Those were the days...

Status
Not open for further replies.
sbs99 said:
List of Singaporean things from the past, i missed them dearly. haha
People contribute to the list can? =D
1. traffic policeman/woman standing on raised platforms directing traffic at junctions, waving directions
10. Bug eyed old school Mercedes which was once the status symbol of many tow-kays in Singapore back then

11. The laughter, touch and presence of my beloved mum...
12. The meals my beloved mum used to cook for me such as black sauce pork belly, deep fried prawns...
13. The saturday makan lunch outings with my beloved mum, after I returned from work.. favourite makan places such as golden sultan food centre, lavander food court, geylang shophouses .. for teochew porridges..
Sigh..

not sure if anyone posted this :

Cartoon like
1) Thunder ~~ Thunder ~~ thunder ~~ thunderbird !
2) By the power of $@$EWR@#, i am HE-MAN ~~~~
3) Transformers ~~ , more than meets the eye ....
4) (This one my favourite , XIAO TIAN TIAN :bsmilie: :bsmilie: )

Those were the days my friend , we thought it will never end ...we sing and dance forever now and then .... lalalala .... damn i hate growing old hahah :bsmilie:

- Coffee shop with charcoal stoves to heat the water and huge coffee grinder to make coffee powder from coffee beans and they make "real" coffee...My parents used to carry our own teapot to the coffe shop downstairs to buy coffee.

- Coffee shops with a section dedicated to making "ba bao" and "tao sa bao" by hand. The baos were steamed on location in those giant bamboo 蒸笼. The coffee shop owner/worker always know where the different types of baos are located. Back then "ba bao" comes in 2 sizes. The small one is $0.20 and the big one is $0.50. The big one has a slice of hard boiled egg buried inthe minced pork filling.

- When you buy cai tao guay (fried carrot cake) from coffe shop it is served in a "bowl" made of banana leave. You can choose to bring your own eggs and the hawker will add that to the cai tao guay for you.

roygoh said:
- Coffee shop with charcoal stoves to heat the water and huge coffee grinder to make coffee powder from coffee beans and they make "real" coffee...My parents used to carry our own teapot to the coffe shop downstairs to buy coffee.

- Coffee shops with a section dedicated to making "ba bao" and "tao sa bao" by hand. The baos were steamed on location in those giant bamboo 蒸笼. The coffee shop owner/worker always know where the different types of baos are located. Back then "ba bao" comes in 2 sizes. The small one is $0.20 and the big one is $0.50. The big one has a slice of hard boiled egg buried inthe minced pork filling.

- When you buy cai tao guay (fried carrot cake) from coffe shop it is served in a "bowl" made of banana leave. You can choose to bring your own eggs and the hawker will add that to the cai tao guay for you.
Ah this I remember. When they roast the coffee beans you can smell the aroma a mile away.

U got street hawker's asst going from house to house with a piece of bamboo on one hand and a stick on the other creating a sound like "tock tit tit tock, tock tit tit tock" taking orders for kway teow soup.

Night soil carrier. Bucket system especially those in the town area. The buckets were replaced weekly by a man driving a big nightsoil lorry with 36 doors (compartment) for placing the buckets. The assistant would carry two empty buckets balanced on a pole over his shoulder where he would go from house to house to collect the bucket of night soil and replaced it with an empty one.

The left over food in each household were thrown into a empty kerosene tin and they were collected weekly by a swill collector to be used as food for the pigs in the farm. Each year, before Chinese New Year, the swill collector would go around giving out free eggs or chicken to each household as a form of appreciation for the swill given to them the whole year round.

Before the days of kerosene lamps, street hawkers used a kind of lamp with some kind of stone-like chemical in a container. When added with water, the reaction produced a gas which was lighted up and used as a lamp.

So nostalgic! If only we can return back to the happy-go-lucky 70s/80s, no such things like computers, handphones..etc ..... Kids nowadays do not know the meaning of childhood at all!
:devil: :sticktong

icarus said:
So nostalgic! If only we can return back to the happy-go-lucky 70s/80s, no such things like computers, handphones..etc :devil: :sticktong

aiyoh, like that also means no clubsnap, no online forums, no digital camera, no photoshop etc etc....

oh man, after reading this, reminded me of so much.

thanks for bringing back the beautiful memories.

wa lau, i so old already huh? :bsmilie:

reactan said:
aiyoh, like that also means no clubsnap, no online forums, no digital camera, no photoshop etc etc....

Yes, but then life in the 70s was not that stressful and people were much more carefree and nicer especially the kampong folks. Remember went trg during army days and asked the kg folks for direction. They gave us coffee and food without us asking. Try knocking on your neighbour's door today and see what you get. :bsmilie:

I remember nearly all of those things, except the 30c Cai Tao Kueh.Man, being born in the early 80s means that my generation is probably the one that is in the midst of the biggest changes in life.Imagine I can remember having sat in a old UD Nissan bus with the conductor punching my tickets, and today's wireless EZ-Link cards in a TIBS Bendy.Man...

