Underwater Housing for Nikon D3?

danielskl

Jan 5, 2008
Been shooting on land for awhile, jus pick up diving recently so keen in continuing my shoot underwater if current set up permit..

Any recommend on good housing for Nikon D3?

Any number of housing manufacturers should have made one for the D3. Try searching for ikelite, nexus, seacam, sea tool, sea & sea.

Been shooting on land for awhile, jus pick up diving recently so keen in continuing my shoot underwater if current set up permit..

Any recommend on good housing for Nikon D3?

good review of subal hsg for D3 on wetpixel.

looks like this housing can cost another D3. :bsmilie::bsmilie: never expected that..

Can anyone advice who and where the dealers are in local who sell the underwater housing? or you guys normally buy online?

You will be suprised that most u/w casing and accessories cost much more than the camera and lenses. Add on the arms, ports and strobes, it can easily be over 4K. Brands such as Subal, Nexus and Aquatica can be ordered thru Scubacam. Alternatively, if you are looking at used hsg, then the classified section on wetpixel can be a good source.

@Daniel :
This is not a direct answer of your question, maybe it help you or other before you decided to buy an underwater housing for DSLR Camera.

For my DSLR cameras I used a Seacam Housing and Seacam accessories, all Seacam Housing are build from the ground up.
The housing is a standard used by many of the pros because of it's reliability and superior ergonomics,
Seacam Housing allow you to use only one camera model for one Seacam housing.

Before you buy and use a Seacam or Subal underwater housing with the accessories for your Nikon D3, please ask your self :
-if you have enough diving experience with a minimum of 60 dived, because good buoyancy is "a must" for an underwater photographer

-if you can buy a Nikon D3, do you have the budget for the Seacam or Subal underwater housing for your Nikon D3

-how will you start your first underwater photography, with a macro lens or a wide angle lens, this is important to know because you have to decide to buy
one strobe (my last Seacam strobe is very expensive, 1.800 Euro each with 250 watt of power) for macro photography or two strobes for wide angle photography
and the use of flash arm system.

-How will you connect your flash cable to the housing ?
+ Using the the conventional Nikonos V type plug or
+ Using the S6 flash socket (expensive)

-for each of lens you are using, you need a lens port/dome port.

-will you use a non interchangeable standard viewfinder or
-an interchangeable viewfinder :
+ Swivelling 45º sports viewfinder (~ 1300 Euro) or
+ Sports viewfinder S180

Small Accessories
I used a lot of small accessories, I will not count it here, but this is a "must have" for me :
-T-Carrier systems, it is a foldable grip and can be mounted at the top thread of the housing (expensive 120 euro)

-Safety lock for the flash button

-Point & Shoot arm system
For freehanded flashing , it is an easy-to-operate point shooting grip.

-Emergency system for my underwater housing (flooding alarm) and a simple rescue system to bring my housing slowly to the surface without me.
otherwise you lose your expensive equiptment in the bottom of the sea.
I had 3 dive accident, 2 times the boat people forgot to pick up me and my wife, we have to swim 2 hour in strong current to the next island with the Seacam
housing and one accident in 50 meter during a wrack diving, I stayed to long on the wrack bottom and made pictures nearly without air and can not reach the
deco tank in 12 meter, instead to rescue my self, I chooice to rescue my Seacam housing first,

The next part is out of topic!
I dived since 11 years and since 7 years I dived with my wife as an underwater photographer.
The first 3 years experience as an UW photographer it was very frustrating, my picture was far from OK, it is very disappointing, at that time I never show
my underwater pictures. Now I show my underwater pictures in the office and hang around 30 frames in the wall and change it every 6 months, mostly in macro.

I start my UWP with Minolta Dynax 9Xi, Fuji FinePix S2 Pro and the last camera is a Nikon D200, all with Seacam housing and Seacam accessories.
Compare to the analog camera in the past, life time of a DSLR is very short, what happen with your undewater housing if you accidently flood your Nikon D3
after 2 or 3 year of diving with it ?
My solution was to buy a second Dynac 9xi or FinePic S2 and D200 one year after I bought the underwater housing, so right now I have always 2 cameras for
each underwater housing.

My wife start with Nikonos V and one year later with Nikonos RS, since year 2007 she use my old Fuji FinePix S2Pro with the Seacam housing.
We are not a professional Photographer, we use the equipments as a hobby and dived mostly in Indonesian, because I was born in Indonesian and I live sind 34
years in Austria, the last 2 year we add the Red Sea as our dive destination.

