Weight of tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.
The monopod with 3 legs at base is really attractive leh, but i wonder if it has some substantial resistance to weight of dSLR, eg. including long lens and flash.

btw, will use of optech be a better option compared to those tripod bag?
The backpack for tripod seems quite attractive also.

What i'm worried most is carrying for long period. Imagine having to carry another 2-3kg of camera gears on the otherside.

The monopod with 3 legs at base is really attractive leh, but i wonder if it has some substantial resistance to weight of dSLR, eg. including long lens and flash.

btw, will use of optech be a better option compared to those tripod bag?
The backpack for tripod seems quite attractive also.

What i'm worried most is carrying for long period. Imagine having to carry another 2-3kg of camera gears on the otherside.

A monopod with legs cannot replace the strength and rigidity of a tripod.

Regarding tripod straps or bags, it has been discussed before.

If it's the tripod weight that you're worried of, then get a lighter CF tripod and a good, but light head too. But these premium would cost you. :sweat:

A monopod with legs cannot replace the strength and rigidity of a tripod.

Regarding tripod straps or bags, it has been discussed before.

If it's the tripod weight that you're worried of, then get a lighter CF tripod and a good, but light head too. But these premium would cost you. :sweat:

And what do you think those sports photographers (on the sidelines of playing fields and raceways) use with their large and long telephoto lenses?

A monopod is more than strong enough to hold a 300m f2.8 lens (I've seen even larger setups) with a camera attached.

see here:

http://litratista.org/wp-content/photos/Professional_Sports_Photographer.JPG

http://www.dpgr.gr/usergalleries/al...Kyriakou%20on Athos_ top with monopod.jpg

http://www.jh-photo.ch/misc/photog/photog2.jpg

http://thinktankphoto.com/ttp_Modulus_Others.php

With no practice, a novice can shoot down to 1/30 with a monopod. And down to 1/15 or more with practice.

The main reason for the self standing feature is so that you do not have to find a place to lay down the monopod when you have it fully extended (like most pros on the field will do).

But it can also be used to hold a smaller lens (up to 85mm and SLR setup) for self portraits. You just have to be careful about strong gusts of wind blowing over the rig. This isn't a problem if you have a someone (like a fellow traveller) to ensure that the rig does not topple over when you are taking your own photo with a remote in windy locations. But strictly as a substitute for a tripod (where you are stabilizing the rig using the monopod), it works very well.

The self stand feature is also useful when you need something to hold up a reflector (you will need a super clamp for this).

I suggest the TS to go down to a store like CP to try out a monopod with his rig and make up his own mind. And not listen to people who have not used one before.

Sure, a monopod with legs can support heavy loads. But that is if you do not need to use both of your for something else, or when you can afford to hold onto it with one hand.
I highly doubt anyone would be using this to support his/her setup during long exposures in windy conditions. :sweat:

Try using a monopod with feet and your camera + long lens when you need both your hands free to do something else? :bsmilie:

Sure, a monopod with legs can support heavy loads. But that is if you do not need to use both of your for something else, or when you can afford to hold onto it with one hand.
I highly doubt anyone would be using this to support his/her setup during long exposures in windy conditions. :sweat:

Try using a monopod with feet and your camera + long lens when you need both your hands free to do something else? :bsmilie:

Look - the guy wants something light, not bulky yet affordable right?
The monopod fulfils his needs in terms of light and affordable - sure he will need to hold on to it providing the other two legs of the tripod but it works.

As a standalone - it also works but with compromises. Plus it is cheaper than a small, light but stable tripod from the likes of Gitzo. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Look - the guy wants something light, not bulky yet affordable right?
The monopod fulfils his needs in terms of light and affordable - sure he will need to hold on to it providing the other two legs of the tripod but it works.

As a standalone - it also works but with compromises. Plus it is cheaper than a small, light but stable tripod from the likes of Gitzo. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

TS has no mention of budget what. Which thread/post are you at? :dunno:
He might have the cake and want to eat? ;p :bsmilie:

Anyway, ryuggen, I should be going to do some Gitzo tripod hunting tomorrow (Friday & not CP! :bsmilie: ). If you want, I can show you first hand and you can have a better feel than just reading. Just PM me and we can meet up. :cool:

I have my 055PROB and 488RCO. the combination is heavy...and the tiny strap rubbed against my shoulder andand it is painful lor.

I am currently looking for a good bag to pop the tripod in it..
:cry:

TS has no mention of budget what. Which thread/post are you at? :dunno:
He might have the cake and want to eat? ;p :bsmilie:

Anyway, ryuggen, I should be going to do some Gitzo tripod hunting tomorrow (Friday & not CP! :bsmilie: ). If you want, I can show you first hand and you can have a better feel than just reading. Just PM me and we can meet up. :cool:

Neither did he mention he was going to hock house and home for another tripod. As he indicated earlier, the monopod option appealed to him. So I would assume that he was trying to keep to a limited budget - something that a Gitzo tripod would not allow him to -seeing as Gitzos tripods in those small sizes start at about $275.