I suppose nostalgia is one of the main factors that all of us choose to pick up photography.

73. Van Kleef Aquarium was still around...

74. thin foam self assembled aeroplanes, sold in packets (u still can get them in old toy shops in chinatown/ hong lim complex)

small green/red/blue toy soldiers played all over the house and playground

75. We need to rent the house phone from Singtel, blue/red/green

76. Coffee shop with charcoal stoves to heat the water and huge coffee grinder to make coffee powder from coffee beans and they make "real" coffee...My parents used to carry our own teapot to the coffe shop downstairs to buy coffee.

When they roast the coffee beans you can smell the aroma a mile away.

Coffee shops with a section dedicated to making "ba bao" and "tao sa bao" by hand. The baos were steamed on location in those giant bamboo 蒸笼. The coffee shop owner/worker always know where the different types of baos are located. Back then "ba bao" comes in 2 sizes. The small one is $0.20 and the big one is $0.50. The big one has a slice of hard boiled egg buried inthe minced pork filling.

When you buy cai tao guay (fried carrot cake) from coffe shop it is served in a "bowl" made of banana leave. You can choose to bring your own eggs and the hawker will add that to the cai tao guay for you.

77. Night soil carrier. Bucket system especially those in the town area. The buckets were replaced weekly by a man driving a big nightsoil lorry with 36 doors (compartment) for placing the buckets. The assistant would carry two empty buckets balanced on a pole over his shoulder where he would go from house to house to collect the bucket of night soil and replaced it with an empty one.

The left over food in each household were thrown into a empty kerosene tin and they were collected weekly by a swill collector to be used as food for the pigs in the farm. Each year, before Chinese New Year, the swill collector would go around giving out free eggs or chicken to each household as a form of appreciation for the swill given to them the whole year round.

Before the days of kerosene lamps, street hawkers used a kind of lamp with some kind of stone-like chemical in a container. When added with water, the reaction produced a gas which was lighted up and used as a lamp.

78. life in the 70s was not that stressful and people were much more carefree and nicer especially the kampong folks. Remember went trg during army days and asked the kg folks for direction. They gave us coffee and food without us asking. Try knocking on your neighbour's door today and see what you get.

when you need to press bell from ceiling of buses to alight :)

I miss van kleef aquarium! ... and the OLD fort canning hill...
and green-spot orange drink.

not forgeting giant robot. Anyone remember him? He had an egyptian like helmet.
10¢ can take bus from changi to jurong.

Making your own toys from wood (rifles, swords, bow and arrow ....)

73. Van Kleef Aquarium was still around...

74. thin foam self assembled aeroplanes, sold in packets (u still can get them in old toy shops in chinatown/ hong lim complex)

small green/red/blue toy soldiers played all over the house and playground

75. We need to rent the house phone from Singtel, blue/red/green

76. Coffee shop with charcoal stoves to heat the water and huge coffee grinder to make coffee powder from coffee beans and they make "real" coffee...My parents used to carry our own teapot to the coffe shop downstairs to buy coffee.

When they roast the coffee beans you can smell the aroma a mile away.

Coffee shops with a section dedicated to making "ba bao" and "tao sa bao" by hand. The baos were steamed on location in those giant bamboo 蒸笼. The coffee shop owner/worker always know where the different types of baos are located. Back then "ba bao" comes in 2 sizes. The small one is $0.20 and the big one is $0.50. The big one has a slice of hard boiled egg buried inthe minced pork filling.

When you buy cai tao guay (fried carrot cake) from coffe shop it is served in a "bowl" made of banana leave. You can choose to bring your own eggs and the hawker will add that to the cai tao guay for you.

77. Night soil carrier. Bucket system especially those in the town area. The buckets were replaced weekly by a man driving a big nightsoil lorry with 36 doors (compartment) for placing the buckets. The assistant would carry two empty buckets balanced on a pole over his shoulder where he would go from house to house to collect the bucket of night soil and replaced it with an empty one.

78. life in the 70s was not that stressful and people were much more carefree and nicer especially the kampong folks. Remember went trg during army days and asked the kg folks for direction. They gave us coffee and food without us asking. Try knocking on your neighbour's door today and see what you get.

79. 5 cents 10 cents small jelly were the rage

80. motorbikes with side cars

81. 'old school' mini coopers and vespa scooters were a common sight on the roads

82. more people using matchsticks than lighters for lighting their cigarettes.

83. haw par villa was very popular for photo taking sessions with families and tourists alike.

84. cassette tapes and vcr tapes were quite new then...turntables and records were more preferred choice

85. laser discs made its debut but died after afew years

86. german sherpards and goldfish were favorite choices of pets in the 80s

87.plastic swords were popular choice of weapons for the kids, the fanicier the better to make other kids jealous

88. 5 1/4 inch floppy discs were really floppy, prone to fungus/mould attacks

old style window panes with a handle and a hook to fasten, much much stronger than the current ones. Less falling windows from high rise hdb flats. Heh

Status
Not open for further replies.