Mask/Transformers/Centurion toys.
Playgrounds with sandpit
Non-aircon buses
Taxis with its gear shift behind steering column
Type writers

afbug said:
"Hello! Siang ka pager?!" :bsmilie:

Taxis with its gear shift behind steering column
haha, miss seeing these around. You can seat 2 passengers in the front seat with these!!

sbs99 said:
List of Singaporean things from the past, i missed them dearly. haha
People contribute to the list can? =D

1. traffic policeman/woman standing on raised platforms directing traffic at junctions, waving directions

2. Singapore folk songs which always appeared on tv in the late 70s, early 80s. Chan Mali Chan, Sepaku Geylang, Oh Singapura

3. Playing with erasers (and some others, colourful translucent plastic depicting animals / bottlecaps) in primary school....all the First King, 2nd King, 3rd King, Last King, etc inscribed on the erasers.

4. Dial type telephones that goes 'tek-tek-tek', then u hear the pulse dialling on the receiver

5. kids playing police and thieves at early HDB void decks

6. most kids eating 'sng bao' (ice popsicles) and round ice kachang in their hands

7. the very first McDonalds, A & W outlets, Big Rooster outlets, KFC

8. the round tv sets and radios...

9. the 'green-screen' early apple computers...

10. Bug eyed old school Mercedes which was once the status symbol of many tow-kays in Singapore back then

Haha....I cannot remember that far back...I am too old now my memory is failing me :bsmilie:

Why don't you go back to this thread you created almost 3 years ago to refresh your memory? :p

Anyway,

- Remember the Taiwan TV series "保镖" that received too many complaints about the poor and dragging story line it was taken off the air halfway through its telecast? Viewers never got to watch how it actually eneded!

- How about other series like "陆小凤", "十大刺客", "书剑恩仇录"? 刘松仁 acted as 陆小凤 and 郑少秋 acted as 陈家洛.

- 如来神掌 starring 董標?

- 梁醒波?

- 葛小宝?

- Wordstar?

- The beautiful and unique architecture of the National Theatre? I remember my parents bringing me to the hill behind the National Theature to watch concerts and performances for free!

- The A&W restaurant on Bukit Timah road, near to the former IE.

- The first KFC restaurant (Farrer Park?). They have waiter/waitresses back then.

By the way, some things never change...see the thread below:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=72637

reactan said:
haha, miss seeing these around. You can seat 2 passengers in the front seat with these!!

Those are some really cool taxis. They had the gear knob encased with little flowers/incects using plastic/glass! :bsmilie:

BTW, roygoh, the 2 photos are quite amazing. Very good. :)

The 'UP - UP - DOWN - DOWN - LEFT - RIGHT - LEFT - RIGHT - A - B - SELECT - START' by sbs99 from this thread is the classic one man! :bsmilie:

Ahahahaha
Stage 1: Jungle with exploding bridge.
Stage 2: Tunnel
Stage 3: Climb mountain
Stage 4: Tunnel
Stage 5: Ice field
Stage 6: Factory with claws and cargo train carriages!
Last stage: Devil's lair. Shoot the heart!

声宝之夜

sharp night
solid gold
donny & marie
starsky & hutch
hawaii five-o

supper in front of 同济院

If anybody would like to contribute photos, are welcome. Meanwhile i try to Google for photos as well, i will be put them in my flickr album, this is gonna be a great collection. =D

(i increased the space between points....eyes kind of blur liao going through the threads and picking points out....and lots of thanks to Roy Goh, provided lots lots of pointers, and of coz thanks too to the rest who have contributed!! =D )

1. traffic policeman/woman standing on raised platforms directing traffic at junctions, waving directions

2. Singapore folk songs which always appeared on tv in the late 70s, early 80s. Chan Mali Chan, Sepaku Geylang, Oh Singapura

3. Playing with erasers (and some others, colourful translucent plastic depicting animals (play "koottie" "koottie"...) / bottlecaps) in primary school....all the First King, 2nd King, 3rd King, Last King, etc inscribed on the erasers.

4. Dial type telephones that goes 'tek-tek-tek', then u hear the pulse dialling on the receiver

5. kids playing police and thieves at early HDB void decks, playing Hide and Seek (bi-bi).. with area of play ... the whole HDB block from 1 to 12 storey. Played zero point? Five stones? One leg? ?

Remember "Long Chiam Pas!", "Choot Ho Be!", "Oh Peh Som!", "4 by 4!" (when you need to divide your gang of 8 into 2 groups of 4, each will show either the palm or the back of the hand after shouting 4 by 4, when there are equal number of palms and back of hands shown, the persons showing the same side of the hand are group together, and the whole point is so that you can play "peng lia chat").