I have my 055PROB and 488RCO. the combination is heavy...and the tiny strap rubbed against my shoulder andand it is painful lor.

TKphoto may still have the Manfrotto padded bags for sale. They cost between $50-100 depending on the size.

For the 055ProB with 488RC0 head combi, the Manfrotto MBAG80P should be just nice! :thumbsup: ;p
This one is padded, to ease the discomfort and is slung across your body. :D

i roam around with my 3.4kg 4 series tripod...

Hi Tetride and Ipin,

thank you for your advice.. will pop by the shops to find the model.:)

....for the past 2 weeks, my poor shoulder felt that is gonna be dislocated (sound bad hah) after 4hour walk at the park and another time, a 3 hours at chinatown..

Tired and frustrated...the only good is when the time I was at Chinatown, some cheeky men purposely bump into me, i use my solid tripod to defend myself by knockingthe tripod right at their shin (right on target), causing them pain ....hah...my weapon! Powerful! :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :lovegrin:

I think he meant Gitzo Basalt. Not Gittozs Balast. LOL

:bsmilie:
Then the difference is in the material of construction and the way they are made. More info can be found on the Gitzo website! :D

i roam around with my 3.4kg 4 series tripod...

Whoa! Power! :bigeyes:
This is the reason I'm looking for a lighter setup. Not so siong on my shoulders. :bsmilie:

Hi Tetride and Ipin,

thank you for your advice.. will pop by the shops to find the model.:)

....for the past 2 weeks, my poor shoulder felt that is gonna be dislocated (sound bad hah) after 4hour walk at the park and another time, a 3 hours at chinatown..

Tired and frustrated...the only good is when the time I was at Chinatown, some cheeky men purposely bump into me, i use my solid tripod to defend myself by knockingthe tripod right at their shin (right on target), causing them pain ....hah...my weapon! Powerful! :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :lovegrin:

Let me know via PM if you wan to go tripod shopping tomorrow too! :bsmilie:

Let me know via PM if you wan to go tripod shopping tomorrow too! :bsmilie:

Oki..I PM u..:)

i need the bag...:)
if not, my tripod might start "attacking" cheeky old men again..hahaaha..

:) thanks ipin and tetrode!

Both of you have gave me a very well informed decision~

I was given a 550CL and a gitzo 1276M ball head. Adds up is really heavy, especially when going on long distance. I wonder why they chose to put 055 series as lightweight pro tripod in their catalogue. Its not light at all! I've already have complains when i'm carrying a 2+kg of camera equipments.

broccoli, you're carrying a 3.4kg of tripod! I'm a medium size guy, dont have so much body mass to carry so heavy weight leh~ Lotusfairy, you're also another heavyweight carrier, especially for a lady! I guess I should reflect myself in the mirror for being a guy.

After researching abit, I realised monopod with a 3 leg stand at the bottom seems to fit me quite nicely.

Benron offers quite economic monopod with supporting stand but, its abit short, standing below 1.5m.

I'm actually looking at something which is 1.6 to 1.7m, and hopefully below 1kg, with my 1276m gitzo head.

As for their premium light weight material, is it really sensible to spend 200 premium for it? It seems abit more rational to buy a optech/matin strap.

Any more kind advise? :)

My 055Pro is 2.4kg and 488RC0 is 830g, total over 3kg liao but after some time of carrying it around, u'll get used to the weight.

:) thanks ipin and tetrode!

Both of you have gave me a very well informed decision~

I was given a 550CL and a gitzo 1276M ball head. Adds up is really heavy, especially when going on long distance. I wonder why they chose to put 055 series as lightweight pro tripod in their catalogue. Its not light at all! I've already have complains when i'm carrying a 2+kg of camera equipments.

broccoli, you're carrying a 3.4kg of tripod! I'm a medium size guy, dont have so much body mass to carry so heavy weight leh~ Lotusfairy, you're also another heavyweight carrier, especially for a lady! I guess I should reflect myself in the mirror for being a guy.

After researching abit, I realised monopod with a 3 leg stand at the bottom seems to fit me quite nicely.

Benron offers quite economic monopod with supporting stand but, its abit short, standing below 1.5m.

I'm actually looking at something which is 1.6 to 1.7m, and hopefully below 1kg, with my 1276m gitzo head.

As for their premium light weight material, is it really sensible to spend 200 premium for it? It seems abit more rational to buy a optech/matin strap.

Any more kind advise? :)

The 055 MF3 is slightly lighter at 2kg. Still it does get heavy after a few hours of lugging it around. You can use a tripod backpack or buy a lowepro backpack type bag where you can put your camera in and hang the tripod at the back.

For trips, I think bringing a tripod is too much unless you are out on an official photographic assignment (meaning you get paid to take photos) and a tripod is required for maximum sharpness (e.g. night shots, landscapes). For normal holiday trips, just use a monopod with stand or take the shot handheld. You can always ask passersby to take your picture if you are just taking for posterity and don't mind the quality of the shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.