shoot long exposure shots when I travel. So I don't really like to bring long tripod in my luggage. If the primary purpose of my trip is to take pics, then I will bring my tripod especially for sunrise and sunset pictures.
might want to try out slik 340dx + ur current head (even with a 488-series, i think the total weight is still < 2.5kg)

Status
Not open for further replies.