Remember a game called "Curry Yong Tau Fu"? I cannot remember what that was about already. Can anyone refresh my memory?

Remember a 2-person hand clapping song-game that goes "mi mi mi re mi fa so...me.... fa fa fa so fa mi re...so...."? Kind of silly, isn't it?

How about "Sed sed sed, ping pong ping pong, sally sally long chiam pas"? What was that all about?

anyone of you remember zee gu pak?

Remember taking bottle caps and flatten them into a flat disk with a hammer? punch 2 small holes on the disk, loop a string through the 2 holes, and then you can spin the disk at high speed by tugging and releasing the string. You can buy the plastic version from toy stores, but the ones made from bottle caps are deadly!

6. most kids eating 'sng bao' (ice popsicles) and round ice kachang in their hands

7. the very first McDonalds, A & W outlets (eg.The A&W restaurant on Bukit Timah road, near to the former IE), Big Rooster outlets, KFC (The first KFC restaurant (Farrer Park?). They have waiter/waitresses back then)

8. the round tv sets and radios...

9. the 'green-screen' early apple computers...Taipan, early tycoon game
Remember those ZX81 computers with 1K of internal RAM?
Remember the 16K expansion pack that costs more than $100+?
Remember Apple 2 computers with the 6502 processor running at 1.23MHz?

Then came AT computers...alley cat..and Loderunner...the one with the little stick figure which can zap holes in the floor...climb here climb there...haaaa

then there's Atari....nintendo....haaaa

then im sure most of you would be DAMN FAMILIAR WITH:
UP - UP - DOWN - DOWN - LEFT - RIGHT - LEFT - RIGHT - B - A - SELECT - START

Western bar! Donkey Kong!

10. Bug eyed old school Mercedes which was once the status symbol of many tow-kays in Singapore back then

11. Model shoot when the model hair bee-hive style

12. Getting free rides on lorry with no doors

13. PLay goli (marbles) at the playground with lines drawn in the sand

14. catch spiders/grasshoppers/ladybird and put them in 20 cent 'egg' shells (the ones which contain toys)
Catch spider during recess
- The "ang ge" and green backside type were among the most powerful
- The ghost type is lousy
- Bigger may not necessarily win
- Need a female to "long bu". Perhaps this was how the phrase "**** Spider" came about.
- Use match box with a leaf inside as the spiders' home. Also serves as platform for the spider fights.

15. Bus conductors with a sling bag tearing colorful bus tickets for pasengers. Remember the days when there are bus conductors, and the buses with a single door in the middle of the bus? The door never closed! You get your bus ticket from the conductor after you board, and the conductor will punch a little hole on the ticket, to indicate the stop number from which you boarded the bus. There is a 4-digit serial number on each ticket, and I used to collect tickets with nice numbers such as 9999, 1234, etc. Remember how the conductor had to perform hand singalling for the driver when the bus is turning or changing lanes?

16. Buckets/metal tins use as cash registers. (pulley system...swing round the shop)

17. packet milk in triangular packets! Magnolia. Pyramid shaped

18. mama shops selling chewing/bubble gums

19. everyone brushing teeth in school after reccess...
schools would provide a mug and toothbrush for brushing teeth after meals.....and everyone would brush their teeth after recess along the drains in school......sometimes those would end as water spitting competitions......see whose jet of water from his mouth would be the furthest, worse still, end up spitting water on each other.....

20. Playing with fireworks launched fom coke bottles

21. old style playgrounds with real sand, real concrete slides, 'dragon', swings, see-saws...for REAL kids...hehehehe

22. Hawkers pedlling their wares from brooms to mee rebus.
Remember the days when we supplied our own eggs when we buy cai tao queh at the coffe shop stall downstairs? We can get a good serving of cai tao queh at ~$0.30, and it is served on banana leaves. The banana leaf is folded into the shape of a cone, and a little piece of tooth pick is used to pin the overlapping parts of the leaf in place. Remember buying rojak that came in the same kind of banana leaf bowls?