Compare to dive destination in Indonesian :
- The flight from Austria to Egypt ist shorter (4 hour flight) and cheaper,
- diving in the Red Sea are cheaper,
- dive boats and dive personal in Egypt are excellent
- they have always an oxygen bottle for decompresion emergency.
- The airline allow you to bring 30 Kg of lugage per person

The weight of my underwater gear without diving equipment is around 35-37 Kg + 40 Kg of diving equiptment (for me, my wife and the 2 children), 6-8 KG rescue
system, so at least we carry around 120-130 Kg of lugage. After 9/11 it is difficult to carry the underwater photo gear as a handbag, last year we have to
pay 20 KG for overweight, it is alot of money.

Depend on the camera I use, I spent around 8.000-10.000 Euro for each system inkluding accessories.

I'm a satisfied Seacam User and I'm not affliated with this company, if you need more information about Seacam product:
Seacam distributor in Singapore :
-ScubaCam Pte Ltd, 89 Short Street, #01-09 Golden Wall Centre, Singapore 188216
http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

-Seacam USA
http://www.seacamusa.com/products.shtml

Price lists are in Euro
http://www.seacamusa.com/seacam-prices-nikon.shtml

-Seacam Austria
http://www.seacam.com/
Ask Seacam owner Mr Hordosch junior per email, when the Seacam housing for Nikon D3 will be available.
The website is not actual.

Happy diving and greating from Vienna, Austria
Subagio Rasidi Kusrini (etoy)

Image 1
From the left : Seacam housing for Fuji FinePix S2 Pro & Nikon D200
A non foldable grip T-Carrier systems is attached on top of the housing.
IMG_1081.jpg

Image 2
Seacam housing with a single strobe (350 Watt) for Nikon wide angle lens AF-S 17-35mm
IMG_1097.jpg

Image 3
From the left : port for macro lens Nikon AF-S 105mm, 60mm and AF-S 17-35mm
IMG_1122.jpg

Image 4
Interchangeable viewfinder Pro
IMG_1108.jpg

Image 5
Seacam housing for Nikon D200 with Swivelling 45º sports viewfinder
IMG_1086.jpg

Image 6
with the use of the Swivelling 45º sports viewfinder, it is easy to make a "half half" picture from the water surface
You see here my doughter.
HalfHalf.jpg

Image 7
Every morning "cleaning and checking ceremony" before the dive, Notebook is a Sony VAIO T1 serie, in the middle (in red color) is an Olympus P&S housing for
the children.
equipments.jpg

Image 8
I'm using an Apnoe fin (extra long fin)
etoy.jpg

Image 9
I'm with my 2 children and my wife in Tanjung Karang, Palu, North West of Sulawesi
kusrini.jpg

i think the mods shld consider pinning this up ....

i think the mods shld consider pinning this up ....

Honestly, I find the photos of all the setups/strobes and casings, the detailed write up by etoy a very good read.

If you guys think it's a good read and informative, let me know. I'll Sticky it.

This is your forum, I'm just a policeman.

Last edited:
Thanks for the informative write-up. These are so useful for UW photography starter like me. :thumbsup:

Well money aside for the expensive casing which I've to spend if I need to get my D3 UW, I'm also worried that I'll flood my D3 cos with so little knowledge I've over UW photograhy. ;p

yes sticky it but please change the title ....would be great if the mod just keep the posts by etoy56 and delete the rest, including this one.

Thanks to put it sticky.

For beginner of UWP, I will add more pictures and details of the DSLR underwater housing (maybe) in a new thread (Guideline for my first DSLR Underwater housing) like flood alarm, plug for the flash cable, a simple weight belt and buoyancy for UW housing etc..

I will post it next Sunday evening (Monday in Singapore).
The information will help you to decide what is necessary for your first DSLR underwater housing.

Greating from cold Vienna and happy diving

Last edited:
Till now no updates?

Hi Danielski!

Subal has an underwater housing for Nikon D3, it has a 45 degree viewfinder as an option (similar like Seacam vewfinder), it is a german product with a lot of accessories, the price of the housing is a little bit cheaper than the Seacam product,

I don't know if you have to preorder the Subal underwater housing for your Nikon D3 in Singapore, but try to make a call on one of the Subal dealer in Singapore.

Product : SUBAL ND3 for NIKON D3
Link in english language : http://www.subal.com/en/digital/nikon/d3/nikon_d3.htm

1. Address
AQUATIC camera & video HOUSING
Attn: Christopher Ho
P. O. Box 122
Upper Thomson Road Post Office

Singapore 915705
Tel.: +65 9 189 6642
Fax:
chrissc@pacific.net.sg

2. Address
ScubaCam Pte Ltd
89 Short Street, #01-09 Golden Wall Centre
Singapore 188216
Singapore
Tel.: +65 6336 6186
Fax: +65 6336 6252
info@scubacam.com.sg
http://www.scubacam.com.sg

EDIT : Found a Seacam Product for Nikon D3
If budget is not so important, Seacam has an underwater housing for the Nikon D3, please take a look to the link with alot of pictures:
http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/dema-2008-seacam/

Preorder take around 60 days.

Best regards

Last edited: