Watchmen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Movies that need lots of brain juice to process is not my type. Prefer Marley and Me. :lovegrin:

read the book? if so, how different/similar it is to the book?

call me biased but when I saw it was Owen Wilson and Jennifer Anniston, I told myself that the book would be massacred.

Hey, I received a good news. A friend of mine managed to get a ticket for me to go for the premier screening of Watchmen on Monday. :vhappy:

good for you, do us a favor, don't talk about it until after the release k? i haven't watched a movie at the theatres since the Dark Knight and i'm really looking forward to Watchmen. :bsmilie:

as for Tales of the Black Freighter, from what I gather, it will be released with the DVD. could be wrong though coz you know how these internet sources are, about as reliable as a faulty pacemaker.

I think Zack Snyder and co decided to exclude it due to the time constrain factors. I read somewhere that Warner Brothers will lose money to Century Fox due to a prior litigation battle where x% of profits will be given to Century Fox.... so I'm pretty certain the supposed/reported exclusion of the Tales has also got something to do with it (removal of it will ensure shorter movie/less confusing plot, thereby generating more box office dollars from the movie goers).

guess we can't have everything from the novel to fit in a 180 - 240min movie runtime.

though i don't see the significance of having Tales of the Black Freighter as a separate release other than milking the collectors as a "DVD-only Special Feature". tsk.

Tales wouldn't work by itself and the main storyline and its parallels character development of Rorschach and Veidt are some of the many reasons why the novel is so good.

but alas, i'm still a fanboy eagerly awaiting to Watch the Watchmen on the big screen

Okie, just came back watching the movie.:)

Shared some views on the movie.

Watched the movie without reading the graphic novel. I was trying to understand the story from the start with difficulty. As the momentum built along, I began to understand the meaning of it. The language and statements used need a bit of time to think and understand, which I would suggest a cup of coffee before watching (2 1/2 hour long. :sweat:). I do see some similar effects from 300.....especially the hacking and slashing part. ;)

This is a must watch movie. :)

Okie, just came back watching the movie.:)

Shared some views on the movie.

This is a must watch movie. :)

I too caught this movie today.

The best way to describe it (IMHO), is that it is a movie meant for comic fans only, of which I am one of them. This is why it only got 2 stars out of 5 from the local Singapore movie critic.

To be fair to the director, he did a fantastic job of recreating the Watchmen world as per the comic book's specs. However, the storyline was (and still is) extremely convoluted and really requires deep concentration for close to 3 hours by anyone who watches it. You will really enjoy it more (again IMHO) if you have read the comic book beforehand. In this way, you can really sit back and relax and let the movie unfold in all its CG glory (or GORY) :bsmilie: .

There are various "Forrest Gump" moments such as Fidel Castro, Nixon in a US-Soviet cold war backdrop which make this film worth watching for pure entertainment's sake. One extra movie feature which could not be done in the comic book was having the facial mask of Rosarch morph into various patterns. This was really cool!!! :thumbsup:

I too caught this movie today.

The best way to describe it (IMHO), is that it is a movie meant for comic fans only, of which I am one of them. This is why it only got 2 stars out of 5 from the local Singapore movie critic.

To be fair to the director, he did a fantastic job of recreating the Watchmen world as per the comic book's specs. However, the storyline was (and still is) extremely convoluted and really requires deep concentration for close to 3 hours by anyone who watches it. You will really enjoy it more (again IMHO) if you have read the comic book beforehand. In this way, you can really sit back and relax and let the movie unfold in all its CG glory (or GORY) :bsmilie: .

There are various "Forrest Gump" moments such as Fidel Castro, Nixon in a US-Soviet cold war backdrop which make this film worth watching for pure entertainment's sake. One extra movie feature which could not be done in the comic book was having the facial mask of Rosarch morph into various patterns. This was really cool!!! :thumbsup:

the local critic is a hack. best not to believe her bs.

I did not read the novel but i totally enjoyed the show. My galfriend slept it out though! :p

I guess it is kinda appealing to a specific group of audience. Indeed VERY though provoking. In fact I'm now going to buy the graphic novel!!

I feel that knowledge of American and world history along the time period 1960-1980s will help understanding the movie if you're watching it without first reading the novel. I realized alot of stuff can be better understood (the ironies/what could have been/jokes about conspiracy theories etc) if you had prior knowledge of the particular bit of real history as compared to the Watchmen timeline.

Last edited:
I did not read the novel but i totally enjoyed the show. My galfriend slept it out though! :p

I guess it is kinda appealing to a specific group of audience. Indeed VERY though provoking. In fact I'm now going to buy the graphic novel!!

I feel that knowledge of American and world history along the time period 1960-1980s will help understanding the movie if you're watching it without first reading the novel. I realized alot of stuff can be better understood (the ironies/what could have been/jokes about conspiracy theories etc) if you had prior knowledge of the particular bit of real history as compared to the Watchmen timeline.

knowledge of events of that period would help but not necessary to understand. there's alot more of pop culture references in the movie then anything else.

Yeah, awareness of stuff like the JFK assassination conspiracy and the Vietnam war really helps one to enjoy the movie much more. Things like having Nixon re-elected for the 3 term and poking fun of Ronald Reagan as a cowboy president was really funny. There was also an air of nostalgia from the 1970s and 1980s which added to the ambience of the film.

The director did confess that his target audience for the film was for adults and he really hit the sweet spot with his film for "oldies" like me!

Yeah, awareness of stuff like the JFK assassination conspiracy and the Vietnam war really helps one to enjoy the movie much more. Things like having Nixon re-elected for the 3 term and poking fun of Ronald Reagan as a cowboy president was really funny. There was also an air of nostalgia from the 1970s and 1980s which added to the ambience of the film.

The director did confess that his target audience for the film was for adults and he really hit the sweet spot with his film for "oldies" like me!

i think the rating alone already shows its meant for adults. this is no kids show.

yeah m18 for violence and the blue guy's swinging lamp pole.

Pace wise, the movie is far from excellent, but the content is great and should've lasted more than 163 minutes. Zack could've extended the reveal sequence of veidt, but it was a little rushed.

For non fanboys, you have to keep in mind that the story was written some time back in the 80s when there was a little backlash to the comic portrayals of superheroes, and they wanted to push the envelope of grit and realism, hence the great emo bits, blurred morality, etc.

yeah m18 for violence and the blue guy's swinging lamp pole.

Pace wise, the movie is far from excellent, but the content is great and should've lasted more than 163 minutes. Zack could've extended the reveal sequence of veidt, but it was a little rushed.

I agree. It would have been much better to have released it in 2 parts.

Overall as a film, the pace was indeed a bit too rushed.

Kudos though to the director for managing so well within a limit of close to 3 hours. I'd say that he managed to portray at least 95% of the main points. (Or 90% if you include the Tales of the Black Freighter)

And yes, Dr. Manhattan is a BIG man! :bsmilie:

Last edited:

There are a few versions out there.

There is the cheaper standard version and a more expensive Absolute Edition

http://www.amazon.com/Watchmen-Absolute-Alan-Moore/dp/1401207138/ref=cm_cmu_pg_t

Reviewers claim that the Absolute Edition has much nicer colours.

The graphic novel is very much a product of it's time, when the world still seemed on the verge of a Cold War. Things are different now, and I understand they've changed the ending.
As a fan of Alan Moore's, I'm not having much high hopes for the movie, but I will catch it. I found 300 average, so not exactly having much hopes for this film.

I was invited to watch Watchmen by the shaw organisation. At first i had no interest in the movie because Watchmen seems like some movie adapted from comicbooks and somehow makes me feel like only guys will enjoy watching it.

However, after i watch the movie, i feel that the show is very interesting, keeps me fixed on the screen, and is understandable. I love how it's thought provoking (not just shallow fighting scenes) and even people who havent read the comic would know what is happening.

However i find the whole show abit draggy (the duration is very long!). I think they can cut off some of the elaboration.

However i find the whole show abit draggy (the duration is very long!). I think they can cut off some of the elaboration.

doing that runs the risk of it not being

a) faithful to the graphic novel
b) developing the complex characters and subplots properly, especially Rorschach and Veidt, whose characters are co-developed in the novel by something that is excluded from the movie altogether.

no they cannot. But you're right, most run of the mill women won't be able to handle the story.

I was invited to watch Watchmen by the shaw organisation. At first i had no interest in the movie because Watchmen seems like some movie adapted from comicbooks and somehow makes me feel like only guys will enjoy watching it.

However, after i watch the movie, i feel that the show is very interesting, keeps me fixed on the screen, and is understandable. I love how it's thought provoking (not just shallow fighting scenes) and even people who havent read the comic would know what is happening.

you're not the intended audience. be it for the book or movie.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.