Tok Tok Mee (actually this it is also called wan ton mee, but the man selling this will be on his motor bike, hitting a piece of bamboo, to make the "Tok tok tok" sound, sounds exactly like the bamboo thingy on the pucussion)

23. Hacks sweet (black) 5 cents for 2.

24. Play tikam tikam to win a prize, or those black bags with mystery prize, and those Lao Fu Tze tikam tikam to win coins and sweets

25. Panini sticker books, World of Animals, Age of Dinosaurs, Ghostbusters, and the smaller version of Ultraman sticker book with first ever translucent stickers

- Seperated into 3 posts, as it's too long...this is the first 25 -

26. Buy layang (kite) from mama shop and have an aerial battle with teh kampong boys

27. Play marbles with your favourite gundu.

28. when you had these slevees as library cards, and they would take a card out from the library book, and put it in the sleeves when you check out the book.

29. play hantam bola

30. pagers, no handphone back then....then came the 'big boss' bulky handphones, zone-phones (crap! haha)

31. Mask, Transformers, Centurions, Visionaries, He-Man, Smurfs, My little Pony, Carebears, strawberry shortcake, Bravestar, and wat's the cartoon called? The space one, with magnetic boots and motorized vehicles?

Watching cartoons all sunday morning!

32. Non-aircon buses with rattling metal floorings

33. Taxis with its gear shift behind steering column

34. Type writers (commonly used compared to now..)

35. The beautiful and unique architecture of the National Theatre? I remember my parents bringing me to the hill behind the National Theature to watch concerts and performances for free!

36. Remember the Taiwan TV series "保镖" that received too many complaints about the poor and dragging story line it was taken off the air halfway through its telecast? Viewers never got to watch how it actually ended!
Also...old shows like Ye Lai Xiang, and those by Hui brothers in their prime, and Lao Fu Tze series (acted by real people)

Knight rider....Airwolf!!! and blue thunder....Hawaii 5-0...the A-Team (Mr.T!!)....Wonder woman....Six million dollar man....
WWF (world wrestling federation)...hulk hogan, ultimate warrior, bam bam bigolo, ravishing rick rude, etc etc

37. Wordstar
I remember "Newsroom" back in 1984. I use Pagemaker now.

38. remember "ang sze goo ni" ("hong zi niu nai") was a popular brand also. Is that "Milkmaid" milk?

39. Remember the days when a few weeks before Chinese New Year, the provision shops stock up on the soft drinks, and stack the cartons about 2 meters high on the open space in fron of the shop? The most popular soft drink seemed to be F&N orange, in glass bottle, and placed in wooden cartons.

40. Remember the days when the Chinese wayang would set up a stage in the car park, and all the little stalls selling food or tikam will be set up around the audience area? I am most happy during wayang time as I can get to each my favourite snack "muah chee". There was a kind of board game that was similar to carrem, but the players hit the striker with a stick, like playing billiard. And there were all the different forms of tikam. One of which you pick from a board covered with many pieces of folded red paper, tear it off the board, look at the hidden number and try to match the number with the number of the available prizes; if you find a match then you get the prize; 5 cents for each try.

41. Remember the days when the man selling "mai ya tang" would walk the common corridors of the HDB flats, selling 10 cent malt candy? The cany is a thick sticky substance that he carried in a metal pail. When you buy, he will scrape a portion of that sticky stuff onto the ends of 2 long ice-cream sticks (or satay sticks).

42. Remember the other kind of white candy that came in a flat round metal container that has to be chiseled into small pieces by the candy man with a special tool? To attract attention he would announce his arrival to the neighbourhood by knocking the metal pieces against each other. (Ting Ting candy!!)

43. Remember the ice-cream man's bell?

44. Remember the days amusement centres were first appeared, and you can go to amusement centres and spend a few dolloars playing twenty-cent-a-game Space Invaders?

45. Remember the comedy sketches of Wang Sha and Ye Feng (Ah Bui Ah San)? "Ah di ah, li ar ga ar ga tio hor!"

46. Remember Redifusion, the cable radio that was perpetually going all day and night? There were 2 stations, Silver and Gold. I first heard about Jin1 Yong1's She4 Diao1 Ying1 Xiong2 Zuan4 on Redifusion, narrated in Hokkien by Wang2 Dao4, better known by his Hokkien name "Ong Do". How about Li3 Da4 Sha3 (Lei Dai Sor)?

47. Remember the "Kachang puteh" stalls at almost every cinema? Are there anymore besides the one at Cathay cinema? By the way is there still a Cathay cinema?

48. Remember the colourful paper ball that you inflat by blowing into a little hole on the side? When deflated, you can collapse it into a hemisphere and it looked like a Chinese hat.

49. Remember the sticky stuff in a little tube shaped like a tooth paste tube you could sqeeze onto the tip of a little straw and blow into ballons of different shapes and sizes?

50. Remember the little booth at the entrance of every HDB car park with the attendent issueing parking tickets (not to or kong, but to record the time you entered the car park) and collecting parking fees?

- Seperated into 3 posts, as it's too long...this is the 25 - 50 points

51. 'kaseng' transform and become one of the Americian favourite game

52. the hotel collapsed in 1986 on march 15th or 16th

53. kids then had those kinda pencil boxes with plenty of buttons.....and spring loaded with little gadgets that would pop out when you press the buttons....and in school they would be their desktop "warships" and when the buttons are pressed the pencil holder would point up the pencils....and another button to eject the eraser compartment....another button would shoot out the magnifier from one end.....and next one would pop the pencil sharpener out.....and there's even a thermometer for room temp.....i wonder what's that for

54. school halls with dark wooden flooring would always be white and dusty after every monday morning assembly, as the canvas shoes we wore would be fresh with shoewhite / shoe powder....hahaha....where's the shoewhite / shoe powder gone? those who forgot to wash their shoes on friday afternoons would try their best to "colour" their canvas shoes with chalk swiped from the classroom.....

55. remember those recesses that are twenty minutes long only, where you spend more time in the queue than eating alone.....and queueing at the bookshop for junk pencils and erasers....and cards.....haha

56. remember when you buy yakult just to peel off to see what's underneath.. if got star then you can pass to the drink stall auntie to exchange for toys ?

57. Bubble gum, and them licking the wrapping to transfer the "tatoo" on our arms

58. i remember last time cigarette 70 cents can buy liao. i remember got triple 5 brand cigarette. I remmeber got fanda green, yellow, red, orange...etc...all kind of colors.
last time pple smoke dunhill very proud liao....haha....

Remember that if you peel off the sides of a 555 cigarette box, a row of 3 coloutful squares could be seen. They really meant nothing, I guess, but some kid in my neghbourhood discovered the squares, and told the other kids that these were for some sort of lucky draw, and the silly me started picking up 555 cigarette boxes whenever I saw one, and peeling the edges to look at the colout squares.

59. Metal secondary school badge pin above pocket

60. Remember the time when the government encourages savings through schools? You have to buy the stamps and paste on the savings card. Once full, they will collect the cards and help you to bank 'it' in? 10 cents stamps?
POSB give out saving tins shaped like a spacecraft, squirrel (their mascot back then)...etc etc.

61. i think they still have this now .. but do u remember urself pestering ur parents to let u have a go at the engine-powered car at the void deck or some open area(toa payoh)

62. how can we forget xiao ding dang chocolate? there would be a new toy everytime. my fav toy is the 1 with a blower and a ball. just place the ball on top of the blower and blow.!

Kaka, 3 (or issit 5??) different colours with toys inside....they still have it in Malaysia...hehehe

63. anyone remembered ur pri sch ordering milk for the students. and there would be alot of leftover cardboard boxes? hee, tat can be use to link up to play choo choo train.

64. SBC (Singapore Boardcasting Corporation)
Not forgetting that 8Days was once called "Radio and TV times" at only 60c and in a small shaped like exercise book.

65. Young generation magazines with constable acai
hardy boys and nancy drew
the bookworm club

66. BATA was super branded

67. Sharity Elephant. The Courtesy Lion

68. Tamiya cars

69. Remember also the sweets like Sour Apple and Sour Lemon? The first time they appeared, they really were fun to trick friends who never had them before

70. Soccer - Quah Kim Song and his brothers Kim Lye, Kim Siak, etc, and sister Rosa Quah
Dollah Kassim, Mohd Noh, Samad Allapitchay
Eric Paine, Lee Bee Seng, Lim Chiew Peng, Edmund Wee
Choo Seng Quee, Fandi Ahmad was just a noob.

71. black and white photos were very popular, also are those taken at studios with specially ordered 'patterns' beside your photo, the poses were very 'old-school', colour photo was a very big thing back then. Before everybody loved sepia toned.

good example of comparion, courtesy of Roy Goh:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=72637

72. cameras using film....the flash bulbs are rotating, with four flashes in a cube, have to replace after four flashes.

- Seperated into 3 posts, as it's too long...this is the 25 - 73 points

thin foam self assembled aeroplanes, sold in packets (u still can get them in old toy shops in chinatown/ hong lim complex)

small green/red/blue toy soldiers played all over the house and playground

anyone still play paper bullets? ;p

I remember there's a thread also talking about this too... :think:

When you can virtually get away from paying taxes on income/profit earned!!! Half the time the records are missing. ;p

US Space shuttle explode in mid air in 1986 causing all onboard to perish.

Status
Not open for further replies.